“February getaway, awesome location!”

Venice Breeze Suites
Miami Beach, Florida
“February getaway, awesome location!”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at Venice Breeze Suites in February 2013. It was our first time in LA and we were looking for a place close to the beach in Venice. We also wanted an " apartment type" place with a kitchen so we could make our own food and pretend to be locals for a few days! Venice Breeze Suites was perfect! We stayed on the first floor in the back apartment. Perfect size for a couple. The bed was super comfortable and the kitchen was modern and and spacious. The shower was really the best part of the place as it had 2 shower heads which made showering the best part of the day! Every morning we would have coffee on the roof top deck which was so serene and beautiful; and in the evening, a glass of wine and the amazing sunset over the Pacific Ocean! We are definitely going back and staying here on our next trip. Cindy and Mike were so nice and helpful, stay here on your next visit to Venice! You won't want to leave!

Room Tip: We stayed in the back of the complex and it was perfect! For a view, get the front rooms for ocean v...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryRobtson
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Mary!

We are impressed with your awesome review!

We are pleased that you were able to enjoy Venice "like a local!" There's nothing like being able to take a vacation and feel like you fit in! And the roof? Well, it sounds like you found and enjoyed our hidden gem! There's nothing quite so serene as slow mornings and beautiful afternoons on up there on the top of the world...it really is a special place.

Finally, thanks for the compliment to us. We try and be as helpful as possible to ensure that you have a great vacation when you stay with us here at the Venice Breeze Suites.

Cindy and Michael
Venice Breeze Suites Managers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I have stayed here twice and appreciated the room and location even more the second time. For the price, you will not find a better room in the Venice. My room was an efficiency with an ocean view. They have an easy check-in and free parking( which you need in Venice). Everything is walking distance to the suites. I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mike H
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Breeze! We look forward to you retuning next time you are in LA!
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

LOCATIO~LOCATION~LOCATION!!!! Cindy & team at the front desk were awesome!!! Roof top views….amazing. Only zip code I coluld think of that would be close to Venice Beach, is heaven.
Liked the via email self~check~in with instructions, made for a very smooth & simple check~in.
Rare to find FREE PARKING…that was a treat for Venice!!! Room decor was much appreciated!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank R K
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Hello Mike, Thank you for the great review and we see you are a top contributor on Trip Advisory and your feed back is important to us. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I just spent two nights at the Venice Breeze Suites and was very impressed and happy with my studio suite. The recent renovation is super professional and actually gave me renovation ideas for my house. It was a large loft like space with exposed brick and 4 large heavy windows with white wooden blinds on one side and the kitchen area on the other. The kitchen had very stylish glass tile and stone counter top and came perfectly equipped with nice slate ceramic cups and plates, wine glasses etc. and hi-tech stove dishwasher and fridge and pots and pans. There was a good flatscreen tv on a swivel mounting that let you turn it to watch it anywhere in the studio and the bed area and couch had really good bright boom stand type reading lamps that were very adjustable too. The bathroom had a 2 nozzle 2 control shower, very large with beautiful glass door and grey tiles.
There is underground, private, gated parking under another condo type building down the alley and the building access is with passcode, so it really feels like you're living in a condo on the beach. Venice beach to my surprise was very peaceful and quiet at night in early morning so with the windows open it was very relaxing. I think it's a good value for what you get and would stay there again. The room was very clean.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear Puristartist, Thank you for staying with us and your very descriptive and favorable review and it was our pleasure having you stay with us. We hope you have a great summer and we see you again soon!
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Great alternative to the hotels on Venice Beach.Detailed instructions for directions, self check-in and secure parking easy to follow. Convienient, hip and spotless. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you DebbieRJ and we look forward to your return!
San Jose, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013

It is with a heavy heart that I have to write a review like this.

