“Great location”
Review of Cadillac Hotel

Cadillac Hotel
Ranked #257 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The hotel is quite new and modern and so it looks, and is, very clean.
There is no breakfast but the location is great, right at Venice beach front. (so it can be a bit noisy during the night.)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Ignore old reviews. They have remodeled the place. It's very clean with nice firm beds. If the sight of homeless hippies bothers you, spend your big bucks in Santa Monica. Remember, this is Venice Beach! The characters are characters. Being right on the Pacific Ocean is what I wanted, and the roof is a great place to watch the sun go down.

The front desk people are helpful, the coffee is good. The parking lot is very helpful: beach parking is difficult. Don't bring your Cadillac, though. The lot is for small cars.

We had a fantastic stay there. Walk over to Lula on Main St. for great Mexican food. The little joint on the corner works for breakfast. The only problem might be in the summer: if you open your window, it might get noisy. (They say the walls are thin; this wasn't a problem for us. I guess you might be taking a chance...) Otherwise: nice place. Try it out!

Room Tip: Ocean views everywhere. We stayed on the NE corner, which took us away from the boardwalk noise a li...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kozad
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The Cadillac Hotel succeeded in providing reasonably priced acceptable accommodation. Other than some spots or wear holes on the carpet the room was clean as was the rest of the building, the bed was comfortable although the pillows were thin (luckily I was alone and could pile both on top of each other), and the shower and bathroom were decent, with room service restocking and changing towels, etc each day. The wireless internet was quite good, and the counter staff were helpful, especially the bearded gentleman, and they try their best to give you a good room. You can also go up to the rooftop for good views, etc, but there's nothing really provided up there to make it comfortable other than a couple of broken chairs.

On the negative side the Venice area is not really the most salubrious around these days. A lot of homeless people live just outside the hotel, along the beach front, and other unsavoury sorts can tend to gather around. Although I never really felt threatened, I also didn't feel entirely comfortable walking around at night. It is however just a few blocks north until you hit Santa Monica and the vibe improves quickly. A lot of peddlers and legal marijuana sales are also just out along the boardwalk - fine if that's what you're after. Also the area is quite noisy until around 11pm - midnight (this was during midweek). Another minor beef was that the coffee machine in the foyer was broken down for the three days I was there until the morning I was leaving - annoying that they didn't even provide alternative facilities, such as instant coffee to fill in. With no airconditioning, I also imagine it could get very hot in summer.

Venice is also not that convenient to the main tourist areas, such as Hollywood, Downtown LA, or the theme parks. It's fine if you want a beach experience, but there's a fair bit of travelling to get anywhere else. Even Santa Monica is a decent half-hour walk away. It is possible to get the local bus to downtown, which takes about an hour and travels through some interesting areas that I was probably glad not to be walking through, but it is cheap at only $1.50. This bus goes quite close to the hotel and terminates at Union Station downtown.

All up the Cadillac was a decent performer at a reasonable price for LA. In future I would probably stay elsewhere, say Santa Monica if I wanted the beach, or otherwise nearer to where the other action is, but that's probably as a much a statement about the area in general as the hotel itself.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Boxing_Kangaroo
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed at The Cadillac on 16th & 17th March 2012.

After a 14 day business/pleasure trip I had stayed at hotels in Wst Hollywood, Downtown LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco & Denver. I found The Cadillac to one of my best hotel experiences. The staff were friendly and helpful. I particularly liked the fact that they didn't try to be someone they were not. No pretentiousness, no airs and graces, just down to earth folk that made you fell welcome.

The room I stayed in was excellent. TV, clock radio with iPod dock, safe, lovely double bed, reading material, a wonderful simple ensuite with basin, shower and toilet.

Everything was clean, tidy and well looked after.

Adjacent to the lobby was a great "common room" that displayed artworks, had a pool table, some guest male & female toilets and also free Starbucks coffee and lipton tea.

The location of the hotel is perfect. Right on Ocean Walk Blvd, so right in the thick of the action. Some would say this area is not the best part of town, but I found no problem with the locals. In fact, some of the less fortunate people that lived on the street were nothing to worry about. I guess they realise that the tourists are the ones that indirectly help them out by leaving tips/donations etc when they sell their wares and in some cases perform on Ocean Walk Blvd.

Although I stayed when the weather wasn't the best (rainy and windy) I had a great few nights at The Cadillac and would highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in Venice or in LA in general.

Room Tip: I think I stayed in the most basic room - so any one would be a good choice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Thank Tony Kate Charl... C
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The location of this hotel was great, however the walls are super-thin, leading to a very noisy hotel experience. I was kept up late every night there due to the noise level both inside and outside the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2012

my friend and I just spent 2 nights at the Cadillac Hotel in Venice beach. We were referred by my daughter, and she advised that it was a quaint hotel in a very neat part of Los Angeles. My 65 year old friend and myself were delighted with the hotel. It was spotless. Lovely linens, brand new bathroom, nicely painted room. Wonderful lobby with fresh coffee, 2 computers to check emails, and couches to relax on. The staff was extreamly helpful with directions etc. Yes, the homeless came out after dark, but we all knew about it. We will go back again for sure.
Gail Morrison
Terrace, BC

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights (Th-F) near the end of February 2012, and we definitely got our money's worth. We paid a few bucks extra for an ocean view room, which looked right out over the beach. Many other hotels in LA would charge $400+/night for that kind of view, and we got it for less than $200/night. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. If you don't want to spend the money for the ocean view room, they have a rooftop patio with good views, although there weren't any chairs or furniture up there. The hotel had no breakfast either, but it is near several good cafes and breakfast/brunch places.

The hotel is right on the boardwalk in Venice Beach, with all of its colorful characters. If you are from a rural area, it may seem a little intimidating. However, if you live in an urban area, you will feel right at home in this neighborhood. The only downside was that everything closed early. The boardwalk was relatively deserted after dark, and even the local bars were shooing us out by 11. (Maybe things stay open later in the summer?)

Parking was an adventure. When we arrived, the man at the front desk told us that their lot was full, but we could park in the "public lot" a half-block away. (The hotel charges $15/night for the parking, even in this other lot.) We drove around looking for the lot, could not find it and had to go back and ask him which lot he meant. Eventually, we realized the lot he was referring to was not a public lot at all, but the valet lot for a local restaurant. This caused us some confusion and concern at first, but the valet said it was fine because they have an arrangement with the hotel. This was actually a great solution for us because it was a half-block from the hotel, and we had someone keeping an eye on our car.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a four-star experience, spend the extra money to stay in Santa Monica or some other part of LA. However, if you want a decent room and view at half the price in an eclectic neighborhood, the Cadillac is a great choice.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view. It is not much more expensive than a regular room, and the view is worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
#11 of 355 in Los Angeles
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Cadillac Hotel? Share your experiences!