“It's A Scene But It's One Of The Best Stays in Hollywood”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #69 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“It's A Scene But It's One Of The Best Stays in Hollywood”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My second visit to the W Hotel in Hollywood. Yes, it's still a scene but the level of comfort, amenities, and professionalism make this one of the best hotels you can find if you want to be in the heart of Hollywood but away from the madness of Hollywood Blvd.

pros:
. the nightclub Drai's is gone! hallelujah! BUT, this only means that the lobby bar (inside and out) now takes over as the place for 20-somethings (A LOT of them) to hang out on the weekends. When not packed with 20-something wanna bes, and those who like them, the lobby bar is exquisite. Amazing space, incredible cocktails. Just enjoy it from Mon-Thurs, avoid at all cost Fri-Sun (unless you're a 20-something and like that sort of thing...)
. beautiful rooms, even the most basic rooms are fairly big and spacious with ample closet and drawer space and handy, easy to access in-room safe
. charging station for all of your mobile devices - brilliant set up! charging plugs for most of your mobile devices, makes it SO easy to keep your phones and tablet charged each day without having to hunt for outlets
. the bathroom is still wonderful (although minus a bathtub), the shower is great - love, love, love the Bliss products, plenty of high quality towels provided daily, tons of vanity/counter space to store your stuff
. comfortable beds - really comfortable beds, makes it very easy to sleep through your alarm
. a complimentary bottle of water provided daily - nice touch (and you can still pay $5 each for the bottles of Smart Water provided all over the room if you like)
. breakfast at Delphine's - still pricey (average breakfast will run you about $30), but the food is delicious and the service is great - I had 4 different waitstaff over the course of my stay, each one was nice, friendly, quick, attentive - really excellent.

cons:
. you know something is amiss when your room comes with a noise machine! I already sleep with a white noise machine back home but I don't come to expect one in my hotel room. Made me very suspicious - and worried - what the noise level would be like. Fortunately, outside noise was a minimum, BUT noise from neighboring rooms was a nuisance. It's always hit or miss what kind of neighbors you'll have in a hotel, unfortunately for the first 2 nights of my stay, my neighbors had their music on nonstop - literally: I heard it when I went to sleep, I heard it when I woke up. Luckily the white noise machine came in handy and I did report the nuisance to the front desk and they said they would look into it. But just be prepared for other guests to play their thump-thump-thump music 24/7.

That said, I do like the W. It is a flashy, shiny, see-and-be-seen place, but I think it's fun to experience that when staying in Hollywood. It fits right in. It would feel weird to have that if I visited Tulsa.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 14 April 2014

There's a reason why I felt inclined to write a new review. And at the end of this review I will share with you exactly why that is. I would however like to start off by saying, that there are some exceptional tips about this property that I would like to share with you as a lifetime platinum member of SPG. What you're going to notice about this property, that's different than any other property I've experienced in the last 12 years as a platinum member, is the fact that the staff here are blissed out and happy ALL the time. And it's not concocted nor is it because they're all secretly wanting to be actors in Hollywood moonlighting as hotel staff! They are truly happy to be at this property, and from the very first arrival you'll be blessed to be greeted by Dakota, Vince, Eddie, Matt, Joey, Simon, Tim, Christian, Andrew, Chris, Cyrus, Christina, Brittany, Fatima, Erin, to name but a few, they all take pride in the fact that they have an opportunity to "wow" you when you first arrive and set the tone for an incredible stay! If you're in need to get some amazing show tickets across the street at the Pantages theater, or maybe one of those hard-to-find tables at an exclusive restaurant, or just simply want to have an incredibly unique experience somewhere around the Hollywood area then make sure you get a hold of Chris or Zachary at the W insiders they're sort of like the superheroes of concierge!
After you check in, and get settled, right around the corner is Trader Joe's. My ritual is, I go to Trader Joe's and I stock up on some snacks and bottled water and probably save myself about $50 a day by not raiding the wet bar or the munchies LOL. I'm also going to suggest, that you take advantage of a dry cleaner (Bubbles) that is literally minutes from the front entrance to the hotel for all of your dry cleaning and laundry needs. It will save you about 25% from what room service charges. Also, right around the corner is a place called "Blow" that if you looking to go out on the town or you have a hot date they'll do it quick hairstyle makeover! There is also the Bliss spa, and my suggestion is when you first get to the hotel plan on booking some reservations for massage, facials, or manicure pedicure, as they can book up quickly.
Rather then deal with renting a car, I have found Uber car to be incredible alternative! For less than the price of a taxi cab fare you get your own personal black car sedan that will show up within minutes OnDemand. It's an application on your smartphone device. And there's a special Promo code, "W hollywood" that will save you $20 off your first fare :-) If you do need to Rent-A-Car, then I would suggest "Silvercar". It's a brand-new car rental company that has just opened up at LAX and for about $45 a day you get a brand-new Audi with free Wi-Fi, free GPS, and you don't even have to return the car with a full tank of gas and they'll only charge the going rate with no markups!
I highly recommend that you have your meals at Delphines, which is right inside the hotel property. You're much better off doing that then wandering around Hollywood Boulevard trying to find something equivalent for your meals. The food there is exceptional, only thing better is probably the service! But if you are looking just for a light menu try the lounge bar, they have this shrimp and sausage dish that is over-the-top amazingly incredible! It's spicy with garlic and lemon zest and olive oil and it makes you feel like you're at the W in New Orleans :-)
Okay, so I've shared some tips, and I raved about how incredible this property is. The Staff make you feel like an A list celebrity! And you don't have to be Leo or Carmen to get that kind of treatment! There's an energy to the atmosphere that's electrified. On Sunday nights they have this incredible live jazz and blues in the lounge bar that would make you feel like you're at a concert in Symphony Hall! Oftentimes you'll randomly run into a Star or someone famous, I've recently seen Jeff Bridges, Ceelo Green, William Shatner, it's really cool and exciting and fun because the W Hollywood is where all the stars stay when they need to stay someplace!
Alright, I don't mean to ramble on, But lastly, and most importantly, I want to make mention of the Leader that in my opinion best represents the magical management style of the Property GM (Leon) His name is Brian and his role is the Director of the Welcome Office. Brian has created so many memorable experiences for me I will never forget him or them. His style of management inspires all the other team members to go above and beyond the guests levels of expectation. And they do it because he has taught them by example that the best way to lead is to put yourself in the guest shoes and give them the type of experience you would want to have. I think all of the staff members at The W Hollywood recognize that as Guests we sometimes only have a small window each year to really take a vacation or have a holiday. Their passion is making sure it's an unforgettable experience and one that we never forget. I think nothing gives them a better feeling than knowing they have accomplished that. What I have truly come to understand, is that since Drais nightclub is no longer on the top floor of the hotel, the whole energy and atmosphere at this property is changed. It is now much more conducive to be able to have the best of all worlds. Meaning you can play hard and have a good time but when you're ready to go to sleep and get some real R&R you don't have to deal with the nightclub right on top of your head! And you don't have to deal with drunk people mistaking your room for their's. The whole energy is new now at The W Hollywood, now it is finally coming into its own as the number one hotel in the W brand! That is what I was saving for the end to share with you, the fact that, if you've ever been to this property in the past and didn't have the kind of experience I described in this review then it's time to revisit the W Hollywood and with 100% of my confidence I can assure you, you'll be blown away!!! (Last tip, on Sundays the farmers market steps away from the hotel is one the best farmers markets in the world, no exaggeration, it stretches on for blocks and you can find every healthy item under the sun!!!)

Room Tip: AAA rates offer you usually the best deal! And also when you check-in ask if there's a possibili...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Baba M
Sydney
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is great for the heart of hollywood. The foyer and reception area is very grand with a great area to chill out and have drinks.
The rooms are plush with all the modern amenities and wifi too.

Hotel facilities such as breakfast is good with lots of choices including healthy options.
The roof top pool is lovely and has great pool parties there as well if you re there on the right weekends. Drake the restartant and club attached to it is good with good food and drinks.

Bliss spa which you can access via the hotel is amazing and has great therapists.

The location of the hotel puts you right on hollywood blvd with easy access to loads of sites in walking distance. Would recommend this place and stay there again!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a middle floor to limit noise from parties in the reception area on the ground flo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hi,

You've described our hotel perfectly! We offer everything you need for whatever kind of stay you are after. For a relaxing stay, head into Bliss Spa for one of their many treatments. Indulge in a massage and facial, or keep it light with a mani/pedi. Heading up the WET and take in the views of the Hollywood Hills with a handcrafted cocktail. Drai's closed late last year, but we have exciting plans for the summer upstairs. If you need any dining recommendations, connect with our Insider Chris. He'd be glad to show you around and get your reservation set up.

