“Great hotel with friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #156 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at Figueroa Hotel for four nights in mid December and had a great experience. To be honest we were a little worried when after emailing to say we'd like to make use of the car park we got the response 'sounds good. Note that when you book on line you get the very smallest room since you pay the least.' Weird thing to say to guests, but hey, I guess at least they're honest.

However, we needn't have worried as the room was plenty big enough and beautifully decorated in the hotel's Middle Eastern style. The lobby is just beautiful and a great spot to enjoy a complementary coffee and pastry in the morning.

The room was a little noisy, but what else would you expect in downtown LA? Surprisingly the hotel doesn't provide free wifi, however, the AT&T hotspot is available for $5 per day. The staff at the front desk were really helpful in recommending local places to eat and visit and made our stay a very pleasant one.

A great hotel to which I'd happily return.

Room Tip: Asking for a non-Figueroa Street side room would likely cut down on the noise a bit if you're th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1985Dan

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I love this hotel! I dreamt to stay here and to make it even more magical I was upgraded by Uno the charming owner. It's unique and wonderfully and tastefully decorated. Transformed from a former YMCA, it shows little or no signs of age, but beauty in the authentic handpicked Moroccan decor from a life of travel. Uno, the owner is very attentive, as were all of the staff that I had the pleasure to interact with. I held out too long in writing my review and am just about to book my revisit for a business trip next week. During this year I send my colleagues there as it is so conveniently located to the Staples center and convention area. Restaurants across the street and a huge Ralphs supermarket within a few mins walk. I felt very safe there and in the neighborhood. There is a wonderful pool that transforms day into evening lounge.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We definitely enjoyed staying at the Figueroa Hotel! Its located in the Downtown LA area, walking distance to many restaurants in LA Live and shopping area. The staff were friendly and professional. The hotel lobby is very welcoming with statues, dim lights and comfortable sitting areas with decorative furniture. The pool and patio areas were beautiful and relaxing. The room with twin beds was clean, brightly painted but very small. We would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Twin Room is very small.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stayed again at the unique Downtown LA Figueroa Hotel. We enjoyed our stay last April so much, we have been trying to think of an excuse to come back. We found one when we saw the Moody Blues were playing at the Nokia Theatre. We recommended the concert and hotel to 3 couples. They thoroughly enjoyed their stay. They also loved the hotel's décor and character. The friendly hospitality and laid-back feeling of the place were appreciated. Bertuno, the owner and manager, was extremely accommodating. The central downtown location cannot not be beat. Our group is already planning a return stay, perhaps to see a Kings game. See you in a few months Bertuno!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I have season tickets to the Music Center and we stay in downtown LA 4 to 5 times a year. We usually stay at the Hilton Checkers when in town. We decided to stay at the Figueroa Hotel for something different. It’s located very near the Staples Center and 3 blocks from the 7th St Metro Center. We walked from the subway to the hotel and when we walked through the unassuming doorway we felt that that we had walked into the Marigold Hotel after renovation because of its ‘other world ‘ charm. The two young women at the desk were gracious and welcoming in their greeting. I did not feel as if I was in one of the antiseptic chains. The sounds of downtown LA disappeared upon entering. Later that night after going to the theater and dinner we returned to the hotel. It had come “alive”. The bar was booming and the poolside tables were delightful. The bartender makes great Mai Tais. It was an evening that you can only find in LA but most importantly, the beds are good, the shower was great and the rooms are quaint and quiet.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I just returned from a trip to attend a conference at the LA Convention Center, and decided to eschew the convention hotels (Ritz, Marriott, Luxe) and stay at the Figueroa. I was glad I did. This is a neat and funky place, with an abundance of character. My room was large, comfortable, and quiet (even though it was on the first floor). It is convenient to the Convention Center, Staples Center and LA Live, and much less expensive than neighboring hotels. My only disappointment is that the owner/manager never responded to my email request for a higher level room, and when I checked in they said no such rooms were available. But, as I mentioned, my first floor room turned out to be fine.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This place is fabulous. From the uninspiring outside, showing a hint of North Africa, you might be eager to discover what awaits you within. Or you might shy away because it is not all new and shiny like the adjacent JW Marriott. If you do shy away, you will have short-changed yourself. This Moroccan themed hotel looks like a set from a famous 1940s Hollywood movie. Even the pool bar is named Rick's Place. It is stunning and brimming with character. Persian rugs, hand carved wall-hangings, statutes, authentic light fixtures, music - this hotel combines it all with the perfect decorator's touch.

I had the privilege of staying last weekend in its premier room, the Casablanca Suite. This suite is the only room on the Mezzanine and has a private staircase. It is around 1000 square feet with a bathroom the size of many hotel rooms alone. The 8 foot armoire in the bathroom was well stocked with towels and soaps. You need them for the custom built tub and shower. The tub was about three feet deep and about 6 feet by 8 feet in size. I felt like a king, or rich American overseas traveler, when I showered in it.

The suite has a canopied bed with a wonderfully comfortable featherbed mattress, a huge sitting area, a walk-in closet, a kitchen area (fridge, sink and coffee maker only), and a writing room. It also has a tiny hidden closet revealing a small collection of books. When in this room it felt like I was in another world.

The hotel's location cannot be beat. It is in downtown LA surrounded by Trader Vics, Mortons Steakhouse and The Original Pantry. If that is not good enough for your dining tastes, every other restaurant you can imagine is within a block or two. Staples Center is 2 blocks away and LA Live is 1 block away. We were visiting LA for USC's Parents Weekend and the 8 minute drive to the campus is perfect. On one trip to campus I took the light rail which has a station at USC - the station nearest the hotel is 2 blocks away. The hotel also has limousine service. I took their town car to USC on one occasion and the fee was only $12.00.

Previous reviews have criticized the staff and management and the food quality at the cafe. Disregard those reviews. The staff always had a smile and accommodated my every request. I needed a late checkout - no problem. I wanted to use the pool after regular hours - I was told just to ask when I needed it. I needed to leave my car past checkout - of course (though there was an expected additional fee). When I needed the town car, the front desk had it there for me in minutes. I met the owner/manager, Mr. Thimansson. I found him to be charming and caring. He has a dry sense of humor which some previous reviewers may have mistaken for rudeness. But he is a very nice host.

As for the cafe, it is the weak point of the hotel. I ate there one morning because I did not want to walk outside the lobby. The food was served buffet style but individually item priced. The prices were so inexpensive that you have to overlook any concerns with quality. Orange juice was $1.50. Bacon was $1.50. Both cereal and eggs were $1.00. You cannot find a less expensive breakfast in LA. But if you want a classic breakfast experience, walk the one-half block to the landmark Original Pantry (where a full breakfast with orange juice and coffee will cost you about $20 per person). The hotel knows it is surrounded by fine dining and it does not try to compete with those establishments. It offers a reasonable breakfast at a more than reasonable price.

My recommendations of this hotel are not based on price. The rooms are reasonably priced, not inexpensive. The cafe and bar are very inexpensive. It is the charm, service, cleanliness and location that now make the Hotel Fig my hotel of first choice in Los Angeles.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family