“You cannot beat the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wilshire Motel

Wilshire Motel
Ranked #136 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Vista, California
“You cannot beat the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I've been staying at this motel two nights a week, for over a year now, so I know it inside out.

Let's start with the less-than-ideal.
This place is not new, but efforts are being made to re-model the rooms.
Depending on the room, the internet can be good or unusable, but again, they will put up a new Wi-Fi in the coming weeks.
Parking is very tight, but I park my car somewhere else so I don't care.

The good part.
It's CHEAP. The CHEAPEST. You cannot beat the price for location. The next cheapest motel would be Best Western at over $160 / night. Almost double.
You're 10 min from the Santa Monica beaches, you are next to UCLA, 3 min to 405, 10 min to 10. It's just the perfect location.
It's also clean. Clean sheets, towels, bathroom. You have your TV, fridge and all the basics you would need.
The staff is excellent. Both Julia and Attila are friendly, honest, responsive and they will make sure you have everything you need. There's also a strong European flavor about them, which I personally enjoy a lot.

So now you know. Manage your expectations, don't expect hotel-like quality (because you're not paying for it), and you'll find great value in this place.

Room Tip: Call in advance, talk to Julia.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Marin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

May not be for everyone but I love this little motel. It's not a Sheraton or Hilton but offers a great location at a great price with old values, including owners who live on property and who you will see a few times every day making sure everything is right for their guests. How many places will reboot their router to ensure you are having the best WiFi experience? Reminds me of places I stayed with my parents 40 years ago...will absolutely be back when coming to LA for business or pleasure.

• Stayed August 2013
Odessa, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This place is one of the least expensive in the vicinity of UCLA... already a plus. It is not a new place, which you can see from the locks on the doors, and the fact that the doors stick a bit. My bed, though still comfortable, was also a bit on the mushy side. (My daughters', however, were much firmer.) It is a very minor point, but parking is also somewhat tight, which means that it can take some maneuverings on the part of several guests to leave. However: the amenities in the room (microwave, TV, internet) were quite modern, the room was *immaculate*, there was a great variety of breakfast offerings, the coffee was great, the buildings were attractive and tidy, and our hostess was as gracious and friendly as can be. Given that the hotel is right on Wilshire, it was also surprisingly quiet. We would definitely stay here again, and can easily recommend this place to others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Great vacation motel for our family of 5..wonderful staff..Julia and Deborah were friendly and helpful..clean..cozy...private..excellent continental breakfast..close to beaches for us..Santa Monica and Venice..and Hollywood.

• Stayed July 2013
La Paz, Bolivia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My two week stay at the Wilshire Motel was much better than I expected. The people are extremely friendly and helpful, everything is clean and it really brings you a lot of comfort being such a cozy place! Breakfast is delicious and I am extremely grateful for the many packages the manager received in my behalf. Overall my stay couldn't have been better, I recommend this to anyone who is looking for the perfect place to stay in LA, nothing extremely fancy but definitely lacks nothing. Thanks for the warm welcome!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed at the wilshire motel for the first time last week and I assure you it wont be the last. I first spotted it my last visit out to L A by walking by and thought this place belongs to a different era. I was right in a good way. The rooms are not grand but the people are. In the early a.m. I saw the maid sweeping the front sidewalk and the curb itself. You can imagine how clean the room was. spotless my whole week. Julia, the manager, was a whirlwind just could not do enough. She voluteered discount coupons for attractions, and when I requested the phone number for a cab she insisted on calling herself. You can pay a whole lot more in west L A and get a whole lot less.

Room Tip: if you have questions call and speak to the owners Very helpful
Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank floyd b
Odense, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed from Friday to Monday and were very satisfied with the place. The manager is an efficient, friendly and helpful person, who did her best to make our visit to LA a succes. Our room was nice and clean and well serviced by the staff. The breakfast was good. The location of the motel is excellent for visiting LA - especially during weekends, when traffic is not so heavy. We highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#23 of 36 in Santa Monica
Royal Palace Westwood
Royal Palace Westwood
#104 of 349 in Los Angeles

Been to Wilshire Motel? Share your experiences!