“Perfectly Lovely Brotel”

Ranked #68 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Alameda, CA
“Perfectly Lovely Brotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I needed a hotel for the night near a gig. I called the hotel directly and the rate they quoted me was significantly higher than the hotels.com rate, so I pulled over, booked on my phone, and checked in. There were all these "be quiet and respectful at night!" signs, and I thought… how nice! I should have thought "maybe when I get back at 11 and just want a quiet drink at the bar the place will have a velvet rope and a dj and be full of obnoxious club kids". Didn't anticipate that. Perhaps I should have? Anyway… the room was (eventually) quiet, though a significant portion of the issues come from the fact that the walls are apparently made of tissue paper and I felt bad for the person on the other side; I heard them come in and knew they were trying to be quiet but could hear every noise.

Hotel was clean, staff were delightful, and I would stay again; away from the elevator. Room service was good and bed was W-style *amazing*.

Perhaps it's quieter during the week; I just really like a quiet drink at a nice hotel bar. This bar looked lovely and I was looking forward to it. Ah, well.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Phreddiva
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello,

We are a very lively hotel, but make sure that it is quiet on all guest floors. That being said, you can sometimes hear music from Station Hollywood and The Living Room depending on the location of your room. I'm glad you found your stay to be comfortable and our service friendly. If you are looking for a quiet place to grab a drink, please reach out to our Insider Chris. He would be glad to give you a few recommendations.

Leon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a few times over the years Requested early check in at noon and all was ready for us at reception.Very friendly staff.Quick change and hit the rooftop pool as usual.Gone since our last visit was Drai's independent management of rooftop pool and bar.This is now far better than it was for hotel guests.Chris Nelson is still the 'W' insider running this area and doing a great job. 4 bar stools on quieter times would be a nice addition for those of us that don't want to sit in the sun and just people watch. Lots of new staff in training at this area .Ate downstairs in both areas and found the food and service good. Friday and Saturday nights are lively on premises and a big screen outside plays high energy music.Street noise from the rooms are well muffled.Mornings we walked Hollywood Blvd for the Hollywood feel..always different Room rates were mid range.We will be back before end of summer.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better...for view and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PALMSPRINGSCOUPLE48
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My first time in la was a dream. Fantastic hotel, fantastic location, unbelievable room, perfect service. What else can you expect? Just because of this hotel i put los angeles into my holiday schedule in 2015 again. We had a suite with my family and it was not like a hotel room, perfectly designed to feel at home.

• Stayed February 2014
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be coming for another visit soon. Our talent always ensures each of our guests has a memorable experience when with us. On your next trip out, stop in for Sunday Jazz. The performance in The Living Room is not one you will want to miss.

See you soon,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a real buzzing and hip hotel, right in the centre of Hollywood! This is exactly where you need to be when staying for night-life and entertainment in LA.

The hotel itself has a large grand Living Room with a bar serving some of the tastiest cocktails. The Living Room has free WiFi and is the perfect place to chill out at any time. The hotel does have a small business centre but I chose to plug-in in the Living Room because I could not get enough! Just outside the Living Room is a beautiful terrace bar - I would have chosen to do my work out here but there was no WiFi connection. The hotel also features a cosy rooftop pool and bar with large cabanas, beds and sun beds - I spent the whole day Sunday relaxing up here with friends over cocktails and it was the highlight to my trip. Other facilities in the hotel include event and conference rooms and a gym. The gym has all the cardio machines that you need, however, it was lacking slightly in free-weights and free-exercise equipment.

We stayed in a Spectacular Suite and this really was an amazing open-plan room, with large glass windows all around, and a perfect view of the Hollywood sign! With heaps of natural daylight, bring white décor and light grey marble finished bathroom, this suite was the perfect place to start and end each day in Hollywood! For those who do not enjoy the natural daylight there are black out blinds that appears at the flick of a switch.

