“Awesome hotel in the heart of Hollywood”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #70 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bath, United Kingdom
“Awesome hotel in the heart of Hollywood”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights on the way home from our honeymoon in Hawaii. It was well worth the stop.
You can't beat the view of the Hollywood sign in the hills whilst enjoying a glass of fizz from the roof top pool.
We arrived at 7 am from our night flight, intending to drop off our bags they actually let us check in and head to our room where we found a lovely bottle of bubbles and congratulations letter from the concierge.

Only negative is they only give you one bottle of water in your room and the mini bar is more expensive than average.

Stay here for the trendy vibe and celeb spotting at Drais.

Stayed September 2013
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hello!

Congratulations to you newlyweds! Thank you for celebrating with us. We are always glad to bring you water at anytime throughout your stay. Just give us a call at Whatever/Whenever. We are in a great location for exploring the city or unwinding with a couples massage at Bliss.

I hope to see you back soon!

Leon Y.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

This seems to be a W Hotel problem. Great facility, great desk staff, terrible restaurants. Service is poor and food is mediocre.

Dear Starwood, Im starting to avoid the W brand. Teach your staff to be warm and helpful please.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've stayed at many Starwood hotels and this was the worst by far. First our room was messed up when we arrived, we were supposed to have a King bed, but instead 2 queen beds. The lobby was very outdated and all of the windows and glass doors were dirty. The outdoor lounge area was nice, but we could never find a seat. The first morning we went up to the pool and they had done nothing, I mean nothing to clean up from the previous night club. It was flithy. Another day we went to the pool and although the trash was not present the lounge beds were stained and disgusting...to lay down I put down 6 towels so that no part of me was touching it. No pool side staff...that could have just been the time of year (Early November). The location is nothing to brag over either. I would have much rather stayed away from the "touristy" area and stayed in West Hollywood. Staff was just fine, but never went out of their way or were particularly friendly. When you go away you want to feel special and pampered. This hotel failed terribly!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bsharkey17
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hello,

We are a very lively hotel. It is not uncommon for there to be several events taking place throughout the day and night. We recommend arriving early to any of our venues. Station Hollywood and the Living Room are popular destinations for locals and guests alike.

I assure you any uncleanliness of the hotel is taken care of in a timely manner. If you ever find any aspect of the hotel in disarray, please don't hesitate to let us know while you are still with us and it will quickly be taken care of.

Many guests choose our hotel simply based on our location. We are in very close proximity to be many popular attractions, nightlife and dining. If you ever need a recommendation or would like help making a reservation, please reach out to us and we will make sure it is set it up for you.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is an absolutely gorgeous hotel, with a fantastic location. The service by all of their employees is outstanding. When I arrived with two of my bridesmaids the night before our wedding, the manager Simon Hunt checked us in and personally carried our luggage to our room and took his time to show us how to use all of the lights and blinds (they are tricky, so I'm so glad he showed us!), as well as explained the location of the fitness facility and all other amenities. The morning of our wedding, Simon checked in with me to make sure everything was perfect with our room and showed me where "Blo" their blow dry bar was since that's where my mom was getting her hair done for the wedding. (Blo did a fantastic job; I would definitely recommend it!) We called in our valet ticket number from our room and our car was waiting for us, which is so great. On the night of our wedding, the hotel staff sent champagne and chocolates to our room, which was so sweet and thoughtful! Simon really went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was wonderful and special, and we really appreciated his personal attention and service. We are so happy that we decided to stay at the W and we will recommend it to all of our friends and family! Thank you, Simon and the W- our stay was perfect!

Room Tip: Corner suites are gorgeous and roomy!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is a fun, upbeat location for both a pleasure or visit trip to L.A. The facility is glitzy and manageable in style. The service was surprisingly courteous and professional. Front desk reception by Fatima was kind and understanding. This is not my usual Starwood location in L.A., but I will now make it a regular stop.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 November 2013

So I stayed with my brother for 3 nights in a suite- the room cost comes to $2000.00 without any extra services. For such a premium price, some premium services should be expected right? I had a few qualms:

(1) the bed linen is of poor quality, quite scratchy, and the mattress is uncomfortable. The extra bed I ordered was actually more comfortable in the end than the double. The housekeeper kindly offered some blankets but these were in pretty poor shape- imagine the sort of blankets you'd give to your CAT.
(2) the fan in my room IS LOUD, wake-up-in-the-night-loud. The only way I imagined to get to sleep was by blazing up and drinking.
(3) room service of 2 so-so burgers, fries, and drinks came up to $120?
(4) the towels are rough...
(5) the "wheels" people were rude. We had called for our car, and the man who got our ticket decides to serve some ladies first, I imagine because they were pretty. They lost my tip.
(6) expensive room right? I called "W whatever", because that's the only button you can call on your room phone for service, and asked if the room had iPod speakers, a pretty normal installation for all decent hotels right? "No, but we can buy you one" was the answer. The guestimated price was $100. WHY would I buy some speakers when travelling- I obviously have some at home, but who travels with speakers?? Maybe I will have to if I ever come here again (against my own volition)

So there are obviously a myriad number of problems going on but what really gets me is the confusion the W Hotel Hollywood seems to have between being a 'party hotel' and a 'luxury hotel'. At night, there is a line outside the door for the hotel's 'famous' bar, and I myself had gone clubbing to Lure which was only a walking distance away. So the location is pristine, but there are a few catches (a) smoking in room is penalised by $500, (b) 2 people to a bed in a room, (c) an overarching rule for "no after-parties". So no parties. But the price suggests luxury. Wrong again. The painful conclusion, it seems to me, is that the W Hotel achieves neither.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Danielnjoo
Hello,

Thank you for your comments. We more often hear about how much our guests love our beds and the linens. They are so well loved we actually sell everything down the mattress. If there is any part of your room that you find not to your liking, please give us a call at Whatever/Whenever and we will be happy to make any adjustments to make your stay more comfortable. We do offer a docking station that is compatible with iPhone 4s and generations before.

We are a very lively hotel with luxury amenities. Our guests enjoy staying with us for the atmosphere, location and impeccable service. We aren't for everyone but do try to make each stay enjoyable.

Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This Hotel is amazing we had the best stay here the room was beautiful with everything you could possibly need, very clean and modern.
I cant say enough about the great service from all the staff. We really appreciated the help we received from the concierge desk from Chris and Britney they were both amazing and so helpful without them we would have been lost-literally!
This Hotel is close to the walk of fame right on Hollywood Blvd only 10 min walk to Chinese Theatre. The restaurant is great and there is a nightclub right next door Drais great for our first night!
I would reccommend this Hotel to any age group as it has something for everyone.
See you there next year!

Room Tip: We had 2 room types the King Room and the 2 Queen Room both as beautiful as each other
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends