“Unique character but customer service needs improving”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel
Ranked #87 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was our 1st choice for a downtown LA hotel. Location, fitness facilities, parking, quirkiness & friendliness were the attractions that bring us back. This visit we felt slightly less satisfied and it all centred around the customer service.It is clear that some staff haven't made the transition from interacting with longer term private club members to transactional 'hotel' paying customers. This was primarily evident in the breakfast lounge where the staff attitude was surly and off-hand and certainly not helpful if you hadn't visited before as it isn't necessarily clear what the food options are. But this attitude was also evident in the front desk staff who again come across as 'dis-interested'. In the end we enjoyed our stay and probably will be back - but if the LAAC ants customer loyalty they need to earn it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brick_one

Reviewed 17 November 2011

(A warrior traveler for work her and fitness enthusiast)
When looking for a hotel in downtown I wanted to find something that had a descent gym so that I wouldn't have to fight traffic just to go to a 24hr fitness. So this hotel sparked my interested when I did my research.

PROs: Awesome fresh complimentary breakfast. Nice spacious rooms with comfortable beds. The pool was awesome

CONs: It is a "private club," therefore you are constantly harrased for your ID/where you are going etc. I suppose the fact that I am t-shirt/short work out dress type of guy doesn't help. So on that note, if you intend to go for their "happy hour" it is a business attire (blazer and tie) dress code. When you check in they give you a pamphlet with all the "rules" etc. This place was just too uptight for my liking. I like to come and go as I like, be very casual, etc. The whole parking situation was a little confusing first. I got one answer from the check in person and when I was leaving the first time to get something to eat, I got an impatient answer as to the whole process of leaving in and out of the garage from someone in the club office and then the attendant. FYI, that area of town gets very shady at night so I wouldn't recommend walking out of the hotel.

I will not stay at this place again. I think I'd rather drive myself to the gym vs the convenience of the inhouse gym and incovenience of the "stuffyness" of this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Del102102
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, pleasantly surprised with the style and quality of the rooms. The room was large and spacious, huge cumfy bed, clean bathrooms. The staff were very helpful and very easy to deal with. The whole building felt very safe with only club members and guests being allowed in. The feeling that you have with this hotel is very "Mens Club" in now way implying only men are allowed, but the styling and emphasis on rules-rarely enforced and the big leather club lounges whisky bar and so forth. Defenatly recomend this place for something more than just a hotel

BTW- As the name of this hotel suggests it is a gym as well- *Amazing* facilities although i didnt use them at all.

Room Tip: Requested honeymoon- Upgraded the room to corner suite!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I had to attend a function in downtown L.A. and discovered this gem of a hotel. I was a little worried about my choice at first, as the lobby was just okay. The lobby has a dark green carpet that has seen better years, and the front desk staff aren't in a hurry to provide quick check-in service. Once we got to our room I realized that a hotel can't be judged on first impressions alone. We were given a beautiful corner room that was oversized, glamorous, and oh so comfortable! The room had a king bed with Frette linens, the bathroom had Frette towels, and there were two Frette robes in our closet - aaah comfort. The decor of the rooms is very designer, and at a rate of $140 a night -including breakfast for two -this is a secret worth sharing.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to get the lowest rates, and be sure to ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank annereviews
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Whenever I have a need to stay in DTLA, the LAAC hotel is a top choice when they aren't sold out and their rates are decent. If they keep their rates between $140-170 this is a good value for the quality of rooms provided. Yes, the rooms here are dark but well appointed and quite cozy and offer free Wi-Fi and a fruit tray and mints upon your arrival. Their themed suites are a bonus for the novelty but not worth the extra money; your best value lies with the Deluxe King. Check-In here can be slow as more times than not I only see one person occupying the front desk so allow yourself some extra time if you are in a hurry. Self Parking is in the structure next door and a great value compared to some other properties in DTLA. Overall, it has a great charm value, gives an asserted effort to detail, is clean, and definitely worth a visit if the price is right. I've stayed here on numerous occasion and have yet to be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank TheHonestWord
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Staying at the LA Athletic Club, it's as if you are transported back to the most luxurious 1930s hotel. I nearly expected Nick and Nora Charles of the "Thin Man" movies to be one of fellow guests.

With only 72 rooms, the service was beyond compare. Upon check-in, Alberto remembered me from booking our suite a week prior. The housekeeping staff was happy to come to perform a custom pickup of our room, and always smiled and said "hello" in the hallways. Speaking of which, these were the most beautiful hotel halls I have ever seen -- antiques, '30s style leather wingback chairs, and even a grandfather clock on every floor!

Our suite was incredibly comfortable, with two TVs, a wet bar alcove (with fridge) and the most luxurious sheets I've ever experienced. The decor was high-end '30s with all the modern features. All rooms come with free Wi-Fi, free hot and cold breakfast, access to all club facilities, and the cheapest parking downtown ($12 a night).

I was so happy this was not the run-of-the-mill Omni, Marriott, etc. You feel as if you are truly a guest in a private club. I cannot wait to go back again, because the LAAC made us feel as if we were old friends coming for a stay. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: When booking a suite, request a corner room for the largest. When accessing the parking garage, turn...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Harry M
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed here for a week and enjoyed it. Located at the heart of downtown Los Angeles, so a good base to start from (including close to Metro stops with quick connection to Hollywood). Quite an old-school, traditional atmosphere (in a good way) especially in the public areas. Rooms are modern and very comfortable. Mine was a little dark. Bed and bathroom all of a high standard, though I had to ask for hand soap which was missing. Breakfast included in price, omelettes made to order Monday to Friday were a real plus. Sports facilities great. Overall a very different kind of experience, it really feels like an athletic club with hotel attached and not the other way round - this may not suit everyone, but I liked it. Staff helpful and courteous, in an understated way.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo