“Club & Hotel, a Perfect Mix”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club
Ranked #79 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Club & Hotel, a Perfect Mix”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As a member of the LAAC, I recently spent 5 delightful days in a completely self-contained world, where all of my needs we're provided for; lodging, dinning, swiming & physical recreation, business & social interactions, were closely at hand. The club's historic 1911 building, is beautifully appointed and both members & guests take great pride in it's maintenance. The rooms & suites are all very nicely appointed, large & commodious.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 23 September 2014
Michael ES
Thank you for submitting a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am glad to hear you were able to utilize all of our facilities and hope you come stay with us again upon you next visit to downtown. Again thank you. Kind Regards Mike Brennan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The LAAC is a hotel and athletic club and it has been providing both services superbly for a very long time.
On the hotel side, it provides good hotel rooms, excellent bathroom facilities. Nice comfortable bed, small fridge in the room, and excellent wifi.
I found the service was excellent - nothing was a problem.
The breakfasts are good, and one pleasant surprise was the rule of no cell phones in the dining area or bars - it meant that I really did get a break while I ate.
There are excellent business services for the working traveller - you can work in one of the large lounges, or there are special business rooms.

But it is on the athletic club side that you really get a treat: The gym facilities are perfect - I wish that my home gym was as good - full service gym, classes, brilliant swimming pool, great service. And you can get a temporary membership if you in town for a short time.

Some of the facilities seem a bit tired, but there are renovations going on, and it really just adds to the charm of the place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
TF
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am glad you were able to venture out in the club and see all of our wonderful amenities the club offers. We are currently in the beginning phase of our Locker Room renovation and the plans look fantastic. In the upcoming month we will have photo concepts posted so memebers/guests can see all the great additions. Kind Regards Mike Brennan
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were expecting to stay with my wife's college roommate who lives in downtown L.A., but on our arrival at Union Station she told us she had arranged for us to stay at the LA Athletic Club, of which she is a member, directly cater corner from her building. And what a treat it was! The room was spacious and attractive, the décor modern yet appealing, the bedding totally luxuriant, and the Wi-Fi speedy and reliable. Had we known we'd be staying there, we would've brought athletic clothes to make use of the gym or pool!

Parking in the garage next door costs $20 a day, which is not out of the norm for large cities. And we found that LA's much-maligned downtown is at last coming back, with several happening new eating establishments within a 10-minute walk of the Athletic Club and the rediscovery of the architectural heritage in the century-old buildings downtown. Overall, we were extravagantly happy with the LAAC as our downtown "home"!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Trentonmakes,
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope next time you bring you work out gear so you can enjoy our wonderful workout facilites. I will share your compliments with our team. Kind Regards Mike Brennan
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked a last minute hotel in downtown LA as I needed to be near the USC campus. This area has been a bit sketchy for a while but seems to be making a comeback. The LA Athletic Club is a very nice old hotel with history. The staff was friendly and offered to upgrade me to an available suite. Room was large and quiet. The bathroom was a little tired, however, all amenities were there including lots of hot water and pressure. Free breakfast in a very nice dining room. Did not have time to use the included athletic facilities but they would be a great asset on another trip. I tend to look for hotels off the beaten path - this one was a winner.

Room Tip: upper floors are very quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear blueskyannie,
Thank you for submitting a review, the feeback is much appreciated. I am glad we were able to accomodate last minute. The building was built in 1912 and we have been here ever since, so you can see all the beutiful history and architecture as you walk through our facilities. We will be going through a light renovation with our bathrooms in the near future, touching it up. I hope upon your next trip to downtown you stay with us again. Again thank you, Kind Regards Mike Brennan
Hollywood, FL
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The LAAC was one of a few recommended downtown hotels (based on proximity to scheduled business meetings). I am so glad I chose to stay here, and selected "run of the house" for my room type. When I checked in, I was given a suite - it was fabulous! I did use the athletic club in the morning and really enjoyed the workout. I did not have time to swim in the historic and stunning indoor pool, but maybe next time! I did eat in the restaurant and thought the food was excellent. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: roll the dice, and choose "run of the house" for room type -- I lucked into a suite!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear kmccolli,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am happy you recieved an upgrade and enjoyed your stay. We do our best at going above and beyond, and at times when occupoancy allows we are able to uprgade. Booking "run of the house" is a roll of the dice, but I suggest booking the room type you need and then calling us for any special request, including upgrades. I hope upon your next visit with us you are able to enjoy our wonderful pool. Kind Regards Mike Brennan
Seattle
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had to go to LA to attend a large conference this week. I had never heard of the LA Athletic club, but it was on the list of conference hotels. As I am trying to work out more, I thought I would give it a try. I am so glad I did.

