“Close to LAX, Westin excellence, no surprises” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Los Angeles Airport

The Westin Los Angeles Airport
Ranked #60 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Milwaukee
“Close to LAX, Westin excellence, no surprises”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights on a recent business trip. I really thought this was one of the better choices in the LAX area within easy shuttle distance to the airport. If you want to stay farther away, of course there are more picturesque places. Check-in was fast and the staff was friendly. It helps if you are SPG preferred and ideally gold or above so you can get the check-in amenity. Parking costs money, but that's typical for an airport hotel. They will let you park in front of the hotel for 20 minutes or so if you want to fetch something and don't want to pay for a full night.
The staff was really helpful. I had to receive a fax, and it was delivered directly to my room and right on time.
The hotel breakfast was good but expensive. There are not a lot of other obvious choices nearby, so you may want to get more organized and do the research in advance if you don't want to spend $15-20 per person.
The shuttle is shared with the Four Points, and with the airport construction underway, it's not the fastest. They say to allow 45 minutes from the hotel to the airport, which could be true, but at 5:30 am it was faster.
I'd definitely stay here again if I wanted to be close to LAX. It's also not that far away from Santa Monica or Venice Beach, and there is a bus line between LAX and Santa Monica.

Room Tip: Look for one facing south, but most of them will have some aircraft noise.
Green Features: They didn't replace the towels that I wanted to save, which was nice. Housekeeping sometimes replaces the towels regardless of your choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
It is always a delight to receive kind words from a TripAdvisor Top Contributor, John M. Thank you for sharing your honest and thorough review The Westin Los Angeles Airport and for the 4-star rating. As your travels bring you through LAX, we look forward to your continued loyalty.

Guest Experience Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dayton OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I made a reservation via the phone reservation line for me and a client traveling with me. My client had even called them again to confirm his information. When we checked in, there was no reservation for my client.

When I made the reservation, the agent told me that breakfast was included in the rate and that it was 'the best breakfast on the west coast.' When I checked in the desk agent said I had a choice of the free continental breakfast or the exec. club lounge breakfast. When I went to get breakfast the next morning, the exec. club lounge wasn't available because it was Friday. So the only breakfast included was baked items from the Starbucks cart in the lobby. Also, my client had a 6 am flight and there were no breakfast options open in the hotel before 6. Other Westins I have stayed at provided a takeaway hot breakfast in that situation. The hotel restaurant had breakfast available but did not appear to be anything special.

Also, the air conditioner in my room did not work properly. I called the front desk to have it looked at and left my room for dinner. When I returned, the only thing different seemed to be that the thermostat had been lowered. No one had left me a message telling me what was done. The air conditioner was still not working properly.

Also, the drink options included in the exec. club lounge were sodas. Beer, etc. could only be charged to the room, not paid for there.

The self parking garage was fairly convenient.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the runway.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dayton_dan
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

So we stayed here in Feb of 2013 and again in July 2014.

I still think it's the best of the LAX airports I have stayed at (5 different ones) with the wonderfully comfortable beds and the Daily Grill downstairs is great (had breakfast, lunch and dinner).

This time around there were a few changes to my experience.... I feel the shuttle bus from/to the airport could be more frequent. It runs approximately every 25 mins and when you have gotten off a long flight with kids and see shuttles from other hotels going past multiple times, it is a bit irritating... and it also adds to the anxiety associated with getting to the airport in time. Related to this, we called for assistance with our bags but no one came after 25 mins so I had to end up finding my own baggage cart and doing it myself.... this detracted from our experience particularly as it's the last thing you remember.... finally on the negative side, the shuttle driver was not the best driver.... bordered on dangerous.

On the plus side, whenever we asked for something for our room (e.g. slippers or coffee) we would get a follow up call to make sure it was delivered... this was a nice touch but perhaps a bit over the top.

I would stay here again as the beds are the best I have slept in in any hotel around the world... a very important factor... and we do like the food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank goinghome04
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've stayed here before and came back because this hotel is dependable for clean rooms, good environment, and good service. If you need to be by the airport it's a great choice. While the hotel has some age to it, the staff does quite well with keeping things looking fresh. My room was clean and my bed was very comfortable. I ate at the steakhouse restaurant and it's was good. Service was better than the food though. Server was very attentive, but also gave me my space. Front desk check in process was wonderful. Quick and attentive staff during check in. They were also kind enough to put me in the quieter side of the hotel. But to be honest, I've stayed on the airport landing side and slept like a rock. So the windows are good because I could barely hear the planes on the "noisy" side. And the "quiet" side was also good too. But I will say if you like to watch planes fly in I would recommend the side that you can do that. My last stay I ordered wine and watched the planes fly in from my window for hours cause I'm nerdy like that. :) Overall if you want a dependable choice without the drama I would stay here. But if you are looking for ultimate luxury, super modern decor, and pampering... this is not it.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank ToastedBean
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
From each associate at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, thank you, ToastedBean, for your continued loyalty. It is delightful to know that you have noticed the benefits of our dedication to keeping Westin better than we were the day before. We look forward to your many returns. Travel well and stay in touch.

Leiden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent the night at this hotel after flying in from Amsterdam. Since you're basically exhausted after a long haul like this you will sleep anywhere, this may not be the most objective review.
Staff was friendly, quick and correct. We had a rental at Thrifty, which is conveniently located across the street. Apart from the construction work that woke us up at 3.30am!! the hotel is good. Average, but good. Big down side is the absence of complementary WIFI. A reason for me not to come back here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Buderim, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed here when we first arrived in LA and then again for a night before flying home. We had a king size bed which was very comfortable. The room was clean and the bathroom was quite large for a motel. The only down side is that there is no wifi in the rooms but it is free in the foyer. It was a bit noisy with kids running up and down the corridor bit it did quieten down later in the night. We wanted to stay longer on our last visit and had no trouble extending our checkout time. The check in process was quick and the staff are polite and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbieayres
Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had a quick business trip to Los Angeles for all day Saturday meetings, followed by dinner. Flew in late Friday and was flying home early Sunday to be with my family for Father's Day. I decided to try the Westin at LAX, largely because of it's convenience to LAX (I'm also Starwood Platinum). It was an excellent choice! Arriving at 9pm, they upgraded me to a lovely suite with a large, outdoor balcony.

The next day, the Concierge arranged for a car to take me to my meetings and pick me up at Drago Centro after dinner. Everything worked like clockwork. After dinner, I again enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine out on my balcony, watching the planes come and go from LAX.

On Sunday morning, I was up and out, taking the hotel's shuttle to LAX.

From the front desk to the bellman to the room service services to the restaurant waitress to the Concierge to the Starbucks coffee woman to the shuttle bus driver, every staff member that I interacted with at this Westin was outstanding! You can really tell when a property has excellent management and this one does!

Room Tip: Ask for a Corner Suite with an Outdoor Balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
2 Thank mikie376
It is always a delight to hear such kind words regarding our associates at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, most particularly from such a frequent a loyal traveler. Thank you, mikie376, for taking the time to share your kind words and 5-star review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you through LAX.