“Shhh... It's a secret.”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel
Ranked #78 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I decided to choose the Los Angeles Athletic Club as our accommodation whilst traveling across the USA. We travelled from San Fran to L.A via bus and caught a quick 15 minute cab ($13- incl tip) from Union to LAAC.

We were given the keys to our room and directions to the facilities within the Athletic Club and Hotel.

Pros:
- tasteful very masculine decor fitting in with the old world feel of the hotel itself. Think dark woods, lithographs of 1920's men doing ridiculous poses and bronze statues decorating the hallways and common areas.
- amazingly large room. For the price that we were paying my husband and I were impressed with the rooms space. Yes it is a bit dark but it was furnished with leather and had 8 different lights to utilize.
- free WiFi. With owning an iPad it was really easy to see suggestions for meals and activities to participate in
-comfortable bed with beautiful linen. I might sound overly female about this but the bed (King Size Suite) was AMAZING. The blankets were heavy and warm and the pillows were down.
- breakfast buffet was delish. I don't eat eggs but it was a protein lovers delight!
- facilities were top class. Basketball conditioning classes, Swedish massage and a full pool in downtown la is a sight to baffle you. I forgot my suit at home so needed to buy one. The staff at the pool were friendly and helpful and I paid for a speedo suit much cheaper than I would've at home- and this was at hotel prices!

Cons:
- It does get deserted at night and the homeless will follow you into TA food stores (chipotle/subway). Heads down and don't engage with them and you won't find it a problem. It looks a bit eerie outside at nighttime but we caught the metro and walked to our hotel and didn't have a problem. Common sense goes a long way.
- some staff do look a bit disinterested and otherwise occupied. However. Be approachable and they will happily answer your questions. Be surly and a pain in the bum and of course you'll have problems.
This hotel is a well hidden gem and an oasis after spending long exhausting days checking out the sights and sounds of Hollywood.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank MrsShrt

Reviewed 20 April 2012

At first I was hesitant about staying in a hotel/ athletic club. I was actually going to stay at one of the other well know hotel chains. I am so glad I didn't. I love this place. My first visit to LA and this hotel was very convenient for my family. My husband loved the gym, my son (11) loved the pool, my daughter (18 months) loved the fresh fruit every morning for breakfast. I loved the omlettes and everything else, especially the steam room. It was a 9 -10 block walk to Staple center , which was great. There is a 7-11 across the street for any late night cravings. Two blocks up is a Walgreen/ Rite Aid. I guess this is important for those traveling with young ones. They always need something. Also the Metro was two blocks away. We took that to Hollywood Blvd for our tour. Parking was $12.00 a night which isn't bad. The staff wasn't too knowledge about places to eat locally besides a Thai and Sushi. But we found an IHOP, California Pizza Kitchen, and Morton Steak all in walking distance. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit. Hope this helps

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Schynel B
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Lots of history here, so much to explore and if you stay as a guest you have full rein of the gym, all 5 or 6 floors of it! I lived here for a month back in 2006 when there was a delay in my apt building opening. I liked it then, but love it now since it's been renovated. I stayed here for my wedding weekend in Feb/12 as did over 30 of my wedding guests. Everyone loved the hotel, the service, the location and the rooftop! Highly recommend. Excellent pricing too. Teri in group services was the best to work with. Oh and the free breakfast is SO good, hot and cold items, not just continental.

Room Tip: 12 floor is the top and so has the best views. Suites are small, so for a family, you are better of...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I booked the LAAC to attend the Pac12 basketball tournament at Staples Center. The hotel is about 1 mile away so within walking distance. The building is definitely older but has been remodeled and kept up to date while still retaining the feel of an older era. The room was large by current standards. The long desk was very convenient. The LCD TV was mounted on one side while the other side was perfect for my laptop, with power connections and the free WIFI. The King bed was very comfortable, with a cushy but firm pillow top. The included breakfast buffet was very good. Lots of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs that were not dry from the warming pan and made to order omelets. Checkin was a little slow but overall service was good and the staff was friendly. The room rate was not cheap but I was very happy with this facility.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bobwins
Reviewed 23 February 2012

At first I was a little taken back that my wife booked us into an "Athletics Facility" but upon arriving I was instantly charmed. They kept the old-school boys club look on the restaurant floor which was very cool to behold. Lots of sports facilities (yoga, squash, full basketball/volleyball gym, length pool, sports shops, bar and lounge, etc).

We loved the dark feel and all the decorations. The pictures of the 1920's dudes flexing kept us amused when we were exploring every floor. Rooms were excellently decorated and very clean. We had a king bed and it was a very comfortable sleep. Good AC unit which I used, to my wife's displeasure, since they kept the rooms a little warm for my taste but I am from Canada :D

We had our breakfasts included and that was a personal favorite. The omelet chef is a genius...best omelets ever. Full buffet with lots of healthy options including yogurt and fresh cut fruit, milk, juice, etc and the bacon, sausage, eggs, french toast staples as well. We never had dinner here so I can not speak to that.

Great location since the Metro is just 2 blocks away and you are right in the Jewelery District. Pretty close to Macy's as well.

Also, when staying here definitely do not miss the opportunity to go to Bottega Louie across the street and get the Chicken Parm (biggest I have ever had).

I have nothing but the best to say about this place and will probably stay here again if we come back to LA.

Room Tip: There really is no view since you are smack downtown and the 3 floors of rooms are exactly the same...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Gorgeous decor that reminds me of MAD MEN, with a dark men's club feel. Only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because the bathrooms seem to have missed the modernization trend. As noted in some reviews, LAAC is right in downtown LA so there are homeless people around especially at night. But less than a mile walk to the disney concert hall, near fabulous restaurants, and a good value. I'll come back.

Room Tip: Avoid 1224, right next to the housekeeping closet
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I was not expecting too much as most of this building is a gym. Boy was I wrong....I stayed in the Bruin Suite for a few nights and this hotel has made my top 3 list in ALL of LA. The furniture was comfortable. Amazing bed. Nice low lighting. A kitchenette, living room and huge master! I simply can't say enough about this gorgeous place to stay. I wish I could have stayed even longer for business because I so looked forward to the end of my work day where I could go unwind in this perfect hotel room.

You will not find another hotel room in LA that is as unique and beautiful as this was!

Room Tip: Bottega Louie Restaurant is only 2 blocks away..it's not to much $$ and the food is great! Pa...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business