It appeared that the general theme for this hotel was cool red - there was a lot of bright red décor and it worked! Generally speaking this is a very cool and stylish hotel; its relaxing during the day and lively in the evening, yet there are quieter places to disappear to like the business centre and other seating areas.

Not sure if I would stay at the W Hollywood with young children. I wouldn't say it's not a child-friendly hotel, it' just the majority of guests are either travelling on business, looking to party in LA, couples of groups of friends. That said, there was a mother with a baby in the pool on Sunday and they both had a great time with us!

If I visit LA again this is the only hotel I will be staying at. I always pick a favourite feature of every hotel I review... For the W Hollywood it has to be the rooftop pool and bar. I could sit up there all day every day, although I would be tempted to find out what was going on downstairs once in a while.

Room Tip: The Suite we stayed in was street facing - this is the ideal view of Hollywood and the sign. Any oth...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stayed here for four nights on a work trip. I really really liked it. Very stylish and sleep without overdoing it. The staff was excellent - friendly, remembered me, helpful when needed. The room was very clean. Most important is that it was quiet. Obviously there's some luck in that I didn't have noisy people near me as well, but I think the hotel contributes to that significantly. Rooftop pool is awesome. Nothing negative to say...I was on 5th floor facing west. I am guessing if you are on 7th floor and higher on the same side you'd see the Hollywood sign but as it was I was happy for a nice view out and could see the observatory and Hollywood Blvd. Highly recommend and thank them for the nice stay. I love sleeping well when I'm away!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello!

It was a pleasure to have you! We always like to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay when they are with us. Feeling well rested and taken care of is our specialty. Our higher floor rooms do have views of the Hollywood sign, but head up to WET and you can check out the entire skyline with a cocktail.

I hope to see you back soon.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a great West Hollywood hotel for almost anyone who is not seeking quiet and solitude. While the noise would not keep most people from sleeping, it has a high energy level, and it is best appreciated by like similarly minded people. It is easy walking distance to most of the West Hollywood tourist stuff; the LA Metro station is located on the property, and it is an easy few blocks to major freeway connections to get to the beaches or the airport. Like most W Hotels, the lobby is built for socializing. It's well done and has a nice atmosphere. The staff is polished but not stuffy or arrogant. It's an easy and friendly experience to get whatever you need. Rooms are typical W Hotel style - designed for couples but functional for individuals or families. Beds are comfortable as expected. Rates are high but not always off the scale unreasonable, depending upon the time of year. The hotel is designed for adults - not a lot of stuff designed specifically for children - but I wouldn't expect any problems accommodating families. Like most high end hotels in LA, parking is crazy expensive. I booked a room/parking package that brought the cost down. The rooftop pool is a really nice place to socialize or relax. There are lot of seating choices - lounges, tables, individual chairs, and it was not overly crowded when I was there. The pool area did close early during my stay to accommodate a film crew that needed it for a set. The gym is fully equipped with current cardio and weight equipment - a little better than expected. Late check-out and room upgrades as an SPG Elite member were no problem at all. Like many W Hotels, the art and design in the lobby and common areas adds a lot of finishing touches. I did not take time to eat at the hotel, but there are a lot of good places that are nearby and definitely within walking distance. All in all - it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hello,

I couldn't agree more with your review! We are a lively hotel, but always put the needs of our guests first. The functional decor, popular bars, and upbeat atmosphere all make for a great place to stay. On your next visit, allow us to connect you with our Insider Chris. He'd be glad to show you the best places Hollywood has to offer or help you with your daybed reservation at WET.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cheers,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I moved to this hotel after a terrible stay at the Ace downtown. It was a happy night to be at the W with clean rooms and bathrooms. Customer service was excellent and hotel services were solid. This hotel has a pretty awesome rooftop pool that was empty when I was in town which was great.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello,

We are glad we could make your visit to LA better than it was at your previous hotel. Our talent takes great care to ensure every tended. A clean room and relaxing atmosphere is the least we can deliver. I hope we can welcome you back on your next trip.