“No better place to stay in LA”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #148 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Del Mar
“No better place to stay in LA”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This place is fabulous. From the uninspiring outside, showing a hint of North Africa, you might be eager to discover what awaits you within. Or you might shy away because it is not all new and shiny like the adjacent JW Marriott. If you do shy away, you will have short-changed yourself. This Moroccan themed hotel looks like a set from a famous 1940s Hollywood movie. Even the pool bar is named Rick's Place. It is stunning and brimming with character. Persian rugs, hand carved wall-hangings, statutes, authentic light fixtures, music - this hotel combines it all with the perfect decorator's touch.

I had the privilege of staying last weekend in its premier room, the Casablanca Suite. This suite is the only room on the Mezzanine and has a private staircase. It is around 1000 square feet with a bathroom the size of many hotel rooms alone. The 8 foot armoire in the bathroom was well stocked with towels and soaps. You need them for the custom built tub and shower. The tub was about three feet deep and about 6 feet by 8 feet in size. I felt like a king, or rich American overseas traveler, when I showered in it.

The suite has a canopied bed with a wonderfully comfortable featherbed mattress, a huge sitting area, a walk-in closet, a kitchen area (fridge, sink and coffee maker only), and a writing room. It also has a tiny hidden closet revealing a small collection of books. When in this room it felt like I was in another world.

The hotel's location cannot be beat. It is in downtown LA surrounded by Trader Vics, Mortons Steakhouse and The Original Pantry. If that is not good enough for your dining tastes, every other restaurant you can imagine is within a block or two. Staples Center is 2 blocks away and LA Live is 1 block away. We were visiting LA for USC's Parents Weekend and the 8 minute drive to the campus is perfect. On one trip to campus I took the light rail which has a station at USC - the station nearest the hotel is 2 blocks away. The hotel also has limousine service. I took their town car to USC on one occasion and the fee was only $12.00.

Previous reviews have criticized the staff and management and the food quality at the cafe. Disregard those reviews. The staff always had a smile and accommodated my every request. I needed a late checkout - no problem. I wanted to use the pool after regular hours - I was told just to ask when I needed it. I needed to leave my car past checkout - of course (though there was an expected additional fee). When I needed the town car, the front desk had it there for me in minutes. I met the owner/manager, Mr. Thimansson. I found him to be charming and caring. He has a dry sense of humor which some previous reviewers may have mistaken for rudeness. But he is a very nice host.

As for the cafe, it is the weak point of the hotel. I ate there one morning because I did not want to walk outside the lobby. The food was served buffet style but individually item priced. The prices were so inexpensive that you have to overlook any concerns with quality. Orange juice was $1.50. Bacon was $1.50. Both cereal and eggs were $1.00. You cannot find a less expensive breakfast in LA. But if you want a classic breakfast experience, walk the one-half block to the landmark Original Pantry (where a full breakfast with orange juice and coffee will cost you about $20 per person). The hotel knows it is surrounded by fine dining and it does not try to compete with those establishments. It offers a reasonable breakfast at a more than reasonable price.

My recommendations of this hotel are not based on price. The rooms are reasonably priced, not inexpensive. The cafe and bar are very inexpensive. It is the charm, service, cleanliness and location that now make the Hotel Fig my hotel of first choice in Los Angeles.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank catatthebeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Diego
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just got back from a 2 night overnight where we stayed at the Hotel Fig. We were in town for parents weekend at USC and wanted something that was close by the school but also had some personality. If in town to experience the downtown area the location cant be beat. Right next door to the Staples Center, about 4 (pretty big but totally walkable) blocks from 5th - 7th & Flower St. where there is a pretty cool restaurant / bar area and about 2 blocks to hop on the LA Metro (which by the way is very user friendly and a great way to get around town) The hotel is an old YWCA from 1920's that was converted to a boutique hotel around 30 years ago. The owner has done a great job of turning it into a little Morrocan Oasis right in the middle of downtown. Our room was spacious and very clean. No view and a little street noise but hey, we were in downtown LA, would be weird if there wasnt some street noise. We had one of the lower priced rooms but on our way out we got a tour of some of the higher priced rooms and WOW! Might have to twist my husbands arm to stay in one of those next time because they were pretty special (12th Floor rooms and 1st floor rooms)
The staff was great. We met the owner who was very charming. It was a little too chilly to hit the pool and wanted to go to the jacuzzi but never made it. Good cocktails in the bar and you can get a good latte downstairs when they are serving breakfast.
Here is what I will say.....if you are someone who needs the comforts of a chain hotel (and sometimes we all do) then this hotel might not be your thing. But if you like staying at a place that has tons of character and leaves you feeling like you had a little experience, then this is your place! We will be back!

Gosforth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently as we were going to the Staples Centre. We were in 2 minds about choosing the hotel as some of the reviews on Trip Advisor were quite negative, but we decided that it sounded too interesting to miss, and I am so pleased we decided to stay at it as it was so different and nicer than the usual chain hotels around it (and about half the price).
It is a really lovely character hotel with lots of interesting statues etc. The bedrooms are beautifully designed and decorated and the room we had on the 12th floor was a large room, with a separate shower and toilet, 2 walk in closets and separate room with bathroom basin, a large mirror and a bench to store toiletries etc.
The hotel is decorated in a Moroccan style, and the colours and patterns are vivid and tasteful.
The staff were all pleasant and helpful, the pool area was nice and clean and the breakfast was adequate and very reasonably priced.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is staying in LA - I didn't want to leave!

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed at the Figueroa Hotel for a conference in L.A. I'll be honest, I was nervous before hand and when I first arrived as it is not a new, modern hotel like the JW Marriott, where some of the other conference guests were staying. When checking into the hotel, I saw the manager glaring at another guest as he was asking about the number of people staying in their room (this was somewhat intimidating). The initial impression was not all that welcoming and there were other guests in the lobby area who shared that impression.

Upon arriving in the room at the end of the hall, there was an eerie feeling as it was very quiet and had an ambiance that was new to me. The closet was painted sky blue and the floors were hard. Yet with each minute, the hotel began to become better and better. The room, although older, was impeccably cleaned each day. I didn't have an ironing board or iron in the room, but when I called and asked for one, it was delivered right away and left there for the extent of the stay!

Location, location, location!!!!! If you are in town to visit the Staples Center, L.A. Conference Center, or LA Live, the location couldn't be much better (only maybe one hotel was closer). The Figueroa Hotel is just a short walk to all three attractions. Throughout the stay, our interactions with hotel staff were better and better...many times they went out of their way to improve our stay in Los Angeles. We were provided with suggestions on how to use public transportation to get to area attractions such as the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Santa Monica. I also asked for a suggestion on a place to run as there was no fitness center and ended up being referred (I asked for a suggestion on a direction to run in order to see some sort of landmark) for a run that ended up being the highlight of the trip!

I would highly recommend the food in the restaurant as it was both delicious (especially the scrambled eggs) and a value in the city. By the end of the trip, my entire travel group wanted to eat at the hotel for multiple meals per day. Not only do you have the chance to continue to enjoy the ambiance indoors, but if it is nice out, you can also take food to the outdoor seating near the bar where it is like an outdoor paradise and escape from the city!

The final unexpected highlight of the stay at the Figueroa Hotel was the pool, jacuzzi, and outdoor bar. What an amazing and relaxing escape from the busyness in the city!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was looking for something 'outside the square' and this hotel was recommended. We loved it. It is old, yet classic and very clean. It feels like you are stepping into some ancient Moroccan inn, the moment you open that door. From the outside you wouldn't have a clue what awaits you. Our room had two double beds, and they happily gave us a crib for the baby. We were on the 6th floor and the lifts were quick and roomy so that made it very easy to navigate with a stroller. The staff were very accommodating and helpful and there is parking only $12 just to the back of the hotel. To get there you walk down this outdoor covered corridor past the very cool outdoor pool. At night it is lit with gorgeous colourful subdued lighting so you can only see the outline of people sipping cocktails, and I thought if you didn't want to be found, come here! Its so romantic, sadly though my hubby wasn't with me to experience the coolness of this outside pool bar. I would not stay anywhere else in downtown L.A. because it ticked all the boxes for me, I wanted something different, and it was as well as being spotlessly clean, full of character, lobby substantial in size, very good value for money and quirky. Certainly not a typical sterile hotel so if you want the chain type 4 star hotels, you'd hate it! We loved it.

Room Tip: We booked as two single ladies with a baby, and had a large room with 2 double beds, and shower over...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We recently celebrated my husband's birthday at the poolside patio of this hotel and had a great time. The staff were very helpful and all of our friends raved about how charming this place is. The hotel rooms were small, but cozy and clean.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Gosforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

If you want to stay in a chain hotel and pay double and treble the price go ahead! I have travelled all over the world and stopped in a tonne of hotels so I feel qualified to say this is a great independently owned hotel right in the centre of LA down town. I booked it because I was watching a couple of LA KIng's games at the Staple Centre. The lobby, pool and bar are all done out in a very cool, calm, Moroccan, North African style, which is great when you stumble in from the hustle and bustle of down town LA. The corridors and elevators are done in the same style and a lot of effort and detail has gone into this, I have been to Morocco so I know what I am talking about! Our room was great, a four poster king sized bed, hand painted walls, Arabian drapes and carpets, just loved it. The room had a living area, 2 walk in closets, a make up room and a separate shower/bath & WC. Parking is $12 per 24 hours, less than half the price of the chains over the road, the bar was cheap, as was breakfast, but price is not what this is about, it is about something different. This place is class, it has character, put it in Vegas and they would be queuing round the block. Loved it, would stay here again and recommend it to my friends

1 Thank Dave T