“Amazing”

California African American Museum
Ranked #148 of 590 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: The California African American Museum explores the art, history, and culture of African Americans, with an emphasis on California and the West. Located in Los Angeles' beautiful Exposition Park, CAAM features a range of dynamic, changing exhibitions and public programs for all ages and interest. Admission is free.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I was very pleased by the art and information this museum presented. They actually have old video playing.
Impressive ,however this is not a kid friendly place ( 2-4yrs) my children were with me. The 4 year found some things interested but he didn't know what they were and the 2 yr old was pulling me out the door from the moment I went in. It's small but I would suggest if you have a small child with you put them in a small stroller.
Otherwise enjoy. Oh and it's free.

1  Thank ALLATHA F

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the displays here. I expected to see the typical history of African Americans and instead was treated to find displays by various artists and historically significant business people. While the museum is rather small the displays were well done and very informational. I was there with a local who was surprised by how the displays had changed so it sounds like the do a good job keeping it fresh.

The is no admission cost (donations accepted). The cost to park is $10 which I thought was very reasonable.

1  Thank s0krm0m
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Park at exposition park and you can see this, NHM and the Science Center for $10 , which I saw as a bargain. Admission to the CAAM is free and the front desk was helpful and knowledgeable. She was highly praising the room with art by untrained artists. That art was depressing and not very good. The Civil War exhibit was great and the room with the biggest AA owned company was interesting. There was an exhibit about the anniversary of the march on Washington, it was ok, but I could have put that together. The thing that upset me was that you could not take photos, and I would have liked to take pictures of the trash art on the walls. They could have done so much more with this space.

3  Thank coutterhill
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stopped by this museum after spending an hour with the crowds at the neighboring Science Museum and found this to be a very nice change of pace. It is not a large museum, can be seen in an hour. The exhibits were on civil war soldiers, the first african-american insurance company from LA which was very interesting, a movie on the march on DC, and several art displays. The staff was wonderful and all in all a very nice museum. There is no admission charge but parking in Exposition Park is $10. Afterwards, we went across the street to have lunch at Philly Cheesesteak and they told us next time thru, to have lunch there first, and then we could leave the car there and walk over. We will do this as being from Philly, we found this to be very close to a true Philly cheesesteak.

1  Thank rduinc
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The art on exhibit when I visited was great. It's a well-lit spacious, but small, museum. Each room was dedicated to a different exhibit. I found most of the exhibits to be informative. There were info. books to reference while touring the museum. The staff were nice and welcoming and seemed to be knowledgeable about the artists. I think it's a great place to take young and seasoned folks alike. It's in a seemingly nice area located near the University downtown and other museums/attractions. Parking was easy (on street metered) and close by. Avoid the gated lots b/c the cost just isn't worth it. Try to find on-street parking.

2  Thank jerz609