Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodland Hills
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
View Hotel
The Canoga Hotel(Los Angeles)
View Hotel
All reviewsfront deskwarner centeryogurtreasonable rateshot breakfastwe've stayedwill stay there againeasy accesscleaning staffking bedconvenient locationbusiness tripuniversal studioshiefreewayparkingpillows
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Searching IHG properties, this place had a low Saturday night rate, so I thought I'd try it out. The neighborhood isn't pretty, but isn't bad. If you're coming from downtown LA, the entrance to parking is after the hotel building. Before the building is the Wendy's. There's a lower level of parking if the roughly 20 spaces on top are all taken.

I was assigned a top level room, so I had no upstairs neighbor problem. I strongly suggest asking for the top floor. Given that I could easily hear people in the hall, I suspect wall thickness is a problem. My room was huge, with a microwave, extra sink, and two refrigerators. I'm not sure why anyone would ever need two mini-fridges. Furnishings were new, including the bathroom tub. Sometimes renovations don't replace the tub. Here, the owners did. I particularly enjoyed the bed, which was firm. I prefer firm beds and so slept very well. Having DirectTV is also nice. The station choices include many Spanish options and Korean KBS, though not Fuse or Al-Jazeera America.

Until I went down for breakfast, I was ready to give 4 dots. Then I got downstairs. At 9:05 AM, well within the serving time until 9:30, I saw runny "scrambled" eggs; no bacon or sausage; one hard biscuit; no gravy; one cinnamon roll; and a broken pancake machine. I've stayed at enough Holiday Inn Express hotels to know the brand standards. Some places - such as HIX Solana Beach - meet or exceed them. This fell well, well short. Maybe I just arrived at a bad time, but it's what I saw. I'd like to recommend this place as a good budget option, but it became just a budget option in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Top floor!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Sunil G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodland Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your breakfast. I have looked into the situation and luckily the machine was not broken just out of batter. She must have just missed you. We hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you. Again, thank you for the review and we will use this to strive towards a better experience.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Holiday Inns have never been at the top of my list for a stay. I've had some bad experiences at a few that soured me on them. This one though, is well kept, has a TV package from DISH that's better than most and a decent breakfast. The location, by the 101 on Ventura Blvd makes it a good operations base for the valley, and a not unreasonable shot into downtown LA or heading up North or over to the coast and Malibu.
What is strange is the swimming pool. It's about 30 ft long, and I'm guessing here, 3 ft wide and 3 feet deep. I guess you can swim in it with no problem, just very odd.
Overall, a pleasant experience

Room Tip: Security is a big issue here. Entry thru the lobby only and the elevator requires a room key to work
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Sunil G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodland Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thank you for your response. I am glad to see that our property left such a good impression, hopefully we were able to change your opinion regarding Holiday Inn Express. I apologize if you were dissatisfied with our spa. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Pros
- Spacious room.
- Comfortable bed.
- Good internet connection.
- Good shower pressure.
- Friendly service.
- Good proximity to 101, 405, and canyon roads down to beach.

Cons
- Shower was plugged when I checked in. It was fixed within an hour.
- DirectTV stopped working one day. It was fixed within an hour.
- No pool, and spa was only luke warm.
- Weight machine in the fitness room was out of order the entire time.
- Neighborhood isn't the best, but isn't the worst as far as Ventura Blvd goes.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor if you want a quiet room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Sunil G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodland Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for your response. I apologize you experienced some difficulties during your stay but I am glad to hear they were handled in a timely manner. We hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you. Again, thank you for the review and we will use this to strive towards a better experience.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Good clean hotel, spacious room, our room was on the third floor, and was quiet, good breakfast which included fresh pancakes, eggs, cinnamon buns, muffins, cereal, yoghurt, bananas, and more all food was topped up. All staff were very helpful especially with directions. We had a good Italian meal just 5 mins walk past smart and final which is next door. We had a good wifi connection. Easy drive to Malibu and surrounding areas. We would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank DevonSurfGirl
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Friendly welcome from the front desk. I had no problem finding parking downstairs. When I got to the room, it was clean and the bed was decent. I like to have the fan running throughout the night to overcome any noise during the night, but this was not an option with the air conditioner (it only came on when the temperature got too warm). Also, I could hear the people above me, and it interrupted my sleep. It was hard to go to sleep because it sounded like they were re-arranging the furniture above me, and in the morning, I could hear other activities from above that woke me up. So, I did not get the full night of sleep that I would have hoped.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Sunil G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Woodland Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Our staff works hard to ensure guest satisfaction. I apologize if we fell short during your stay. Our staff is trained to correct these situations immediately after we are notified. We hope you visit us again and give us the opportunity to make a better impression.