“Best breakfast”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel
Ranked #82 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This hotel offers a great breakfast. The room is dark and feels like you have entered
Into a basement. There is no pleasant view so don't open the curtains. The bathroom had black mold and limited towels and soap. The most friendly people were in the breakfast area. The location is fine if your event is downtown. I found the area a bit scary. I would not choose this hotel again unless I had no choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Expensive for the kind of place it is. Several issues here that you may want to be aware of. During my first 3 night stay here, night 1 went by just okay as I was exhausted after work and checked in late. Night 2, coming back from work..I noticed the room TV turn on and off by itself, as much as once every 2 minutes.

Called the front desk and they were helpful to change my TV. 30 mins after it started happening again and this time they changed the satallite receiver box. Once again it started turning on and off when I called the hotel staff and they gladly put me in another room 1/3 the size of my original room. Was the old room inhabited already? The hotel only told me that this place was a 1880 property and anything could be possible.

Night 3, some serious rumbling and cutting noises in the walls. Called the front desk and they said someone was taking kickboxing classes and would pack up soon.

Bedcovers removed to sleep..noticed it spread out on the used bed as is and the bed not even made up! Shocking!! This place is unacceptable.

I must also mention the location. Not suitable for the faint of heart. The place is flooded with homeless right outside the door and you'd see them for as far as your vision would go. Cant think of taking late evening walks outside.

However, the only single positive experience I had here is the good quality breakfast. Without a doubt, this was good breakfast that most hotels may not offer free.

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank Creasians
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed there for 5 nights in our first visit to Los Angeles. The overall experience was great, the staff is helpful and polite, our room was spacious(two queen beds) clean and nicely decorated. the parking much cheaper that other hotels in LA. We had a noise problem with our first room, they were very understanding and changed us to a quiter room on the other side of the hotel. I think the LAAC has the potential to be a really great hotel if they only pay attention to some small things. For example, breakfast was healthy and tasty but kind of the same thing every day and that's so easy to fix. The hotel has such a relaxing feel to it, that the noise from the street becomes such a turn off. Just change the windows and the problem is solved. I would definitely stay there again, if i am back in LA, cause LAAC is more than a hotel, is a private club that accepts guests and you really feel lucky to be accepted. I just wish I had more time to enjoy the wonderful and free sport facilities. Next time.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I have stayed in this hotel 4 different nights in 3 different rooms, and they were all quiet, recently renovated and very nicely decorated. The hotel is walking distance to many sights, some restaurants and bars. Guests can take yoga and other classes, as well as use the athletic facilities. The hotel serves a good (and free) breakfast, and the bar on the third floor is very cool and hosts happy hour. My friends and I took one of our drinks to the rooftop where we had an amazing view of downtown. I did love the hair and shampoo products, but my one complaint would be the towels; they weren't very fluffy/soft but instead more on the scratchy side. Also, the jacuzzi in the women's locker room needs a facelift, as it is a little dingy and old. The dry and steam saunas were good, however!

I will definitely go back to the LAAC!

Room Tip: The rooms are only on floors 10, 11 and 12. I have stayed on the 12th floor twice, and both rooms w...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is a little hidden gem in LA! After flying 14 hours from Australia all we wanted to do was crash and relax. We arrived at the hotel not knowing what to expect....we were very pleasantly surprised. We were only there for one night but after enjoying it I wish we had stayed for a couple of nights. Great facilities (pool and gym) and large nice, clean and comfortable room. The view from the roof top was great. We sat up there and watched the sun set over LA, which was great. There's a 7/11 across the road and very short taxi trip to the LA union station train station. The hotel has a real retro feel about it. Great way to start your time in the USA .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trav34268
Reviewed 10 September 2011

With all the information on the website, I thought this place would be amazing.. The hotel is nice and the atmosphere is good but there are a few things lacking. The coffee maker in the room just had decaf coffee, no creamer or sugar and just one coffee cup. I guess my husband and I were supposed to share the cup. The rooms which they described as spacious were really quite small.

It would have been nice to have a bit more direction on the gym's layout and rules other than what I researched on-line.

There was a nice fruit plate waiting for us in the room with an apple, orange, banana, crackers and Babybel cheese. The room was nicely decorated and looked quite formal.

The free breakfast was good but you have to dress up for it. We were in vacation mode wearing shorts and t-shirts but had to dress up some for breakfast. But a girl has to get her caffeine somewhere!

The area is not a safe place for a single woman to be alone at night . Even just walking across the street my husband was asked for change by a guy on the street.

Kind of a mixed review.....but I don't think would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of our trip to the US and were very pleased with the accomodation. The rooms were absolutely enormous -ours was a king which had an interconnecting door to a 2 x double bedded room for our 2 kids. We could have all easily fitted into one room and still had room to spare.

We thought the location was fine, as it was close to the exhibition centre and also close to the metro station to catch a train to Hollywood. The facilities within the hotel are also good, with plenty of exercise options for those who are keen. Breakast was complimentary and had plenty of variety. We had dinner one night at the bar downstairs which had a good atmoshere but the food was average. The restaurant Louie Bottega was only a block away and was a good dinner option. All in all a good start to our holday and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family