“Nice hotel, great location downtown L.A.”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club
Ranked #80 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Seattle, Washington
“Nice hotel, great location downtown L.A.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was nice and had a great "old money" feel to it, lots of dark wood, really ornate trim in the restaurant bar and conference rooms.
The hotel room itself was nice and updated. Slightly small but adequate.
There was one problem, it seems my room was right above the boxing ring floor so when they had a kick boxing class my room literally shook. My water shook off the desk onto the floor. I honestly thought it was an earthquake. Seems that the two days I stayed there, there was a kick boxing class at like 6 that lasted 1 hour. I called the desk and they didn't seem to know anything about it, however I can't imagine I was the only one to ever call.
minus that mystery, the hotel was nice. I got a great price on it and would stay again if that same deal became available.

Room Tip: Don'[t get a room on the 10th floor above the boxing ring. if you do, remember it is not an eart...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Beverly Hills, CA
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My Grandfather was a member of this venerable club and loved the Squash courts. I was happy for a chance to stay in their newly renovated 'hotel'. The hallways are charming with vintage photos, clever details and style. The rooms are a bit dark, but charming and acceptable. But beware.... although the hotel is a smoke free environment - I haven't drowned in as much cigarette smoke as this since traveling through the Middle East.

The hallways smell of it. It's impossible to use your air conditioning as it circulates cigarette smoke from the other rooms. You cannot open your windows so there is no relief. There is clearly no enforcement of the hotels own policy. Very disappointing. It's a toxic environment. It feels like Cairo or Beijing, not Los Angeles. What a disappointment!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank dadadiva
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
dadadiva,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, we appreciate the feedback. I apologize about the heavy smoke smell and want to assure you we ar 100% non smoking, and a $500 smoking fee is applied to anyone caught smoking anywhere in the building. The guest smoking during your visit was indeed charged and these issues do not occur often, as everyone who signs our registration cards have to sign that they are a ware of the $500 smoking fee. Again I apoligize and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Mike Brennan
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Many hotels, restaurants, bars, and especially clubs have come and gone in the past 100 years
while the LAAC has stood the test of time. It’s an old school 12 story building that has less than 100 rooms. So, you don’t have to worry (as much) about the many people in the countless number of rooms making noise in and outside of the rooms. For such an old building with a gym and pool indoors the facility and rooms are fairly clean and has an old school homely feel to it.
Hallways are adorned with vintage photos from athletes in the past. The rooms are rather dark but there are tall windows to accommodate for that. The bathrooms are definitely look like something out of the 20th century but like I said it seemed fairly clean and renovated properly over the years. Overall, the place is just gorgeous-- I’m suprised it falls under the 3.5 star class.
For hotel guests there is no fee to try out the gym, sauna, spa, basketball court, or race track. Pretty sweet.
Be sure to keep your parking stub with you at all times in case you want to drive in and out of the hotel as you might be charged for the day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank monica k
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family and I went to California for Spring break vacation the week of April 7, 2014. We spent the weekend in Santa Barbara (awesome!) and ended the last few days in LA at the Los Angeles athletic Club. This is where the excitement of the trip begin to go down hill. The majority of the employees, namely the check in staff, spa and pool staff, and shop staff, act as though black people should not stay at this facility. See incidents below, just to name a few:.
1. Check in staff- no eye contact, mumbling, no direction as to where to find room, parking, etc.
2. Walked in gift shop (the one in the pool area) to check out paraphernalia, the one worker in the shop walked out a side exit (did not greet me at all), then she came back (I guess she thought I would leave), still did not speak until I said hello.
3. We were there Monday-Wednesday, hotel wasn't crowed at all. Called on Monday to schedule a massage, I was told, after being asked to hold and hearing odd conversation in back ground, that they would not have any appointments until that Thursday. Oddly enough, I was checking out that Wednesday. I do realize the club have outside guests as well, but based on treatment before hand, I really didn't believe there was truly no appointments until that time.

Although the hotel has some nice décor (beautiful roof top experience!) the atmosphere created by some of the employees really made the stay bad. Especially for my children, who also notice unpleasant attitudes from the staff, which made me have to have the inequality speech with them!

I

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Erica M
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Erica M, Thank you for submitting your review, the feedback is much appreciated. I apologize about your stay with us and assure you I will be coaching all staff in regards with this review. It’s unacceptable and this lack of guest service will not happen again. Guest satisfaction is very important to us here at the club, please contact me so I may look further into this matter, my apologies. Kind Regards Mike Brennan.
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Booked a room at the LAAC one day prior to arrival. What a gem! So much character and history in the building. Guest rooms are very nicely furnished. Only downfall that there wasn't enough time to explore the exercise amenities. Planning on returning within next few months. Other reviewers mentioned about noise from outside. Its true. While I didn't hear noise from neighboring rooms, definitely did from the early morning delivery trucks outside. Oh well...still a gem!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah S
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Sarah S,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I'm sorry to hear you didnt have enough time to explore the club, hopefully next time you are able. I apologize about the noise from the traffic and assure you we are looking into this matter to ensure all of our guests have a quiet room. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Kind Regards MIke Brennan
West Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed five nights and the service and accommodations were excellent. Yummy breakfast buffet and access to the entire health club was fantastic. Unique, historic, and a can't miss. Plan to return on our next visit, but will keep the memories of this one for a while.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Thomas58078
Thomas58078,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, as well as our breakfast and athletic facilities. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Kind Regards Mike Brennan
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I booked this hotel for a one night stay as my partner likes to be near a gym and it was a fantastic experience. The room was clean and comfortable and the facilities were incredible. The Club has sporting memorabilia throughout and has some really cool, old-world club interior designs, each restaurant and area is designed differently. We had happy hour and dinner at the restaurant and the food was delicious and reasonably priced - the seafood cocktail was filled with fresh seafood and the steak cooked to perfection. Breakfast was complementary and for a free breakfast was both delicious (there was bacon) and plentiful. Excellent service from check-in to check-out and highly recommend.

A Macy's and many restaurants within walking distance makes it a great location too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily C
Emily C
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review. I am glad you enjoyed our restaraunt options at the club as well as the complimentary breakfast. I will pass your kind words to our Front Desk team and hope to see you soon. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Kind Regards Mike Brennan