“Great Motel”

Ranked #68 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Dublin
“Great Motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This motel was great. We had clean room every day, pool and jacuzzi just behind the door, friendly staff. We didnt need anything else. Most of our time we spent outside anyway, but during our stay in motel we couldnt ask for more. I would stay there again. Motel also had great location, only few metro stops from Hollywood blvd.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

It may look a little outdated on the outside,but the rooms and pool area are clean and nice! The motel is close to the metro station and one stop from Hollywood Blv!
The staff is friendly and the parking lot is quite spacious!
What to ask more?!?!

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was on a bit of budget road trip with my sister and this place appealed to us because it came up quite cheap. With that in mind we wasnt expecting anything great.
How wrong we were! On arrival the staff were lovely and couldnt help us enough and made our stay an excellent one.
The room itself was pretty big, clean and had everything we needed like a fridge, safe and a good shower. And free parking too!
The location was perfect for us, we got to travel round a little and wasnt too far from anything.
I know the hotel had a kind of social room which housed a microwave, kitchen bits and washing facilities but I didnt use that.
The jacuzzi finished off everyday perfectly! Allowed in it till ten which was the best part after a long day seeing the sights relaxing in that was amazing!
The only thing I could nit pick about would be the reception area it didnt look too inviting but dont let that put you off!
Great place and would definitely stay agin if I had to :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We are staying in this motel at the start of a honeymoon tour of the SW USA. It is in a great location, and very good value compared to the other options in the area. The rooms and lobby are a bit tired, but very clean and well equipped. Ours has a coffee machine, TV, fridge, A/C, room safe and hair drier, and plenty of space for our luggage. The shower room is modern and very clean. Outside there is a room with washing machines, microwave and ice maker for your convenience, complete with tourist information leaflets to browse. The pool looks nice too!

Once again trip advisor has come up trumps! We would never have chosen this place without the recommendations of other - and are very happy to add ours to the list.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RichW123
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at the Coral Sands recently while I was attending an Irish language immersion weekend in nearby Los Feliz.

I have to say that my first impression wasn't terribly favorable. Although the external facade and lobby of the motel are attractive and well-kept, the peeling paint on the door and window frames and the poor condition of the second-floor walkway (not unsafe, but definitely unattractive. See picture) certainly gave me second thoughts as I walked from the lobby to my room (I was in room 212...a single king on the second floor).

As I got settled, however, and had a look around, I realized that the owners of this older property have clearly (and wisely) focused on putting money and effort where it matters most: In the guest rooms and common areas. Good thing I never rely too heavily on those first impressions, as I would have missed a very pleasant stay!

To begin with, the people who worked the front desk were some of the nicest and most helpful I've encountered in many years of staying in hotels and motels. Always a smile and a "good morning!" or "did you have a nice day?" as you go in and out, always ready with a friendly answer to your questions. I definitely felt like a welcome guest!

My room was small, but very attractive...decorated in warm earth tones. Carpet, tile, furniture, paint, and fixtures all appeared new, or nearly new, and everything was super-clean. The king-sized bed was a little firm for my tastes (I usually sleep on a full-wave waterbed, though, so make of that what you will!), but comfy enough, and all the bedding also smelled and looked very fresh and clean. Air conditioning was provided via a wall unit that cooled the room efficiently (and I was very glad for it, as I arrived on one of the hottest days of the year so far, with outside temperatures nearing the 100s!)...some might have found it a bit noisy, but it didn't bother me (after about 10 minutes it was little more than "white noise").

In addition to the bed, my room came equipped with two two-drawer nightstands, a full-sized chest of drawers, a large closet (which also contained a safe), a small table with two chairs, a flat-screen TV (only got about 10 channels, but worked well), a coffee maker, a hair dryer, and a mini-fridge. No microwave, but one is available for guests' use in the common room (more on that in a bit). There was an adequate number of electrical outlets (always something I look for, now that just about everyone, myself included, travels with multiple electronic devices!).

The free wi-fi also worked well...I had no problem at all with it at all (which is not something I'm always able to say about budget motels!).

The ensuite bath was small, but squeaky-clean, and appeared to have all new, or nearly new, fixtures (toilet, washstand, shower). I especially liked the shower, which was quite large and equipped with really nice slip-free tiles (shower head gave good water pressure, and the water heated up quickly).

As far as the common areas go, the pool and spa area is really lovely...nicely landscaped with all kinds of beautiful plants, with plenty of places to relax with a book or to chat with friends. I didn't get a chance to use them, but the pool and jacuzzi both looked sparkling clean and in good repair. One thing to be aware of: While the guest rooms are all non-smoking, they do allow smoking in the pool area, so if that's something you're likely to be bothered by you might want to give it a miss (doesn't bother me).

There is a very nice little common room near the lobby that offers guests two coin-operated washers and dryers, free use of a desktop computer (with instructions on how to email important documents such as boarding passes to the front desk to be printed out), and a microwave oven. There are also some dishes available for residents' use, as well as some laundry products, and a big rack of brochures on things to see and do in the area.

The location is excellent. Good neighborhood (Urban, but not frightening. As a relatively street-smart middle-aged woman traveling alone, I felt quite comfortable walking around by myself). There's a small shopping center next door with a Ralph's supermarket, a Ross Dress for Less (handy if you forgot to pack something!), a shoe store, a Starbuck's (essential!) and a couple of fast-food places. There are lots of good restaurants within easy walking distance or a short drive (particularly if you happen to like Thai food, which I do. The location is right on the brink of Thai Town). Griffith Park, with its renowned observatory, The Greek Theater, and miles of hiking trails, is just a five-minute drive away, as is the L.A. Zoo. It's also very convenient to I-5 and US 101, which makes it a great base for exploring the greater Los Angeles area.

There is a parking lot on the property for guests (it's behind the building, and accessed via a narrow driveway just to the left of the motel sign). It's well-lighted, and easy to get into and out of. Access to all the rooms is via the front lobby, however, so you may want to park in the loading zone out front and lug your gear into the lobby before parking (either that or park near the parking lot entrance or exit, both of which are pretty close to the front door). Also be aware that they are very strict about the "one car per guest room" policy (they have to be, as the lot isn't terribly large), so if you're planning to have people visit you in your room, be sure they know to look for parking on the street.

The only downside to this motel is it probably isn't the best choice for people who are wheelchair-bound. As of this writing, there is no ramp access to the lobby, through which you need to go to get to the guest rooms. There appears to be one under construction just to the left of the main stairs, but it was roped off during my stay. Definitely something to ask about, if you're considering a stay here and are dependent on a wheelchair for mobility. The stairs themselves are low-risers with broad steps, and would be easy enough to negotiate with a walker, or perhaps by a chair if you have someone to help you, but would probably be a challenge to someone using a chair without additional assistance. The small bathrooms would also present a challenge, as they don't allow for much maneuvering.

It's also worth noting that there is no elevator to the second floor, so if that's an issue for you, you'll want to request a ground-floor room when you book.

The rooms themselves are also relatively small...perfect for one or two people, but maybe not the best choice for families traveling with multiple children (I'm basing this on my own room and on the two or three doubles I was able to peek into. It may be worth calling to see if they have any larger rooms that are suitable for families).

For my purposes, however, The Coral Sands was just perfect, and I will definitely stay there again should I attend the same event next year.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have mobility issues, request a ground-floor room at booking.