“Great Location, Great Price”

Farmer's Daughter Hotel
Ranked #26 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Denver
“Great Location, Great Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

As the other reviewers note, the location of this property is perfect—putting you right in the middle of the West Hollywood area. I was there for business so needed to be able to get in and out easily. The valet parking, while an extra cost, made it so simple. Room was clean and clearly kitschy. If you want to make an argument towards sustainability, their re-use and refurbishing of an older property is a strong plus. It's like buying an old car and fixing it up rather than simply throwing it away. They've cleverly updated the property allowing them to keep costs down while making the experience fun and inexpensive. I specifically asked for a quiet room, and they nailed it. Silence. Don't hesitate to book this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back, away from Fairfax.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is an usual place. The owners took a traditional motel and turned it into an upscale hotel. It is located right across from The Grove shopping center and The Farmers Market in LA.

The price I think is a bit high for a room with moderately comfortable beds, toiletries that don't pour out, a light by the bed that is hard to reach to turn off, no blankets for a chilly night, and ac/heat that is incredibly noisy.

Other than that, you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a prime location this is it. They also have a small, well managed restaurant...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

If you want a convenient location and something quirky, this is the place for you. If you want chrome and glass, you will be disappointed. From our arrival we were impressed with the friendly staff and the amazing decor, a tad tacky in parts but it all keeps with the farm theme. This is an old converted motel, which has been done on a budget, so it is far from 5 star, but it doesn't pretend to be anything up market. The rooms are like staying with an old aunt in the country, with oddments of furniture, ornaments etc. The bathrooms could do with an up date, but they worked well enough. I would have preferred to have some extra hanging space, but managed with what was available. The restaurant at the hotel is worth trying, and across the road is The Grove Shopping Centre where there are some more great restaurants. We loved the homemade cookies that were on the desk for guests to try. Not for the calorie conscious, but absolutely delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

The only place I'll stay at in LA. Convenient location, great rooms, nice amenities. Across from the Farmer's Market and the Grove and a block from Third Street. Friendly staff, great restaurant (TART) on site.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian B
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

During 2 trips to The Price is Right, I took note of the location of this hotel. I said to my friend if we ever returned to LA for a third time, this is the only place I'd consider staying as it's just across the street and super easy to get over to the Price is Right Studio......Booked it online a couple of months in advance and the price was $189.00 a nite for each room, just one person per room......... It said check in was at 4pm but we arrived before 2pm and rooms were ready for us. My friend was in 110 just above my room 102.......I could hear the water running when he ran it, etc.........
I was beneath him in 102 and there is just one room beside it ,103, that is closer to the road.Since we returned, I read of people saying what a noisy location these rooms are in. To be honest, it was the perfect location for me as it was just across the courtyard to the front desk and I was bothered neither by traffic, late nite revelling, or by elevators or pop machines.........When I'm on vacation, I'm usually so tired I rarely need to put in my ear plugs...
I did love my room with the denim bedspread, condom kit you could purchase (or bandaid kit) and really loved all the front desk staff.They were super helpful,and there is a computer out back you can use too if need be..........IPOD worked sporadically in my room.....They give you a code to use at check in......found it easier to use their desk top computer and it was never busy...
I really loved the book exchange at front of hotel where you could exchange books to read,and I loved all the freebies, postcards, books of matches, cookies, chips, sweet tea,and spiced apple cider.......And, they even have a free whiskey tasting hour...........Staff is super friendly, whether it be the manager of the hotel or the workers........
It would be nice if there was a cushion on either of the 2 chairs in the room,but I just sat on a pillow......
Overall, a great location to stay if you want to be near the Price is Right, Dancing with the Stars, The Farmer's Market, or The Grove.............We would definitely choose this hotel again..........Perhaps a little pricy, but for us, The Price Was Right.........thanks so much staff for making our stay such a pleasant one!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

With this hotel, you are paying for quirkiness and retro style more than, say, luxurious rooms. We enjoyed this converted motel a lot. Service was friendly but not over-the-top, and the common areas are really fun (and we can say we really appreciated the free chips and cookies). I would give them 5 stars if they did a bit more with the rooms.

We really enjoyed the loungers scattered around the floors, the pool area, and the delicious restaurant, where we enjoyed great breakfasts and some evening drinks. Very comfortable place to hang out (we also got the deal on their website that included parking and breakfast--well worth it, since we needed parking, and the breakfasts turned out to be FABULOUS).

The location was a lot of fun--we walked over to the Farmers Market and the Grove mall, as well as to LACMA and the Ethiopian neighborhood (with great restaurants)--only a few blocks away. It was also only a short drive to Beverly Hills. The only problem was that it was hard to get OUT of the neighborhood... getting onto freeways involved lots of time spent at very busy, slow-moving intersections. But this is a great neighborhood to hang out in.

I do feel the hotel could update the rooms a bit. The bathrooms still look like an old-school motel--everything works and it's fine, but it's not that inspiring. The rooms are also a bit dim. But the retro farm-themed decor is fun.

Overall, we had a great stay and were really happy with this pick.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katiekins570
picataggio, Owner at Farmer's Daughter Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words.

I think we will earn your 5 star rating soon, we have been busy working on a remodel. We just started the model room and should be done with it in a few weeks. Once we work the kinks out we then do all the other rooms.
The idea is to give the lady a tiny bit more luxury but forget who she is :)

Safe Travels
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Took my daughter to see Dancing With The Stars at CBS Studios and this was the PERFECT hotel to stay at for that. Kitschy with an overdose of fabulous hospitality. Loved the decor and feel from the oversized rubber duckies in the pool to the room decor. Right across from the studio and a short walk to the Genessee gate where the line forms. Had a delicious breakfast at Tart and two of the best lattes we have ever had -- this is from two coffee fanatics. Restaurant atmosphere also so charming and cozy. Had an upgraded room which was probably best as we like a little more space. It is an older building but clean and well maintained. The staff was the BEST -- very attentive to our needs and helpful in every way. Took care of us like houseguests! Loved it -- thank you Farmer's Daughter.

Room Tip: Upgrade rooms for a just a few more dollars -- bigger, better placed in hotel and worth the investme...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen B
Thank you for review.

We are very proud and appreciative of our location, but we are very hyper aware that we are in the business of service.

I am so glad to read your comment about the Lattes!!! I have this zany idea that says if you are going to do something you should do it WELL!!! Long story short I did not want ok coffee I want the best for our guest. We made a big investment into our coffee program and even hired some pro's to man the booth's if you will.

Safe travel and we hope to see you again soon.