“Let down by reception staff.”

Saharan Motor Hotel
Ranked #189 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Let down by reception staff.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a difficult review for me. After 20 hours of travelling and standing in queues I was tired and not in the mood for problems. I had asked for a quiet room with a fridge some 12 months or so when i had booked the place. On arrival i found the receptionist difficult and rather stern and snappy. No smiles, no welcome just "Sign this" and "Give me your I.D and Credit card". Then we ended up with a room at the front of the hotel overlooking one of the busiest roads in America - Sunset Boulevard and without a fridge (I am diabetic and needed a fridge and had written to the hotel requesting such some 4 weeks beforehand). I got nowhere with the evening reception man and he told me to see the receptionist the next morning about a fridge which i did and eventually got .

The Motel looks rather tired and dated painted in a 70s colour scheme of burnt orange, red and white but they were repainting it as we came away. The stair wells were grubby and the doors to the rooms were all marked and scuffed. Parking was tight but adequate.

Once in the room I found it to be very clean and reasonably comfortable. Great TV, good hot shower, comfortable beds and clean bedding. The sink was old and cracked and the bath plug mechanism didnt work so unable to have a bath but made do with showers.

The bottom line is that this Motel is in a great location for Hollywood and not apparently frequented by the many drop outs and hobbo's that you see dossing outside of a lot of the other motels on the strip. The room was clean, there was somewhere to park free, most facilities were good and the breakfast in the Motel reception was busy of a morning but adequate.

The reception staff seem to have a "can't do that" attitude and frankly need a personality transplant. What is the point of asking for special requests on their website if they are not going to provide them? However the rest was OK and I would use the place again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

seeing a strip club next door gave us a fright but there wasn't a drama at all. room was good with great a/c. bed was pretty uncomfortable but that was the only downside. brilliant location to everything as we didn't have a car. walking was a easy option and only a 5 min walk to the station if we needed to go further. did have a squeaky roof from the room above but we went that fussy about it.
staff were helpful enough.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location, literally a 5 minute walk from the Walk Of Fame & there are plenty of places to eat nearby. The strip club next door caused no problems, it wasn't seedy. On arriving & checking in at the hotel, traveling from London, England we were given a room up some stairs & overlooking the parking lot. Being that we were there for 9 nights & we were both young females we were forced to struggle up the steps with our heavy suitcases. Working in a hotel myself when you see someone has come from quite far away & is there for a fairly long period of time you try to accommodate their needs, such as giving them a room on the lower floor, preferably having a half decent view of the pool or something... This is called 'smart allocation.' The room itself wasn't 100% clean, hairs inside the fridge & stains on the bedding & towels.
Every night of our stay we were awoken at any time between 2-4am with people stomping past our room or having full blown conversations at the top of their voices. We would finally get back off to sleep to be awoken again between 6-7am by people stomping past, loud music, car horns or trash collectors. We left our 'do not disturb' sign on everyday & locked our personal possessions in our suitcases as we had previously read that things had gone missing from peoples rooms & apparently the hotel does not take responsibility if anything does go missing, therefore these maids can quite obviously help themselves if they wanted to.
On one of our first days we wanted to go to Santa Monica. We asked the larger receptionist how to get there. We were simply told to go & find a 704 bus, no proper explanation as to where to go. Not knowing the area & wasting over an hour of our day trying to find out how to get there, we gave up on this idea & went to the Walk Of Fame & found out there is a 'hop on, hop off' bus service which takes you directly to & from Santa Monica. We later discovered leaflets advertising this in the reception so why did the receptionist not inform us of this service?
We had already arranged a transfer to & from the airport & we just needed to call the company to confirm our pick-up time. We went to reception & once again the larger man was on & we asked to borrow the phone, dialing the number I then had to choose an option, being as the receptionist didn't give me the base of the phone I had to ask him to do it, he responded with 'it doesn't work' but pressed it anyway, with that the phonecall got cut off. He informed me it could only make direct calls. I asked him what I was meant to do as this transfer needed arranging asap & neither of our British cell phones worked. The response I got was 'it doesn't work.' We then had no choice but to go & find a payphone. After finding one & dialing the number the operator told us this call could not be made from a payphone. By then we were panicking as we had no way of contacting our transfer that we had pre-arranged & already paid for. We left this til the next day & went back to reception again to ask for help. This time the slimmer receptionist was on, I explained I needed to make a phonecall to arrange my transfer, he asked me what room I was in, with that he said 'ok I can let you make a call from your room, i'll unlock the phone for you to use'... We went to the room, called the transfer company & sorted our transfer straight away. Why did the first guy not tell us this?!!! Why were we made to go & hunt for a payphone?! He caused an unnecessary amount of stress & panic!!!
I would definitely visit Hollywood again but I would look into staying at the 'Comfort Inn' just up the street instead!

Room Tip: Choose a different motel/hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

New York, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2014

First off, I have to say, despite the many complaints about staff here from other reviewers, I found the management to be sweet, helpful and very kind. The manager gave directions on how to find the top attractions easily, and when I had to leave before breakfast to catch an early plane back to New York, he gave me muffins for the flight.

While this hotel is a bit older, it's got retro charm, and the rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. I had no issues with the noise others described. There is a large pool downstairs, and the hotel is steps away from a fantastic supermarket, as well as a five minute stroll to In 'n Out Burger, as well as the main sights on Hollywood Boulevard.

While yes, there are some dark areas for a woman walking alone, that's true in every city and town across the country. Use caution and you'll be fine.

The best part? This hotel is amazingly affordable and allows for visitors to stay in the heart of LA without breaking the budget. I brought my son here as he was preparing to begin his semester at Emerson College, and we both enjoyed our stay immensely.

I'm looking forward to my next visit!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Essex, UK
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived at the Saharan quite late but the reception was still manned. It’s on the main road (Sunset Boulevard), and can be a bit difficult to get into if you’re turning left into it, but coming from the airport, it was on our right so a lot easier. There is plenty of parking, though it is a little cramped.
The hotel is very retro 50’s style, with two tier rooms looking out onto a central swimming pool, which is quite large but from what I can tell, not heated.

The room we had was lovely. Two large queen beds, fridge, ensuite with bath/shower and a large flatscreen TV (though no coffee machine or kettle). Very clean and kept very clean every day. My only complaint would be that it was a bit noisy from traffic, especially emergency vehicle sirens. Though we could hear people in the courtyard and on the stairs beside our room, it did get quite quiet from about 11pm onwards, which for a Friday and Saturday night is very good.

The location is superb – less than ten minutes walk from the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theatre. Very easy to find if you have a map or smartphone.

Opposite is a great supermarket called Ralphs, and down the road to the right we found lots of eateries like Denny’s etc.

My only cause for concern would be that the area does not look the nicest, and I was a little wary walking around after dark, especially as the shops and restaurants were spaced a little distance apart, leaving dark areas where there weren’t many people. However, we didn’t experience or see any kind of crime, so maybe it’s just tourist paranoia.

Being on Sunset Boulevard meant that we were not only close walking distance to a lot of tourist attractions, but also on a main route to lots of other places, and it was quite easy to depart from to go to other places.

If I were to make two small complaints:

1) The breakfast is minimal. As a Brit, I always feel lucky that any breakfast is included, but was a little disappointed. There is coffee and juice, a few pre-packaged muffins and the opportunity to make waffles. It’s all located in the reception area, which is a bit odd, so we tended to make coffee and retreat back to our room.

2) The receptionist / Manager was a bit abrupt. Once again, being English, we don’t expect much, so we weren’t too upset by it, but there was a gentleman in front of us who was politely enquiring about a laundry service and he was pretty much ignored and then told “NO, we don’t have one.” The man had to prompt the receptionist in order to get any information about local amenities and seemed a little intimidated by the receptionist’s brusque manner.

Overall, I’d say we really enjoyed our stay, but were glad that it was only for a couple of days as we had exhausted all the local tourist sites and the traffic noise did disrupt our sleep. The hotel was clean and well equipped as well as a fantastic location. I would recommend.

Room Tip: As far away from the road as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Calexico, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The front desk man (I am not sure if he was in charge but he sure acted like it) , was very rude and not helpful at all. A taxi cab was blocking our only entrance as we arrived, I called the front desk to notify him and he RUDELY answered that it was "not his problem". Then we had no remote in our bedroom, he wasn't helpful of that either. There was a cracking sound in the room that woke me up very early and kept me awake. If your near the stairs.. prepare for footsteps right next to your wall aaalll day and night. It was decent clean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We chose to stay at the Saharan because of its central location on Sunset Boulevarde. We hoped that this location would mean proximity to great eating places but we ended up with a fast food meal as there seemed little else within even a long walk.

The staff were indifferent to the point of hostility, we arrived in the early evening, there was no one else for the manager to have to help but he treated us as an unwelcome interruption.

We asked him for some suggestions for a restaurant, he ignored us at first, on repeating the question he just said "take a right-heaps of places.."

I should have done some homework of course but I did kind of expect that this sort of local information would be forthcoming from the staff.

The room was okay, fridge was very noisy, there was a great deal of noise from the road and also from guests at the motel, loud voices and footsteps, also very loud cars coming and going through the night which did not make for a restful end to a long day.

The bed was a standard double, quite old but clean enough.

The Motel itself seems kind of run down and faded, something that may have related to the winter season as well as the lack of welcome from the staff.
The breakfast was dull as well with just waffles and bread products, no cereals and low quality coffee.

The good thing about the location was that it provides a good exit from LA heading north, that would be the only reason for me to stay there again.

Some sound proofing and some welcoming staff would be needed to get the place back to some of its former glory.

It was not expensive though, so on that score I have no complaints.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one at the back.....
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
-RPHotelOwner, Owner at Saharan Motor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We are making improvements to our exterior with painting and landscaping. We have waffles and muffins for breakfast, our coffee is from Royal Cup, a major coffee vendor for hotels. We need to offer limited breakfast because we pass that saving on to our guests. Our hotel does not even charge for parking, but the other hotels in the area do. Thank you for your comments.