“"Best Stay of the entire 3 week trip"!”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club
Ranked #79 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brisbane, Australia
“"Best Stay of the entire 3 week trip"!”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed in the LAAC for 3 nights on our way home from a 3 week west coast holiday. When we arrived the week after christmas the hotel lobby was filled with lovely christmas trees and a giant real ginger bread house. The staff we very helpful and welcoming and directed us to some great resturants with 2 min of the hotel. Our room was on the 10th floor and although this is the first floor of 3 for accomodation it was fabulous. Very soundproof and inpecibly clean. The best thing about the club were the sporting facilities. With 3-6 floors filled with gyms,spas,basketball and volleyball courts, spuash and handball, lockerooms, lovely swimming pool and a 2 lane running track. THe breakfast was also great. It is held in a lovely room with an omlet and waffle chef along with cold and hot food. This club is in a great location close to maceys,cafes, jewellery district and lots of public transport. If we ever come back to LA we will not think twice.

Room Tip: Any of the three floors are great. You can't hear the people above you if you are on the 10th an...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I'm more than a little reluctant to review this hotel, just in case everyone discovers it. Hidden downtown within easy walk of Staples Center and theaters, this understated hotel is fantastic. Huge rooms and suites, full access to the sporting facilities, and free breakfast (unusual in US) and internet. The Athletic club itself is a huge fitness facility with everything you could ask for x 10, The locker room attendant seemed a little daunting at first but turned out to be super helpful, as we're the front desk staff at all times. There is no valet parking, but there is a covered multistorey car park next door with easy access to the hotel, and it's cheap with validation. The only downside of this stay was the closure of the swimming pool for maintenance and renovation without any notice to either my travel agent or myself when I booked. It had been a major reason for the stay, (along with the location near The Orpheum Theater) so that was disappointing. However pool overhaul should be completed by now and it is huge. Everything else was so good this aberration was soon overlooked and forgiven.
Not the glamour of Hollywood, and a little rough on the streets after dark, but none of this matters if you need a discreet bolt hole downtown. Great bar half a block west too, Seven Grand.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank DMTM
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights during our honeymoon and were very happy with our choice. Oscar and Ernie from the front desk are amazing. Oscar recommended us some fine restaurants and Ernie amused us with his stories about Vegas while we were waiting for our taxi.

The room was great - big, warm and high quality materials. On our first day the cleaning ladies brough us a fruit basket.
I love the fact that there is a seperate vanity area between the bedroom and the bathroom!
The Spa is kind of old fashioned - but very welcoming after a day of wlking around LA!
The location is also great, very close to a metro station. We didn't try the fitness.

Our only complaint was the breakfast. It was not so good, and Mario (who seemed like the staff member in charge) was not very friendly. We ate way better at the Hyatt hotel.

If we'd ever come back to LA, i'm pretty sure we'll stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was our 1st choice for a downtown LA hotel. Location, fitness facilities, parking, quirkiness & friendliness were the attractions that bring us back. This visit we felt slightly less satisfied and it all centred around the customer service.It is clear that some staff haven't made the transition from interacting with longer term private club members to transactional 'hotel' paying customers. This was primarily evident in the breakfast lounge where the staff attitude was surly and off-hand and certainly not helpful if you hadn't visited before as it isn't necessarily clear what the food options are. But this attitude was also evident in the front desk staff who again come across as 'dis-interested'. In the end we enjoyed our stay and probably will be back - but if the LAAC ants customer loyalty they need to earn it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brick_one
Reviewed 17 November 2011

(A warrior traveler for work her and fitness enthusiast)
When looking for a hotel in downtown I wanted to find something that had a descent gym so that I wouldn't have to fight traffic just to go to a 24hr fitness. So this hotel sparked my interested when I did my research.

PROs: Awesome fresh complimentary breakfast. Nice spacious rooms with comfortable beds. The pool was awesome

CONs: It is a "private club," therefore you are constantly harrased for your ID/where you are going etc. I suppose the fact that I am t-shirt/short work out dress type of guy doesn't help. So on that note, if you intend to go for their "happy hour" it is a business attire (blazer and tie) dress code. When you check in they give you a pamphlet with all the "rules" etc. This place was just too uptight for my liking. I like to come and go as I like, be very casual, etc. The whole parking situation was a little confusing first. I got one answer from the check in person and when I was leaving the first time to get something to eat, I got an impatient answer as to the whole process of leaving in and out of the garage from someone in the club office and then the attendant. FYI, that area of town gets very shady at night so I wouldn't recommend walking out of the hotel.

I will not stay at this place again. I think I'd rather drive myself to the gym vs the convenience of the inhouse gym and incovenience of the "stuffyness" of this place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Del102102
Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights, pleasantly surprised with the style and quality of the rooms. The room was large and spacious, huge cumfy bed, clean bathrooms. The staff were very helpful and very easy to deal with. The whole building felt very safe with only club members and guests being allowed in. The feeling that you have with this hotel is very "Mens Club" in now way implying only men are allowed, but the styling and emphasis on rules-rarely enforced and the big leather club lounges whisky bar and so forth. Defenatly recomend this place for something more than just a hotel

BTW- As the name of this hotel suggests it is a gym as well- *Amazing* facilities although i didnt use them at all.

Room Tip: Requested honeymoon- Upgraded the room to corner suite!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I had to attend a function in downtown L.A. and discovered this gem of a hotel. I was a little worried about my choice at first, as the lobby was just okay. The lobby has a dark green carpet that has seen better years, and the front desk staff aren't in a hurry to provide quick check-in service. Once we got to our room I realized that a hotel can't be judged on first impressions alone. We were given a beautiful corner room that was oversized, glamorous, and oh so comfortable! The room had a king bed with Frette linens, the bathroom had Frette towels, and there were two Frette robes in our closet - aaah comfort. The decor of the rooms is very designer, and at a rate of $140 a night -including breakfast for two -this is a secret worth sharing.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to get the lowest rates, and be sure to ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business