“All you are looking for and locals too.”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel
Ranked #79 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 May 2010

LA Athletic Club is a great choice for downtown LA. Rooms are well appointed (dark tones) and comfortable. (Bathroom is comfortable but not anything to rave about.) Free WiFi, discounted in/out parking, and tasty buffet breakfast are all positives. Another thing I enjoyed is the presences of real locals in the public areas. This is a working gym for those hardy souls who live in downtown. The only small negative is that the (Woman's) locker rooms are badly in need of update. Everything was clean / functional... just less than impressive.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JanneKH

Reviewed 20 May 2010

And what a lucky accident it was. The staff was very friendly and helpful and everything about the hotel was above average. The room we had was very large, with an exercise machine right in the room. Parking was less than $9/night, compared to $25 or more in most downtown hotels. We had access to all of the club's facilities, however we did not take advantage of them. The breakfast was superb and served in style. The chef was very friendly and stopped and visited with us each morning, where our breakfast was included in the price. The man who checked us in was very helpful in making a room available, even though we were early, and then recommended a place for us to go for lunch while they finished cleaning the room.
We definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Los Angeles.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I wanted to get away from the chain-hotel ambience, and this place was a GREAT alternative. The rooms were recently renovated, and they are really 5-star quality. Almost everything about my room stay was top-notch. As noted by other reviewers, some of the "club" areas are a bit worn, but this was not at all true of the "hotel" areas.

Be aware, though, that this is not a full service hotel and some things are just not available. I arrived jetlagged on Sunday and when looking for some food at 8 pm found there was no food available (no room service and restaurant areas closed on Sunday at 5 pm) so I had to go out. No big deal for me, but for some people it would be.

Pros: Location downtown (I liked it). Excellent athletic facilities. Very good full breakfast included in the room price. Friendly and helpful front-desk staff. Reasonably-priced ($9 / day) parking in a connected garage.

Cons: Location downtown (not everyone will feel comfortable walking around at night -- the neighborhood to the west is quite okay but to the east things get seedy fast). Staff needs some training on the little details. (The morning I had to get up early to make a presentation, I was aghast to find only decaf coffee stocked in the in-room coffee service! Just patchy service, I guess, because the other days there was real coffee and it was pretty good.)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I've been travelling to downtown LA for years and have always bemoaned the lack of interesting, high-quality hotels that caters to business travellers downtown (i.e. Kimpton-type of hotel). Tried the LAAC on a recommendation for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The rooms are well-appointed, free wi-fi, and the bed was absolutely fantastic. Small niceties include a complimentary plate of fruit and cheese/crackers in your room upon arrival. I really enjoyed free access to the excellent fitness facilities this full-service gym has to offer, including more equipment one could ever dream of in a typical hotel fitness center (if you are a swimmer, the LAAC includes an indoor 5-lane, 25 yrd lap pool bathed in sunshine - fabulous!). An excellent cooked-to-order breakfast buffet is included in the cost of room. Downsides include a somewhat inattentive staff (tipping - at least for food services - is not permitted apparently) and there are some areas that are showing a bit of wear and tear. If you wouldn't enjoy a clubby, throwback ambiance, the place isn't for you. Overall, I thought it was a great value and I have booked a return trip next month.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank MplsBoys
Reviewed 9 December 2009

My husband chose this hotel while attending a conference and by reading the review I wasn't sure where we would end up. Fortunatelly for us, this happened to be a great choice !

I could relate a lot with what amhp46 wrote just before me !

The room was a bit small but nicely decorated with this old private club look which it used to be, really clean and confortable. We got free internet, a free breakfast buffet with a huge choice and a chef who can cook fresh waffles or eggs/omelette to our liking.
Parking fees was only 9 $. A great deal for the location and for what we got !

There is really nice sport and fitness facilities free to use when you stay at the hotel, if you're up to it !

It is also well located a few blocks away from the metro station 2 Dash buses lines at the corner of the street. A good choice of restaurants nearby and a few bars. I never felt in danger in anyway not even when I was visiting alone.

The people at the front desk were really nice and helpfull ! I visited while my husband was at his conference. All of their suggestions were valuable. They just added the plus that made our stay there so great.

Friends of our stayed at the Hilton Checker's nearby and their room was bigger but they didn't get as much as us and paid more... Next year, they will be coming at the L.A. Athletic Club hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank plannerHaolic
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I stayed at LA Athletic Club in October 2009 for business. The rooms are plush and elegant and meant to evoke the atmosphere of a posh historic club. My room was decorated with deep chocolate brown walls, carpet and bedding with touches of cream. The walls have old 1930's photos of athletes to suggest the history of the building. The bed was wonderful--plush and infinitely comfortable with feather pillows and luxurious sheets. My room had a coffee maker, thermostat, plush white bathrobe, mini fridge and flat screen tv. The bathroom was plain but spotless. A good free buffet breakfast is included: bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, custom omlette station, french toast, fruit and cereal bar, fresh juices and coffee.

Hotel guest have free access to wifi and the impressive gym facilities. The pool and basketball cours are beautiful but I only used the women's sauna and jacuzzi. Towels, wraps, lockers with keyed locks, lemon water, showers with soap and shampoo are all provided for free. During the weekday evenings when I used the sauna it was almost empty and just wonderful.

I found the staff and maid staff to be very friendly and helpful. The first evening, a plate of fruit, cheese, crackers and mints was left in my room. I arrived earlier than I expected and the hotel was very busy with wedding guests but I stepped out for lunch and was able to check-in to my room around 2:00. The bag-check is free.

The man at the front desk recommended an excellent French-style bistro, bakery and restaurant (Louie) which was a few blocks away and I ate most of my meals there. The neighborhood is almost abandoned at night since it's the business district but there are a few scattered restaurants, a 7-eleven and a Macy's shopping center within walking distance. The subway is about 2-3 blocks/5 minute walk from the hotel.

I came for the Adobe Max conference and it took about half an hour to walk to the convention center. The conference also provided free shuttles to the convention center which I took from the Sheraton hotel, about 2 or 3 blocks (5 minute walk) up the street.

I booked the LA Athletic Club because all of the hotels affiliated with the conference were full. I had a friend who stayed at the Sheraton and after seeing their room I was so glad I stayed at the LA Athletic Club--it was less expensive and just had more character . It didn't feel like a cookie-cutter hotel chain and the elegant furnishings, wonderful gym facilities and helpful staff really mad my stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank amhp46
Reviewed 16 March 2009

The Los Angeles Athletic Club is an odd duck as a hotel, which might be why there are so few reviews on Tripadvisor. Most of its 12 story Downtown LA building is taken up with seem to (non-athlete) me to be topflight athletic facilities. There's what I'm pretty sure is a full length, multi-lane swimming pool with a kiddie pool next to it. There's a basketball court that might be full length too. There are exercise machines, a sauna, even a billiard room. The hotel rooms only take up the top 3 floors and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of people staying there one Friday night. I thought they might be there more as a convenience for club members and their families than as a full-fledged hotel. The floor by floor dress code (I kid you not) explained on a paper in my room might fit that image.

The rooms are extremely dowdy. The place's elegance has a faded a bit too much, at least in the guest rooms. They're so dowdy that the club plans to renovate them this summer into a richer, retro, yes clubby look. They had photosimulations of the rooms posted on the floor where I stayed. It might have been nice if they'd told us this on the website. For now, the rooms are just tired, the chairs, all the furnishings, the bed lines are all faded. There aren't enough light fixtures in the room, though mine got some eastern natural light, amidst the buildings of Downtown Los Angeles (I liked that part). The carpet was really stained all over the place, not something I normally notice. I don't think there was true dirt around and nothing bit me, but it did add up to a depressing feeling.

I'd note parenthetically that I tend to discount complaints on Tripadvisor that something is, horrors, old. Some people seem offended that buildings--like, say, the Waldorf-Astoria--were built more than 10 years ago. But the LA Athletic Club is old in the bad sense. After the renovation it could be much better.

I didn't feel a lot of warmth from the people working there. Most were OK, but at least one seemed to be mocking me, not a feeling I usually get in a hotel. Maybe by wearing a daypack backpack I was violating the dress code! It really didn't work well when I tried to check in (at normal time, with a reservation) and the front desk clerk called and called housekeeping to find an available room.

Positives: Well located within Downtown LA, close to most Downtown locations and plenty of transit including numerous bus lines and Metrorail lines. They included a free, large, if mediocre breakfast in one of the many dining rooms. City views of a historic part of Downtown LA. A roof deck with nothing but some chairs on it, but even better city views. All those athletic facilities, which might be good with a kid.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo