“The W Knows What They're Doing - and They Do It Well!”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #70 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“The W Knows What They're Doing - and They Do It Well!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed at the W Hollywood for a 6 night stay - 1 day of business, 5 days of vacation with friends. I was a little leery of staying at the W because of the party reputation. But that fear quickly evaporated as soon as I checked in. A beautiful hotel, first class customer service all around, a great stay.

Pros:
. if you need to be in Hollywood but want to avoid the heart of the tourist insanity on Hollywood Blvd, the W is a good choice (as is the Redbury). The W really benefits by being right next to the subway entrance - couldn't be more convenient!
. I stayed in a standard room and loved it - comfortable bed, nice decor (yes, it's all white and clean and modern - not very warm and cozy but it is a W and the cool decor fits the W brand well)
. the bathroom - loved, loved, loved the Bliss amenities in the bathroom! the bathroom is big too. As other reviewers have pointed out, the clear wall on the shower facing the bedroom is a little odd but totally goes with the cool sexy vibe of the decor - the shower is truly amazing, also very big and roomy
. the W pairs up with Acura - you can have a luxurious Acura town car take you where you need to go within 5 miles of the hotel, free of charge. This is an incredible service. If a car is available, take advantage of this service. It's wonderful
. the customer service is excellent - at the front desk they tried to get me an upgrade to a room with a view but none were available. I honestly didn't mind, i was happy to stay put in the room I had. but the front desk offered my 2 free cocktail vouchers to enjoy in the Living Room Bar to make up for the upgrade which I happily accepted and used within 24 hours!
. and the restaurant Delphine is terrific - I only had breakfast there and yes it's pricey but the food is delicious and again, the customer service was excellent - the hostesses and waiters and waitresses were so friendly and professional, and they provide free newspapers too

Cons:
. although I wasn't overwhelmed by the party atmosphere, it does exist - especially on weekends, it's really out of control. And the crowd unfortunately consists of Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, Jersey Shore wannabes (though why you would want to be any of them is a mystery...). The good thing is, security is everywhere. Again, this is really only out of control only on Fridays and Saturdays, during the week it's nonexistent
. the WiFi is not great - I constantly had to re-log in over and over throughout my stay which was annoying

That said, I do recommend the W in Hollywood. Yes, you can find cheaper alternatives but the level of service here is worth the price.

Room Tip: To avoid nightclub noise, ask for a room on a middle floor (like floor 5 or 6). My room was on 6 and...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank eastdeparture
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Hello and thank you for posting a review on your awesome experience. I am so glad to hear that we made you feel comfortable throughout your stay. We are the perfect location for any activity you can think of – from shopping and dining to sightseeing. The décor of our rooms offers a functional, stylish space. The Bliss Spa amenities are an added luxury in every room. You should stop in and try a service in Bliss Spa the next time you are in town. They are the best. Our Living Room Bar has great specialty cocktails so I am glad you got to have a few on us.

I have already shared your compliments with our team and they look forward to welcoming you back soon!

All the best,
Leon Y.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Had a stay-cation at the W Hollywood just because...

We got a fabulous room - room was clean, and with a color theme - blue - makes me happy. We spent the afternoon at the pool on the roof top, I spent most of my time people watching. We also took advantage of the travelzoo voucher at the bliss spa and enjoyed 2 hours of spa.

We also partied at Drai's - i heard they would give entry passes to SPG gold/plat but I didn't get that as a plat (not sure if that's true or not). But the front desk staff helped us to track down the liaison person with the club and he helped us to skip the lines and got in. Awesome party scene.

If you are staying at this hotel for the weekend, make sure you don't stay close to the roof top floors - you probably won't be able to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the W Hollywood on the last night of our US honeymoon. We loved the hotel and our whole experience, especially the concierge service and free trip to anywhere we wanted in a town car!
Our room was very relaxing and luxe; we made the most of the comfortable bed by having a night in.
We enjoyed dinner at Delphine's, and a couple of drinks in the hotel bar, finding the service to be friendly and on-point.
We wished at the end of our stay that we had more time in LA than just the one night, so will certainly be back to explore more at some stage, and back at the W Hollywood for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

For those that want to stay in Hollywood, I totally recommend this place. This place stands out like a shining beacon in an otherwise dump of a place called Hollywood.

Walking inside will take your breath away and it is always buzzing with activity. The rooms are very spacious, modern and clean. I wish I could remember the name of the ambassador at the door but hats off to him as he was always friendly and helpful.

The location is handy for those who want to check out Hollywood (which I recommend to give it a miss) and also a quick cab ride to Universal Studios.

However it is not a hotel for those that want peace and quiet. There is a nightclub upstairs which is pumping away during the night and the lobby is always busy.

But for those who wants to experience the Hollywood night life and be seen, then this is the one for you.

• Stayed April 2013
Lake Lotawana
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Great location in Hollywood. Stayed here for the TCM film festival. Very quiet rooms. Vibrant location if you want to be in Hollywood. Within walking distance to all theaters. Great bar scene. Room service was excellent. Enjoyed the living Room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 26 April 2013

OK... I am in my early 30s, and yet I felt I am too old for this hotel. I get the Hollywood chic, the LA hip and the high energy vibe, but I think they are trying too hard to be "uppity" and exclusive.

You will see a lot of Heidi Montag/Spener Pratt lookalike hanging at the lobby bar, however receptionist was nice though. Clean and decent size room for a big cities hotel, but I was given a room on the 3rd floor next to the elevator, so no view for me.

This hotel is at the far end of Hollywood, the area is a bit sketchy in my opinion. I chose not to valet park and used the parking lot next to the hotel, $20 per night. Oh, and also Internet is $14.95 per night if you are not an elite spg member.

Generally this is not a bad hotel, but I don't think I will be back, or the W Hotel chain for that matter. I prefer Aloft or element under Starwood, at least they are less pretentious.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Hello Jason,

Thank you for your review. It's always great to get feedback from our guests, so we know where we have room to improve. I am sorry to hear that you felt the hotel was too pretentious; that is definitely not the message we want to convey. Hollywood in general attracts people who want to experience the glamorous life, get a glimpse of the stars, and enjoy some of the best restaurants and nightlife in LA. Certain clubs are difficult to get into and restaurant reservations can be impossible to secure without ample preparation.

At W Hollywood though, we want to give our guests inside access to Hollywood. Everyone is welcome and everyone should feel at home. We do everything we can to ensure you have an incredible stay. I do hope that you give W Hotels another shot. There are some amazing properties out there and each one has its own unique look and gives you a different experience.

If you decide to join us again, we'd love to welcome you back and give you the inside access to the best that Hollywood has to offer.

All the best,
Leon
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Hotel is very nice, and staff very pleasant and accomodating. But, don't expect to use the bars in the evening on the weekend. The locals take over the pool and bars Friday and Saturday. Otherwise, great hotel during the week. Convenient to the subway if so inclined. Hollywood Blvd is just a tourist trap strewn with tattoo parlors, souvenir shops, and even a strip club right across the street from the hotel. $30 cab ride to anything downtown LA.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm glad you had a great experience. W Hollywood is definitely very active on the weekends, but as a hotel guest, you have always have access to our Living Room Bar and WET Deck. With the gorgeous LA weather and the amazing views from the deck, the pool fills up very quickly on the weekends. I suggest you arrive early so you have the opportunity to enjoy the scene.

You're right - Hollywood Blvd attracts a variety of tourists and businesses that cater to that crowd. It also though is home to some of the best nightlife and restaurants in LA. Next time you're in town, ask our W Insider about the latest hotspots; he will give you the inside scoop to the best that Hollywood has to offer.

Hope to see you back soon.

Best,