“Fun”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #73 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 November 2013

When we landed, we our driver told us that we were in a good spot in Hollywood. Telling us where Snoop Dogg, (or Lion) goes for chicken and waffles. So the hype was built, and we were excited.

We got to the W and were greeted by their door staff, who were casual and polite. There is an air of casual, non-regimented service about the W and the staff in general. We checked in and was promptly brought to our room.

Unfortunately, there were dirty glasses outside our room, which led us to suspect the room was clean too quickly to cater to the turnover. The room itself was nice, but there were stains on the towels, glasses were missing (well, they were the dirty ones outside that weren't replaced timely), and the a/c by the tv was making a lot of noise. The kind of "white noise" you don't appreciate. With that, we called down to the Front Desk and asked for another room. Never like doing that, hotels have a way of making you feel you are "finding fault" to get an upgrade, but all we want was a room that we booked for.

The girl over the phone was apathetic and then told us we'll have a room change, where we moved one door down. The room was clean, and the doorstaff that helped us earlier, was a lot more apologetic than the Front Desk staff.

We settled in our room and don't get me wrong, we liked it. The little details like "dream harder" on the bed was something that draws me to the W. It's current. To our dismay, the internet was down. And this may not be a big deal for locals who can draw on their on 4G, but to International Travellers, some of the itinerary/plans/etc are dependant on wifi. And it would be nice to not have to go down to the lobby. Again, the "whatever/whenever" line was blasé about it. It's tricky with them, sometimes when we call down, we get the friendliest happiest staff. Sometimes, we are made to feel we are bothering them. I wish I got the name of the guy over the phone that was so enthusiastic, you could tell he was smiling over the phone, and that's always infectious.

We had drinks at night, met with the Concierge staff for suggestions and overall, we enjoyed our stay. The interior design of the W Hotel definitely impresses. Even the change of the mats to Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening makes such a difference. It's one of those hotels, you don't mind staying in and spending your time in.

Overall, it was fun. It does a good job balancing contemporary without being overly pretentious. Amazing branding :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank therahrahshow
There are newer reviews for W Hollywood

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Our stay got off to a rocky start after finding out that my boyfriend reserved our room at the WRONG W for Hard Day of the Dead/ his 27th birthday. As if that night couldn't get any worse we missed almost the entire concert when someone working there named Tim (?) decided to help us out. He was able to move our reservation to the W Hollywood, and give us an upgraded room, and then for Sunday we would have the Cool Corner Suite we had wanted. Besides being really understanding, I felt like Tim went out of his way professionally to ensure our stay was most enjoyable. I was practically in tears because nothing was going right but he assured me everything would be okay and that my boyfriend would have a great birthday, even if he had to see to it himself!

I was just relived that Tim didn't send us away, because the entire hotel was booked from everyone going to the rave. Even Deadmou5 was staying at the W, I ran into him in the elevator ! Everyone at the W was really helpful, and nice. I didn't expect the staff to be so friendly, seeing as how we were dressed and prepared to go to a rave all weekend. No one treated us differently than any of the other guests, and that was really important to me, because in the past, at another upscale hotel nearby they were horrible to us, at almost $1,000 a night... I couldn't believe it, all from how we dressed. Another thing I loved about the W was that they're SUPER DOG FRIENDLY ! I wished we'd had known, or we'd have brought our puppy.

Now for the suite... The cool corner suite is a MUST HAVE if you plan on entertaining friends before or after shows, It's extremely large and has enough room for everyone to move around, and have a great time. The aesthetics are to DIE FOR. The interior design is superb and the room we were in, 1001, the view was truly spectacular. The features are so cool too, they have buttons to roll the shutters up and down, and the drapes from side to side. The bathroom had a waterfall shower head that felt amazing, and the fact that the W is stocked with Bliss products, made my stay THAT much more enjoyable.

All in all I give this place 5 out of 5 stars and I hope that guy that helped us gets promoted because I seriously wanted to die from every single thing going wrong on my boyfriends special day. Not a single thing went right until that guy helped us out and took the stress immediately away from me, and I will be sure to recommend this spot to everyone I know.

Room Tip: Cool Corner Suite is a must.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed the first night of our recent trip to southern California here to do the Hollywood tourist thing. The W is an ideal location to explore Hollywood located at Hollywood and Vine. We had a great experience. We had drinks and apps on the front patio bar for happy hour. Very nice. The king room had a cool window seat/lounge where we could watch the sun go down. The staff was very friendly. On our venture out on foot Sunday AM, we were pleasantly surprised to find the Hollywood Farmers market a block over with several blocks of vendors and some of the most amazing organic produce we've ever seen. There was an awesome jazz trio playing. The walk of fame is just outside. The W Hollywood is a perfect place from which to explore the area. I highly recommend it.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Everything within hotel was awesome until stepped out doors and walked to Chinese Theatre. Felt very unsafe at times - even during day. I'm not naive to living in city as lived in London but was quite scary with some of the people hanging around area.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Fancy hotel in the middle of Hollywood. This became too fancy, since the hotel had a wedding this weekend, with many guests; - party all night long. Twelfth floor (Wet floor – with the pool) closed for all other guest. This is sort of okay, but I wish they told us at reservation time, and then we could have stayed at another hotel. No personal service, overpriced food and drinks. Not to dedicated people working at the hotel. No service what so ever when our toilet didn’t work, and it took them over 6 hours to fix it, with no apologizes.
The hotel is located right at the Hollywood walk of fame, with many bars and shops.
Probably a good hotel if you don’t mind being one of many and not anticipate any service at all.
We will not visit this hotel again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Trude K
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

The location is perfect. But, when we were there, it was a wedding all weekend so it was too loud and too many people. That's ok in some way but when they also closed the pool area it is not ok. They could have told us when we made the reservation. One other thing which made our stay not so good was some problems with the toilet. That can happen, but when they need over 6 hours to get it fixed and you need to tell them 3 times, that is not the standard of a hotel of this kind. Especially when they fix it at one at night and you want to sleep. We will not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Hello!

Thank you for your comments. We do our best to inform all guests of any events on property prior to their arrival. However, if your reservation is made through a third party and we don't have access to your email address, it is very difficult to reach you.

Engineering does the best that they possibly can to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable and everything is in working order. Getting everything fixed in as timely a manner as possible is our primary focus. Please reach out to me at GMleon.young@whotels.com so we can discuss your stay further.

All the best,
Leon Y.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Words cannot describe how wonderful a time we had at the W hotel in Hollywood.The service and staff are incredible-so friendly! Just ask and you shall receive. As beautiful as this hotel is, it is the staff that really makes it a worthwhile place to stay--especially Lauren Travis who gave impeccable recommendations and a wonderful amenity. This hotel is hands down the best place to stay in HOLLYWOOD, super clean, very comfortable, and located near many 5 star restaurants and other amazing venues. Next time I'm in the area, hopefully soon, I will absolutely stay at the W in Hollywood and recommend to anyone visiting. Thank YOU for making our vacation so memorable! I am really looking forward to my next trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends