“Challenged by the Details!”

The Westin Los Angeles Airport
Ranked #51 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Jose, California
“Challenged by the Details!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Writing this review has put me in a bit of a quandary. I really dislike being negative as it generally helps nobody, but in this case I do need to be realistic. Considering this is an 'airport' hotel, it runs extremely well, and is overall a comfortable place to stay, a great hub to all areas around LA. On this occasion however, the attention to detail left me a little perplexed.

I come from the UK, and enjoy taking a bath. What I experienced left me rather disappointed, as did the way the problem was 'resolved.' I have attached two images which are not an adequate reflection of the standard of the room, but nonetheless this situation needs to be addressed. As I lay back in the bath I witnessed the ugly sight seen in the images below. The wallpaper coming away from the wall and a general state is disrepair that absolutely needs to be fixed. I was asked to send the image so it could be forwarded to housekeeping, and assigned a new room; as can be seen, the new room had a similar issue. Therefore, I chose to stay in the original room. I was given a $30 credit to the restaurant, but sadly when it came to check-out I had to ask for the discount on my bill - had I not checked it would not have been added - very frustrating.

I do not ever 'expect' an upgrade, but in this instance it would have been a wise move. This is a Westin hotel. Everyone likes to be recognized and it goes a long long way. I am not posting these images to 'shame' the hotel, but I have to wonder how many rooms have this issue. 2 for 2 for me!

The restaurant is excellent and the service I received was exemplary! I would come back and stay just because I enjoy the restaurant.

Room Tip: Check the room you are assigned to (specifically under the sink area).
2 Thank Abbe L
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Hello, Abbe L.

Thank you for taking the time to share your very honest and constructive feedback. The overall professionalism and positive tone in which it is intended is certainly refreshing.

As we begin the long road of planning and executing a sweeping renovation, our Engineering and Housekeeping teams are completely committed to ensuring our accommodations feel clean, fresh, and well cared for. We apologize that you experienced something which has gone unnoticed in not one, but two of our guestrooms. Rest assured your pictures will be used to assist in focusing our efforts.

In addition, we were able to leave your story of your experience here on your SPG profile. You can remain loyal to The Westin confident that you will never have the same experience with us again.

Guest Experience Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hotel was fine for an airport hotel. They gave us a good upgrade to a full suit. Food in the executive lounge was quite reasonable and the staff were nice. The only problem was that it does not have sound proofing. Windows are single glazed. One end of the hotel is much closer to the runway, ask for a room away from the runway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the runway
Green Features: We like the spg green choice programme. They did have recycle bins.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Hello, AandM5864.

Thank you for your time to share your positive memories and constructive feedback. As it relates to and disturbance from external noise you might have experienced, we would be very interested in hearing from you directly. We have a team of dedicated maintenance engineers who work tirelessly refresh and renew our guestrooms. If we hear from you which room you were in, we would be delighted to ensure everything regarding that window is working like new. You are welcome to reach out to the main line and ask for the Manager on Duty.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at Westin LAX for one night during our short layover in the city. I have stayed at many Westin before and this is probably the most disappointing Westin experience I had so far.

Of all the things that bothered me, two things stood out: (1) the desk was really dirty. I had to work in the hotel room for a bit. You can see finger prints and water mark from previous guests; (2) low water pressure for the shower. The water temperature was quite low as well. It was warm at the most. What happened to the heavenly bath?

I was staying on the SPG preferred guest floor so I assume the room condition is already better than the rooms on the regular floors. But it subs the chain's standard in my opinion.

On another note, I am not sure whether it's actually the case (or it's just the timing), but it seems that the shuttle buses for some of the other airport hotels run on a much more frequent basis. I had to wait for about 25 minutes at the terminal for the Westin shuttle bus and I am pretty sure I saw the shuttle buses from every other hotel passed by at least twice. (3 times for Holiday Inn!)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Felicity_ssimo
Hello, Felicity_ssimo.

Thank you for letting us know of the issues with the way your guestroom was prepared during your recent retreat to Westin. We apologize to learn that your accommodations were below did not meet your expectations of us. Rest assured that, for us receiving this type of feedback is quite rare (particularly regarding our Heavenly Bath); therefore, we do take your feedback seriously. We would be very interested to hear from you directly so that we can investigate what happened in the preparation of your specific room.

We also appreciate your spirit of understanding the delay you experienced in the shuttle was maybe due to an unusual situation. Although we might not know exactly what was happening upon your arrival, there are some important things to keep in mind. Given traffic, security check-points, and roadwork, a 20-30 minute wait is not uncommon for most hotel shuttles. I also did a little digging: there is one Holiday Inn and two Holiday Inn Express locations at LAX which all on separate shuttle routes, which may be why you saw their name pass by a little more frequently.

Thank you for your time to share your story. We look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Sterling, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It took a little longer than I like to check in, but otherwise, it was a good experience. The beds were wonderful - it was like sleeping on a cloud. The rooms are large and very clean. The shuttle to the hotel from the airport was timely and it didn't take long to get from the airport. The employees seem to like their jobs and are very nice and friendly.

Green Features: The Westin has a "green" program that gives you $5 vouchers for food if you don't have your room serviced that day. I believe this option is only available for stays greater than a couple days.
Hello, Tammy K .

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review of The Westin Los Angeles Airport. It is always delightful to learn when our famous Heavenly Bed is only bested by the attentive and thoughtful service we provide – like our innovative Make a Green Choice program: available to anyone who stays two nights or longer.

We look forward to welcoming you back for maybe a Westin Weekend sometime soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have recently stayed at this hotel. Disappointed in the fact that my SPG status had no value, and that I was given rooms that were old, noisy and dingy. Checking in at 10 pm, on both visits, required a 15-20 minute wait. Morning shuttle service to the airport was lengthy due to the fact that they use an outside service which makes a stop at the Four Points Hotel in route, adding 15 minutes to a short ride.

I love Starwood hotels, but this one is off my list. They need to appreciate and respect their customers, especially SPG loyal ones.

Hello, FHANDS.

We apologize to hear that your recent time with us did not meet your expectations.

While we are in the initial stages of planning a sweeping renovation, enhancements are always being made to our guestrooms. We assure you every effort is made to ensure that our loyal SPG members are the first to experience any refreshed room feature. We are sorry to hear that you we were not able to show off our hard work during your recent visits.

Regarding the shuttle, nearly all Century Boulevard corridor hotels utilize the same consolidated shuttle service. This change was made a few years back in hopes to positively impact traffic and lessen vehicle emissions in the area. Unfortunately, this does mean that nearly all LAX area hotels share a shuttle route with another hotel within the same loyalty program.

Although we cannot fully turn back time, if there is anything we can do to renew your faith in us, you are welcome to telephone the main line and ask to speak with the Manger on Duty.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We arrived at 8pm after an 18 hour travel time from Scotland hoping to fall into Westin's renowned heavenly beds only to get into a completely unmade room. The bed was a mess with dirty towels everywhere. It's not that mistakes don't happen but if handled well would not be a problem. However we were told that the hotel was full and that we should hang tight while they send someone to freshen up the room. As a Starwood Preferred Guest you expect to have a slightly better response!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Eugene Marcelle d
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello, Eugene Marcelle d.

We at Westin apologize to hear about the situation regarding your guestroom and that it wasn’t well resolved by our associates. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. Certainly we would like to conduct some follow-up. So that we may do so, you are invited to stay in touch with us at westinlax.promotions@westin.com.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 27 May 2014

You can't go wrong with this Westin when you have layover at LAX. The shuttle picked me up in no time, and check in process was prompt and friendly. I got a standard room, nothing too fancy but it was clean and modern. I will definitely be back next time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello, Jason C.

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive thoughts on The Westin Los Angeles Airport with the TripAdvisor.com community. We are thrilled that you were delighted by your time with us and look forward to your continued loyalty. Be sure to stay in touch.