“Great view! ”
Review of Cadillac Hotel

Cadillac Hotel
Ranked #256 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Nice little hotel on Venice beach in need of some tlc. This hotel must have been great in it's day. The rooms and public areas could do with a little attention (a lick of paint, new carpets, some proper furniture on the roof) the lift badly needed cleaned when we stayed and the carpets in the hall on our floor. Although our room was spotless. Fantastic views! Right on Venice beach. Not much happens after 10pm though.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fraser H

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel twice, its unique as rooms are small but the location and price cannot be beaten. Right on the beach and in the heart of venice markets. Clean rooms, nice bathrooms, dont expect hilton style but unique accom. Love that you can sit in the windows and people watch and not be forced into an air con room without opening windows. No parking. Bus is outside 5 min walk. 20 min walk into town.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shellbella05
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was my second trip to L.A., in a couple of months, and this time around I wanted to stay on Venice Beach. This hotel was steps away from the beach and the boardwalk. When I walked through the lobby doors, my first impression was that it was very basic and minimal. It was nice and refreshing not to see a whole lot of furniture when you first walk in. I was able to be checked in right away and received a room facing north (any room facing north or west have a fantastic view of the beach). I had a queen sized bed and found it quite comfortable to sleep on. Even though there is a restaurant right next door, the noise had quieted down at a very reasonable time.

On the boardwalk there are so many things to do. You can rent a bike, shop, eat and listen to music at one of the many restaurants. Its about a 30 min. walk to the Santa Monica Pier. The beach was fantastic to just sit on, relax and watch the ocean. If you get a room with a view of the beach, it's nice to just unwind and watch the sunset from the comfort of your room.

The only things I have to say and give warning are that there is very limited parking. If you do have a vehicle parking is about $20/day (hotel), you'll pay a little more if the hotel parking is full and have to go somewhere else. When I walked into my room, the two things I noticed was the smell of bleach and the carpet had stains (dirt and/or bleach). With the heavy smell of bleach, I just opened the window to allow fresh air to come in. This cleared up the smell very well, by the time I went to bed it was gone. At night I like sleeping with the window open and had the room window open about an inch, bad idea. The wind from the ocean kept jiggling the window making a loud noise, waking me up. Once I closed it, I fell asleep again right away.

Despite the couple of dislikes, I would stay here again. I really liked this hotel.

Room Tip: North and West facing rooms have views of the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Janine C
Reviewed 3 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was looking for hotels in the LA area & this one popped up via Groupon during my search.

The good- Friendly & helpful front desk staff. Great location with a rooftop area for nice boardwalk & beach views. Our room was on the 4th floor. Bare bones furnishings but adequate. Linens & bathroom were very clean.

The bad- Parking, the hotel lot is small (20 spaces maybe?) There was valet parking closeby but we had to have our car out by 11am the next day for the restaurant's customers use. There is no air conditioning and the walls are thin, I was awakened several times out first night by "mating noises" from the next room.

The ugly- It did take me a while to get used to the stained carpet. Tar stains from the beach perhaps? The room was quite tidy but the stained carpet was a huge turn-off, I felt the need to keep shoes on.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank 1970Travels
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The location is wonderful. It's right on Venice Beach. Go up to the rooftop with a bottle of beer and enjoy the view and the ocean breeze.

The reviews from years ago made the place sound pretty scuzzy, but they remodeled it and it's just fine now. We stayed there a few years ago and had a great time. However, the prices have gone up and it's not quite so wonderful...but I'd still recommend the place.

They used to have a wonderful art-filled lobby, but now it's pretty barren. Maybe they were between shows, I don't know. They used to have an ice machine, but now they don't, and the too-California-cool desk dude suggested CVS, a pretty long walk for ice. (There is no room fridge.) They used to have a convenience store across the street; no longer. And the parking lot is still tiny, a pain to back out of, and twenty dollars a day. Do us a favor if you have a big car: pull all the way in!

Anyway, everyone should go to Venice Beach once, and this is a nice clean place to stay. Don't read the reviews complaining about the homeless people. Just be glad you have a nice place to stay; the homeless are harmless and don't even ask for money. (Why did we go twice? A daughter at nearby LMU just graduated. I don't care if I never see L.A. again...except for two museums: the stunning LACMA and the incomparable Museum of Jurassic Technology.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. (Duh!)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We were looking for spend some day on the beach with parking for our car and good money. First problem was parking, it was allready packed and those places who were free were occupied by forklift with workers who do painting on the house next to the hotel. Well after some talk with receptionist he moves his car and we can park but you need to be skilled driver to park there!
Staff was helpfull and lounge was big with free coffe , rooms were quiet ok, dont expect luxury its ok and clean! Only the double beds were really small for two people almost like a single bed. But location is really cool just few steps and you are on the Venice beach, few good restourants are near and you can also rent a bike in the hotel ( but check the bike first , because our have flat tire and we find out after we get out with it ) . In the evening surrounding of hotel start to pack with homeles people , but they were not bothering us ... just a bad feeling.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
#8 of 11 in Marina del Rey
The Kinney
The Kinney
#2 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Cadillac Hotel? Share your experiences!