Best,
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

There are a few hotels on Hollywood blvd but the multitude of pros versus cons that the W Hotel provides makes it the clear cut choice above almost all the other hotels. If you have business on Hollywood blvd, Sunset, Melrose, Highland, La cienega, santa monica ectera then this hotel is for you. Cozy, modern, superb front desk service, close proximity to a lot of hollywood attractions, Katsuya Sushi restaurant is across the street and so much more. The Drais Club on the rooftop is something to see as well if you are feeling social.
Don't feel pressured to pay the $25-$40 valet parking. There is a public parking lot literally next to the hotel where you can pay $10 overnight.
Also you never know who you might run into at this hotel. I was staying there during the All Star Weekend (during one of my many stays) and rubbed shoulders with Bruce Willis, Neyo, Kobe, Kanye, Dirk Nowitzski, Jordan, Vin Diesel & More at the NIKE party in the lobby. I advice you play the part, maintain composure and not act star-struck taking photos or things of the like and your experience will be more pleasant.
In summary, its my top choice in hollywood even though the room rates on special weekends tend to be a little pricey.

Room Tip: Wonderful rooms are perfect. The fabulous & spectacular rooms are just a tad better if you can r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sigmaikem
Hello!

Our location is ideal for getting just about any where in LA with the tram being located just steps from our hotel. Explore as you like, or take an Uber anywhere you need. You seem very familiar with the area, but if you like to try something off the beaten path, connect with our Insider Chris. He'd be glad to get you a few recommendations.

We are known for our lively environment and occasionally host some high profile events. Sunday Jazz is a local favorite and always worth a look. Stop by early to get a great seat.

See you next time,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We arrived at the W hotel after an internal flight from Fort Worth/Dallas, this was our third stop on our trip and at this point we were pretty exhausted. We arrived just as Jazz night was starting and the very helpful Reception Guy said we were more than welcome to attend as we were guests of the hotel. As a couple of exhausted Brits in hoodies and jeans we didn't feel like glamming it up but thought we'd check it out later, Reception Guy did point out that some 'famous celebs' sometimes attend. Not really the way to win over Londoners but it was sweet of him. He gave us complimentary wifi though which was fab. I am shocked they'd even dare charge $15 per day for wifi though, bit much considering its a 4*. The room was fab, could not really fault it. I wouldn't be totally at ease if I had to share the room with someone who doesn't normally see me naked though as you could peek into the shower from the main part of the room, all in the name of interior design! Absolutely loved the light that came on each time the wardrobe was opened! More lights are needed though, I had to turn on 4 individually lights to get enough light to do my make up in the evening.

We went down to the lobby in some fresh casual clothes so we could find a place to grab food and the Jazz night was in full swing. To say we felt out of place (dress wise!) was an understatement. We hadn't planned on staying but couldn't even go to the bar for a quick drink. The entrances also had ropes and doormen, which to be fair wasn't a problem and we had no issues going in and out but it didn't make me feel welcome in my home for the next three nights. Thankfully that was the last busy night and we did enjoy drinks in the bar the next night. Sadly the music was very loud and went on into the night and we could still hear it when we went to bed. However the next two nights were bliss and the bed was SO comfortable. I wanted to ship it home.

Generally was very good but I would only book this if you are into the glitz and glam, we much preferred our other hotels. It was a little far out but right next to Hollywood & Vine Metro station that we used once to go to Universal Studios City Walk. Looking back I chose this over Loews but think we would have been better off there, firstly for the location and secondly as it wasn't quite so 'up its own rear end'. We picked up our car rental from Loews to drive to San Francisco and it seemed a little more friendly. The W seems to be run by an age group from 20-23 which is no big issue but its nice to see a more diverse age group and we're only in our late 20s!

Room Tip: Choose a high level floor if you stay on a night when they have a big event, a tad quieter! We were...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,546 helpful votes
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We've stayed at the W for just a night - and this was enough.

Due to my Platinum SPG level we got an upgrade to - as the receptionist said - on of their best Suites, a Corner Suite with Hollywood sign view.

The Suite was on the 5th floor and this negative in two ways:
- we got all the street noise Hollywood Blvd, day and night
- since the curtains don't close 100% we got all lights into our bedroom

The room itself was huge, with a separate living room - but an open bathroom to the bedroom. Everything looks a bit old, used - which isn't acceptable at the price charged.

There're better hotels at this price level. So better stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HONkiev
Hello,

We are a very lively hotel in a busy area. Some parts of the hotel may be louder than others, but we do everything we can to accommodate our guests. We are always glad to give an upgrade to our SPG members. Our Fabulous Rooms are some of our most popular rooms in the hotel. Most of our guests love our decor and enjoy the energy. I hope we can welcome you back for another experience.

Best,
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is by far the most swanky hotel I've ever stayed in. From the valet, to the concierge, to the room it was first class all the way. However, it was friendly and warm first class. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends