“Hidden Gem”
Review of Jerry's Motel

Jerry's Motel
Ranked #12 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I must say at the outset I was very nervous about staying in this neighborhood - it's in downtown Los Angeles, very close to the financial district and not that far from Dodgers Stadium. I don't think I would feel comfortable walking late at night, but during the day and early evening through perhaps 9 or 10 pm the neighborhood is pretty safe feeling - lots of families with young children out. It's a very heavily hispanic (probably mexican) neighborhood. It's also quite close to public transportation. Around the corner from Jerry's is a street with a few Bodegas, plus a pizza and mexican place that had a REALLY good huevos rancheros, which I enjoyed for a breakfast. Jerry's does give you free muffins and instant coffee. If you make a right out of the motel, and an immediate right on the major street, and walk down one or two blocks you come to a really interesting mexican bakery. You take a steel pizza pie plate and a pair of tongs and help yourself to the various baked goods on display. I chose perhaps 7 or 8 items, mostly because I wanted to try one of each.. those 7 items plus a cup of coffee were $3.10 which was amazing.

The room was clean, the staff very responsive, the towels were the fluffiest towels I have ever had at a hotel. The area was a bit noisy but not too bad. Because we needed twin beds we were given the handicapped room. Because of various state laws etc. the handicapped room didn't have a counter in the bathroom or a dresser in the room, although they had some sort of hanging contraption in the closet if you need to unpack anything. After you park, you walk up to the front office and ring the phone, then someone comes to the front office almost immediately. Part of the check in process is that they give you a nice little bag of snacks and water, and a very detailed list of restaurants and points of interest. I found them very helpful and I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: if you don't need twin beds, ask for the non handicapped room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Nekolover
JerrysMotel, Manager at Jerry's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Hi Nekolover,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay! It's great that you enjoyed your stay and would stay again in the future. We are conveniently located near Dodger Stadium and downtown LA, which provide great entertainment and dining options. Glad you found the neighborhood bakery that is indeed a bargain if you like Mexican sweet bread - also known as "pan dulce".

Hope to have you as a guest again next time!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We spent a couple of nights here and couldn't have asked for a better "budget" stay. Super friendly check-in that included a nice little gift bag with snacks. The room was comfortable and quiet. To get a room this close to downtown with free parking in LA is incredible.

We paid $15 for a cab ride each way to Dodger Stadium.

Short, by LA standards, drive to Hollywood and Universal Studios.

I would highly recommend this place for anyone looking to save a bit of money on lodging if they don't plan on spending a tonne of time in the room and would rather use that money to explore the city.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jake N

Hi Jake N,

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear your stay with us worked out great. You are correct, we are a good option for visitors looking for a clean hotel at an affordable price that allows you to save some money and spend it on shopping, dining and other attractions in Los Angeles.

Thanks again for sharing and staying with us!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed at Jerry's Motel a week ago by myself. I chose it because it was by far the best value I could find, and also because it had great reviews everywhere I looked!

When you arrive, you dial the phone and are promptly greeted. I was given a map and a little goody bag of snacks. This was great. They asked if I wanted directions to somewhere, or suggestions of places to go. I also checked in right at 3:00, check in time, and the room was totally ready to go.

The room itself was a decent size. The bathroom was "remodeled." It looks like the tiles have been refinished and there's a small Ikea vanity. The shower was also a good size. I used the desk in the room to spread out all my stuff and get ready in the morning. The bed was honestly pretty hard, but would work for someone who likes a firm bed. There was a walk in closet with a safe and a mini fridge, no microwave in my room. The flat screen TV with satellite cable was a nice touch.

As far as location, I'd say I didn't feel unsafe. If you live in a city and are used to a little nitty gritty like me, this location is great. It's actually surrounded by schools and apartments. If you're a little more weary of cities, then maybe you wouldn't like the area. My biggest issue with the location was lack of parking. The lot itself is parking for people staying in the motel ONLY, which is good, because there is just enough spots for everyone. I had a friend come back and visit for a bit, though, and it took us probably 20 minutes to find parking for him, and it was a 15 minute walk away. I will say, though, that the motel was extremely centrally located, and I got everywhere I wanted to go within 20-30 minutes. I had no problems getting to Silverlake or Santa Monica, or the Hollywood Hills. If you don't have a car, I'm not sure how friendly it is for that, but for someone with a car like me, it worked out great.

So overall, I'd definitely recommend Jerry's Motel. It's nothing frilly or fancy, but basic, super clean, friendly, and inexpensive! If you're going to be out sight seeing, then you really don't need anything more.

Room Tip: I could hear the footsteps of the people in the room above me. If noise is a concern, ask for a seco...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank wendalyng
JerrysMotel, Manager at Jerry's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Hi wendalyng,

Thanks for sharing with the TA community! It's great to hear we were a great value for your stay in LA. It's always great to hear from our guests who acknowledge that we are a basic, clean, no-frills hotel that is affordable. Although affordable, we do like to make sure our satellite TV selection is plentiful to keep our guests entertained in the evenings.

Sorry about the lack of guest parking. We only have 10 parking spots for 10 guest rooms and want to ensure that all guests have a spot. Sorry for that inconvenience, but we're glad our location and room worked out great for you!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed here when we arrived in LA and three weeks later when we left. In the meantime, we had the occasion to compare Jerry's with other motels on the road. It is clean and the people at the front desk are helpful and friendly. Amenities include fridge, closet, clock, a good WiFi connection, and CNN - which we didn't find everywhere (and nothing bolted down). The location close to downtown saves on money for transportation and the bus close by is convenient for Hollywood and other neighborhoods. It's a bit far from Metro Rail. The neighborhood is real LA, which we prefer to the glamorous. We felt safe at all times and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mbriaud
JerrysMotel, Manager at Jerry's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Hi mbriaud,

Thanks for your great feedback! It was a pleasure having both you and your son as guests during your recent trip. Thank you so much for the compliments about our front desk staff and the cleanliness. We always do our best to provide a clean comfortable room for our guests, along with the amenities you mentioned - including CNN! We truly believe a quality TV lineup helps our guests relax and decompress after long days of sightseeing.

Thanks again for staying and hopefully we'll see you again if you are back in LA!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had a great stay at Jerry's Motel! Don't let the word "motel" fool you because they offer quite a few perks most hotels in the area don't!

At check in, you are greeted with a small welcome bag of snacks & bottled water. The owners were very friendly & offered a wealth of information about surrounding attractions, restaurants & transportation. They give you a list of these things & how far away they are & what public transportation to take.

Upon getting in the room, it is very clean with modern decor & fixtures. There is a nice flat screen HD tv with satellite, free wi-fi, mini fridge, stocked with muffins, teas, instant coffee & an electric kettle. Nice size shower & walk in closet with safe. Comfortable queen size bed & good size air conditioning unit within reaching range from bed. Room has a dresser and small desk area.

The check out is 11am but they allowed me to store my bags in the room until my shuttle bus arrived at 2pm. I went out for breakfast nearby at the Central Market about 4 min away via Uber. They're very close in location to the fashion district.

I'd really recommend staying here, it was a very reasonable price for the quality of service. I felt very safe there as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Yulixx
JerrysMotel, Manager at Jerry's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hi Yulixx,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We're super happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and liked that we offer special little perks that other hotels don't offer.

Although we are small and for the budget-oriented traveler looking for a clean place to stay around downtown LA, we strive to provide an even better value than expected. For this reason, we offer a great selection of satellite TV channels (to keep guests entertained after their long days), muffins for a small breakfast (or snack!), and luggage storage for guests like yourself without a car.

Grand Central Market was a great choice, by the way! We recommend it to our guests for breakfast, lunch or dinner since it has various options that are just plain delicious.

We hope to have you as a guest again when you are back in LA!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stated at this motel for 4 nights recently and were thrilled with the service we received! The motel is situated in a good location downtown LA and is extremely comfortable with frequent maid services. The staff are excellent and extremely helpful no matter what time of day you need them there is always someone on hand to help! We arrived late at night after a long flight and even longer wait for a rental car and were extremely tired. We went to check in and were greeted by a very helpful woman who gave us a map of LA, some advice about sightseeing tours and a lovely little package with water and snacks in to keep us going. (Which I have never known a hotel to do before and it's the little touches like this which really make Jerrys an outstanding place to stay!) I would definitely recommend this motel to anyone looking for a base to explore LA on a budget- it is not a palace but you get what you pay for and here I felt like I got more than I paid for and expected.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank xxLAUx
JerrysMotel, Manager at Jerry's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hi xxLAUx,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and for the great compliments about our staff. They are always here to help!

Although we are a budget oriented hotel, we strive to offer our guests a great value. And based on your experience, we are incredibly happy that your stay was a success!

We hope to have you as a guest again if you ever tour LA again!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Small motel in downton LA, good base for trips around the city with your car. VERY friendly staff. Clean room, nice size. Good-sized bathroom, walk-in shower. Free wifi included, worked well. TV, fridge, air-conditioning, free parking. No safe. No breakfast, but you get a welcome-pack when you check in, a muffin everyday and a list of restaurants and sights with addresses and pricerange. I dearly recommend this motel to anyone who goes to LA.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank KristinaR329

Hi KristinaR329,

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear our hotel served as a great base to explore the rest of the city. Thanks again for staying and we hope to see you again if you're back in LA!