My wife and I love to travel, and because of the blessings of her work we have been fortunate enough to explore many different countries together. As such, we have had much experience in hotels and lodging, and we particularly appreciate cleanliness and great customer service. Of the places we have stayed, we would rate Villa Afrikana in Knysna, South Africa and Unitas in Prague, Czech Republic as exceptional. We don’t need Four Seasons luxury and we don’t care for resort type facilities, but we certainly would and do spend the money on comfort, cleanliness, and responsive management.

And we have never had a lodging experience as horrible as that from the Venice Breeze Suites.

After our dear daughter was born, my wife and I decided we would travel locally with our 2 month old as our first family trip. We picked Venice Breeze Suites because of the website’s photos featuring its modern and clean rooms. The rooms also include a kitchenette, which is definitely helpful for a young family with a newborn. We specifically booked the best room that they have to offer to ensure roominess for our travel crib, quality furnishings for us to enjoy, as well as the beautiful panoramic ocean view.

The first night that we were there, we checked into room 402. The room was gorgeous, just as photographed on the website. We were very pleased with everything, from the view to the mattress to the cleanliness. Unfortunately, we also realized pretty quickly that the elevator was situated just on the other side of the wall where our bed was. You see, this is not just any other elevator, but this is the kind of old elevator that would make loud rambling sounds and shakes as it goes up and down. It also has the kind of manual doors that are heavy and shut until you pull them hard to open. When you let go, they bang shut by themselves loudly. Now imagine lying down on your mattress with your head literally against such an elevator with only a wall in between. It was loud. Our room literally shakes whenever anyone goes up and down using the elevator. We could not sleep well the whole night.

The next day, we called the manager, Michael, to let him know of our situation and see if there was anything he could do. The website states that the office hours are 8am-5pm. I tried calling at 8am, no response. I walked down twice in person between 8am to 10am, nobody was there. We waited around the room and finally I found Michael in his office after 10am, when he informed me that his office hours are really 10am-5pm. I was slightly bothered by the inconsistency of the information from the website, and that my wife and I had to wait around for him with a newborn, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. After my explanation of our situation, Michael informed me that they were fully occupied, but there is someone checking out at noon. He assured me that the room will be comparable in size and price as the one we are staying in, but it will be a studio (instead of a one bedroom) and it will not be near the elevator. I was thankful for his accommodation, and since we had plans for the day (and had already waited around for a few hours), he offered to move our belongings for us after the other room was ready.

That night we returned to the hotel and checked in room 405, the room that Michael assured us as “the same size and price” as room 402. The second we stepped into room 405 we knew that it could not be the same price as room 402. We looked on the website and realized that room 405 is considered “Ocean Front Panoramic View One Bedroom”. Room 402 is considered “Partial Ocean View Standard Studio”. It is definitely smaller, and it is $65/night cheaper than room 405. We were furious. Had Michael been honest with us and had let us know that it was an inferior room, we would have made a different decision. Not only that, but we had to pay the price of room 402 to stay at room 405! To add to our disgust, all the furnishings in room 405 were more dated and dirtier than room 402. The sheets and duvet cover were old, worn, and stained. There was hair on the sheets and kitchen towels. The bath towels were clean, but they were also stained from previous users. The bowls and utensils in the kitchenette had to be rewashed because they were sticky. The mattress was worn and soft and the floor was slanted that we were uncomfortable the whole night, again. My poor wife woke up in the middle of the night crying, because this was not our idea of a vacation.

The next morning, I called Michael’s cell phone because we did not want to wait until 10am again before I could get through to someone. It stated in our room that should there be an emergency we should call Michael’s cell directly. At that point, we had decided that we would talk to him and let him know he needs to refund us on at least the difference between room 402 and 405, and that we were going to leave Venice Breeze Suites early because of our bad experience. Sadly, he did not pick up after our multiple phone calls, voicemail, and email, and we once again waited until 10am for someone to show up at the office. Only this time I met Stephen instead, and he informed me that Michael was off that day. After listening to our situation, Stephen explained that only Michael can make any decision, and that he would return to the office in two days to respond to us. There was nothing else he could do for us. I was appalled. We have a baby with us, this was our first family vacation, and we felt stuck. I also tried contacting Randy, who is the manager of a couple other Venice Suites properties. He was very professional and responsive, but he also explained that there was nothing he could do since Michael is the manager of Venice Breeze Suites.

At that point, my wife and I decided that we would just pack up and go. The last straw that broke the camel’s back was when we realized that the refrigerator was broken and had no power the entire night. All our food was spoiled.

As I checked out with Stephen, my wife looked up the owners of Venice Breeze Suites and she called the direct line of the Vice President, Francyne. Immediately after my wife asked her if she was the Vice President of Venice Breeze Suites, Francyne stated that “she could not hear her” and asked if my wife could call back to “leave her name and phone number” so she could call her back. My wife was surprised because she could hear Francyne so clearly. My wife repeated Francyne’s request, “So, you would like for me to call you back and this number, and you won’t pick up, so I can call leave my name and phone number and have you call me back?” Francyne responded with, “yes, that would be great. I just can’t hear you very well right now.” Now, I am not saying that Francyne was trying to blow my wife off, but the conversation was definitely very curious. Coupled with the facts that she never called my wife back and my own dealing with Francyne that you will read later, I have drawn my own conclusions.

At the end, we left the suites two days earlier than we expected, extremely saddened by the entire situation. I called Michael again when he returned back to work. When I told him that I found out the second room was inferior and of much cheaper rate per night, he had the audacity to admit that “he knew, but since he had to freely upgrade the other people to our original room he would not refund us the difference”. This was clearly contradictory to his assurance of “same size, same price” before our move! As I had said before, had he been honest with me, I would have made a different decision. That was just bad business. He also dismissed my feedback of the stains and dirtiness and differences in mattresses, stating that “he inspected everything himself and it was fine”. He was upset with me, saying, “you’re not trying to get on my good side, and I know everyone you tried to talk to, but ultimately I’m the decision maker and I’m not going to refund you anything”. The conversation was going nowhere, and he essentially blew me off. As the last resort, I called Francyne and she basically told me “I trust Michael since he’s worked for me for 10 years and that he would be the decision maker. I was sorry that you had a bad experience, but I have never had any complaints before and that there was nothing more I could do for you”. Wow. I was utterly shocked.

A loud elevator by your head when you try to sleep. A flat out lie that causes you to stay in an inferior room but paying the superior price. A broken refrigerator that spoils all your food when you are traveling with a baby. Dirty bowls, stained linens, hair in your room, worn mattress. A manager who is also the sole decision maker is only at the office 10am-5am Monday through Friday with no intentions of picking up calls at any other time. A business owner who does not care about how her customers feel.

This concludes the most disappointing and downright shocking lodging experience of my life. I genuinely hope that they will change, because family vacations are precious and people deserve to justly receive what they had paid for. In the meanwhile, I hope to also share my experience with you that help you make a smart, informed decision for yourselves.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator for a quiet night.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
25 Thank Mike H
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My husband and I booked an oceanfront corner suite here for our honeymoon because we'd already seen the sights and wanted to enjoy the beach and just enjoy the quirky neighbourhood. For this, the location's perfect. Venice Beach is a bit gritty - lots of marijuana and skateboarding around, and several homeless too. But the area still felt safe, and we appreciated the local character. Our only problem with the "locals" was one busker who started singing outside our window at 7AM, but this was just once in a 4-night stay.

Our suite was stylish and comfortable - a real home away from home. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom well-appointed. Everything looked exactly as on the website - it was honest! The couch was a little less fresh than I would have liked, and the hallways were less than welcoming, but this was otherwise an excellent apartment hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blurgeshmurg
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you Blurgesmurg for you honest and favorable review. Thank you for staying with us and yes we are going to be remolding the hallways soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
#2 of 36 in Santa Monica
The Kinney
The Kinney
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Venice Breeze Suites? Share your experiences!