“Great Alternative to Normal Downtown LA Blah Hotels”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club
Ranked #79 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Minneapolis
“Great Alternative to Normal Downtown LA Blah Hotels”
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I've been travelling to downtown LA for years and have always bemoaned the lack of interesting, high-quality hotels that caters to business travellers downtown (i.e. Kimpton-type of hotel). Tried the LAAC on a recommendation for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The rooms are well-appointed, free wi-fi, and the bed was absolutely fantastic. Small niceties include a complimentary plate of fruit and cheese/crackers in your room upon arrival. I really enjoyed free access to the excellent fitness facilities this full-service gym has to offer, including more equipment one could ever dream of in a typical hotel fitness center (if you are a swimmer, the LAAC includes an indoor 5-lane, 25 yrd lap pool bathed in sunshine - fabulous!). An excellent cooked-to-order breakfast buffet is included in the cost of room. Downsides include a somewhat inattentive staff (tipping - at least for food services - is not permitted apparently) and there are some areas that are showing a bit of wear and tear. If you wouldn't enjoy a clubby, throwback ambiance, the place isn't for you. Overall, I thought it was a great value and I have booked a return trip next month.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MplsBoys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Montreal
Reviewed 9 December 2009

My husband chose this hotel while attending a conference and by reading the review I wasn't sure where we would end up. Fortunatelly for us, this happened to be a great choice !

I could relate a lot with what amhp46 wrote just before me !

The room was a bit small but nicely decorated with this old private club look which it used to be, really clean and confortable. We got free internet, a free breakfast buffet with a huge choice and a chef who can cook fresh waffles or eggs/omelette to our liking.
Parking fees was only 9 $. A great deal for the location and for what we got !

There is really nice sport and fitness facilities free to use when you stay at the hotel, if you're up to it !

It is also well located a few blocks away from the metro station 2 Dash buses lines at the corner of the street. A good choice of restaurants nearby and a few bars. I never felt in danger in anyway not even when I was visiting alone.

The people at the front desk were really nice and helpfull ! I visited while my husband was at his conference. All of their suggestions were valuable. They just added the plus that made our stay there so great.

Friends of our stayed at the Hilton Checker's nearby and their room was bigger but they didn't get as much as us and paid more... Next year, they will be coming at the L.A. Athletic Club hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank plannerHaolic
Baltimore
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I stayed at LA Athletic Club in October 2009 for business. The rooms are plush and elegant and meant to evoke the atmosphere of a posh historic club. My room was decorated with deep chocolate brown walls, carpet and bedding with touches of cream. The walls have old 1930's photos of athletes to suggest the history of the building. The bed was wonderful--plush and infinitely comfortable with feather pillows and luxurious sheets. My room had a coffee maker, thermostat, plush white bathrobe, mini fridge and flat screen tv. The bathroom was plain but spotless. A good free buffet breakfast is included: bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, custom omlette station, french toast, fruit and cereal bar, fresh juices and coffee.

Hotel guest have free access to wifi and the impressive gym facilities. The pool and basketball cours are beautiful but I only used the women's sauna and jacuzzi. Towels, wraps, lockers with keyed locks, lemon water, showers with soap and shampoo are all provided for free. During the weekday evenings when I used the sauna it was almost empty and just wonderful.

I found the staff and maid staff to be very friendly and helpful. The first evening, a plate of fruit, cheese, crackers and mints was left in my room. I arrived earlier than I expected and the hotel was very busy with wedding guests but I stepped out for lunch and was able to check-in to my room around 2:00. The bag-check is free.

The man at the front desk recommended an excellent French-style bistro, bakery and restaurant (Louie) which was a few blocks away and I ate most of my meals there. The neighborhood is almost abandoned at night since it's the business district but there are a few scattered restaurants, a 7-eleven and a Macy's shopping center within walking distance. The subway is about 2-3 blocks/5 minute walk from the hotel.

I came for the Adobe Max conference and it took about half an hour to walk to the convention center. The conference also provided free shuttles to the convention center which I took from the Sheraton hotel, about 2 or 3 blocks (5 minute walk) up the street.

I booked the LA Athletic Club because all of the hotels affiliated with the conference were full. I had a friend who stayed at the Sheraton and after seeing their room I was so glad I stayed at the LA Athletic Club--it was less expensive and just had more character . It didn't feel like a cookie-cutter hotel chain and the elegant furnishings, wonderful gym facilities and helpful staff really mad my stay enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank amhp46
Berkeley, Ca.
Reviewed 16 March 2009

The Los Angeles Athletic Club is an odd duck as a hotel, which might be why there are so few reviews on Tripadvisor. Most of its 12 story Downtown LA building is taken up with seem to (non-athlete) me to be topflight athletic facilities. There's what I'm pretty sure is a full length, multi-lane swimming pool with a kiddie pool next to it. There's a basketball court that might be full length too. There are exercise machines, a sauna, even a billiard room. The hotel rooms only take up the top 3 floors and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of people staying there one Friday night. I thought they might be there more as a convenience for club members and their families than as a full-fledged hotel. The floor by floor dress code (I kid you not) explained on a paper in my room might fit that image.

The rooms are extremely dowdy. The place's elegance has a faded a bit too much, at least in the guest rooms. They're so dowdy that the club plans to renovate them this summer into a richer, retro, yes clubby look. They had photosimulations of the rooms posted on the floor where I stayed. It might have been nice if they'd told us this on the website. For now, the rooms are just tired, the chairs, all the furnishings, the bed lines are all faded. There aren't enough light fixtures in the room, though mine got some eastern natural light, amidst the buildings of Downtown Los Angeles (I liked that part). The carpet was really stained all over the place, not something I normally notice. I don't think there was true dirt around and nothing bit me, but it did add up to a depressing feeling.

I'd note parenthetically that I tend to discount complaints on Tripadvisor that something is, horrors, old. Some people seem offended that buildings--like, say, the Waldorf-Astoria--were built more than 10 years ago. But the LA Athletic Club is old in the bad sense. After the renovation it could be much better.

I didn't feel a lot of warmth from the people working there. Most were OK, but at least one seemed to be mocking me, not a feeling I usually get in a hotel. Maybe by wearing a daypack backpack I was violating the dress code! It really didn't work well when I tried to check in (at normal time, with a reservation) and the front desk clerk called and called housekeeping to find an available room.

Positives: Well located within Downtown LA, close to most Downtown locations and plenty of transit including numerous bus lines and Metrorail lines. They included a free, large, if mediocre breakfast in one of the many dining rooms. City views of a historic part of Downtown LA. A roof deck with nothing but some chairs on it, but even better city views. All those athletic facilities, which might be good with a kid.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank wanderer
Fla
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Stayed 06/08; friendly greeting; large room - clean although the building is a bit old (ie. rug).

PROS:
1. Inside basketball court
2. Inside track and pools
3. Very high-quality Kaiser gym equipment (high pressure) -two floors of weights and good stuff

CONS:
1. surrounding area of LA is typical big city.. not very walkable

• Liked — Close to business meeting
  • Disliked — Its way too quiet - ie non-existent social scene
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Son-of-Poochmas
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2007

I spent a weekend here -- first time in downtown L.A. -- for a business conference and frankly wish, in hindsight, that I'd booked elsewhere.

It's certainly a popular place and was sold out for our weekend but the room was beyond depressing (I rarely do this but asked to move) and so was moved to the only other room available (which they told me was smaller) and because it was smaller it didn't have, for instance, a mini-fridge. No big deal but rather silly. Both were depressing; gray in decor, charmless, a nylon bedspread, and no view out of the windows in either room. Meaning not just a bad view but you looked at other guest rooms no matter how you sat.

And we were there for business and yet there were no business services (such as a desk). Maybe in the "bigger" rooms? But not in the two I saw. As well, the onsite restaurant was empty at night and ... here's that word again -- depressing. Perhaps it's a good weekday lunch spot but again, for the leisure-oriented traveler, ick.

And the location is poor. It's not near anything. In fact despite what I'd heard about a renaissance in LA (and it's true, there are definitely areas in downtown that sparkle) this wasn't one of them. I'm a fairly intrepid traveler but I was leery about walking around at night -- which is I why I stayed onsite for dinner the first night.

I did venture out the second (couldn't face another meal in the dining room) and tried the Water Grill -- it's a seafood restaurant a few blocks away, highly recommended and rather expensive. But it was marvelous, just marvelous and was the highlight of my weekend.

One of the benefits I'll admit to an LA Athletic Club stay is to use the facilities -- and they have a pool and tons of space for working out -- but attending a conference meant there really wasn't time to utilize them.

I'd go back downtown in LA again but I would stay elsewhere.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the location, the gloomy ambience
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
6 Thank Carolyn S
coryhtri, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
The 72 hotel rooms at The Los Angeles Athletic Club have been completely renovated since your visit. Go to laachotel.com to see updated pictures. Downtown LA has also changed a lot and now the most popular restaurants and bars are right across the street from LAAC.
San Francisco
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Enjoyed my stay at the L.A. Athletic Club . The room was more than adequate: terry robes, refrigerator, nice bathroom with shampoos, razor etc. The building itself is grand ! A beautiful indoor pool, a basketball court , cardio, weights and spa facilities...if you like to work out you can't do much better. Complimentary hot breakfast buffet, coffee and muffins brought to your room in the morning...a very professional staff, nice atmoshere. I found the area walkable, and mostly pleasant...a homeless person here and there but hey it's a city. The only negative I'll mention is that the mattress was a little on the firm side , but I would definitely stay there again .

• Liked — location and gym/pool facilities, staff, breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — too firm mattress
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business