I was a bit concerned with the street. Lots of transients, not very clean, but hey, it's downtown LA.

I checked in and was given a great room. Very large, with an exercise bike and cool historic art. The bed was amazing. Great mattress, pillows, and sheets. The room was dark and quiet. Honestly it was the best sleep I have had in months.

The gym and locker facilities were great. Something for everyone - basketball, cardio, yoga, a pool - even a sauna with padded chaise lounges.

Breakfast was simple, but nice, the wifi was fast and free, and the service was friendly.

There is an outdoor deck on the roof with a great view of downtown.

I really enjoyed my four night stay. Thank you LA Athletic Club!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kamiak
Thank you for submitting your review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am happy you were able to enjoy our many amenities available to our guests, and the view of downtown from our roof deck is one of the cities hidden gems, so I bet you got alot of great pics. Kind Regards Mike Brennan
Scranton, PA
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Wow. What can I say. Having traveled across North America, Europe and the Carribean, I have stayed in numerous hotels and hostels of all classes. Of all of the overnight accommodations I have never been told that "I don't have to stay here if I didn't like the fact that my 11 year old would have to share my bed or pay the $15 per night for the cot that would block the exit in my small room. I booked a room on Hotwire for 2 adults and one child only to find that it was a single queen sized bed. I'm a very easy going person and I don't have a problem with working with what I have, but, when I'm told that I don't have to choose to stay here that really disgusts me. The room was not the issue but the staff's attitude. Looking at previous reviews it appears this is a consistent issue with this hotel. Although front desk supervisor Oscar was correct in saying that I didn't have to stay here, where else am I going to find a hotel in the evening of my check in. That's not his problem right? I chose to stay the night as I didn't feel I had much of a choice. I am from out if town and I don't know what areas of LA are safe. I thought I would approach the front desk again tonight and speak to the young gentleman and see if there was the possibility of moving to a room that could accommodate us. He said that I could check in the AM and see if there would be anything available. He was very nice and felt bad. I said thank you I would do that and proceeded to let him know that it really was a tight space. Oscar piped up and again said that I didn't have up stay here and that I could have gone somewhere else. I don't think this hotel is a bad hotel but I have never felt so disgusted at the lack of caring by a staff member and the feeling that I did not belong there. If I had been told that it would be a tight squeeze tonight but they would try to accommodate me I would have been perfectly happy. I can work with small spaces but what really bothered me was the lack of customer service. To this hotel I apologize that we are not one of the elite1% that you prefer to stay at your hotel but a working family. If at all possible I would stay else where.

To the manager that I'm sure will respond and tell me that he will address this.

1) Telling me that you will address this, quite frankly, is not enough.

2) I understand that even though I booked through Hotwire and specified 3 guests your policy which was verbally told to me "only reserves a queen bed for you Hotwire people" is not satisfactory. I understand the you were fully booked that night but the reservation clearly stated 2 adults and 1 child.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank dbamkin
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Again I do apologize about the issue, and addressing it is ensures it doesn't happen again. The guest service was lacking and unacceptable and that issue will not happen again. We take pride in our guest service and it's unfortunate when an issue like this happens because it leaves a bad impression on the entire team. As I explained in the previous review even in the case of putting 2 adults and 1 child on a resevation doesn't gtd you a room with 2 beds, only booking the room type specifically will get you the room. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you via phone so please at your convinence contact me so we may discuss this matter. Again I apologize about any difficulties this may have caused you during your travels. Kind Regards Mike Brennan 213-630-5247