“Lives up to the Ritz Carlton Customer Service Promise”

The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
Ranked #15 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Check-in to check-out, we were treated royally. They are so accommodating, it's a pleasure to stay there. Our room had a great view of LA Live and we were able to watch some of the X Games from our window.

There's plenty to do in that area, but the location is not convenient to other tourist attractions. Oh well, can't have everything.

Note: we used points for this stay, which is why I'm not sure of the value.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TikkunOlam

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Being it one of the newer properties in the downtown area, The Ritz Carlton at LA Live is a solid choice for anyone look to retreat in comfort. It is levels above the JW Marriott at LA Live (Yes, both Ritz & JW are both Marriott brands) but the JW in the same building feels like it will get dated fast. The Ritz on other the hand transforms the rooms into something that will rival any other downtown properties. Service is top notch, being offered champagne upon arrival and a full personal rundown of the property from the managers at the front desk upon arrival; they want to make you feel like you a being taking care of with primo service. I don't see this as a destination retreat, more of a high class urban shelter for those attending events in the immediate area. It's a little pricey but if you have to choose between JW and the Ritz, the Ritz wins hands down for high end comfort & personal service. They've won me over and I definitely will be back if I'm in the downtown area... Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TheHonestWord
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I'm not a Ritz regular, but for my first experience at the hotel, this was fantastic. Service was excellent, and all the perks the Ritz offers makes the stay even more enjoyable. Our room easily fit 5 people, using two queens and the twin size futon. The rooms were on the larger side, the bathroom pristine. The rooftop pool is this hotel's main attraction, and we spent plenty of time there in the hot tub, salted pool, or cabanas. The fitness room was nice, and everything you need is right there--headphones, warm-scented towels, apples, water bottles, along with plenty of workout equipment. Would love to return someday.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lizegg
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My husband and I decided to take a trip to the Ritz as a mini-staycation for one night on the weekend. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and were greeted promptly and offered an upgrade to access the Club Level Lounge for an extra $70. This included complimentary food and drink on their 23rd floor from 7am-10pm both days we were there, including alcohol, so decided it was worth it. This was definitely the highlight of the stay. The staff was wonderful, basically accommodating of any drink orders. The food was delicious and offered a decent variety for being complimentary. My only complaint is that it is specifically noted that anyone desiring to use cell phones should kindly leave the lounge to take the call, however this was not "enforced" and there were a couple of disruptive cell phone users.

The pool on the 26th floor was nice, clean and had comfortable lounge options. I was surprised that the bar closed around 5pm, though the area was open until 10pm. I didn't feel service was exceptional poolside. My husband asked for a newspaper on Sunday mid-morning and the gentleman never returned with one. After about an hour, a couple behind us left and the server noticed they had left a used newspaper and brought that over to drop off. It isn't a really big deal, but not what I would expect from Ritz service.

My biggest complaint came in ordering breakfast. First of all the room phones had terrible reception and would cut in and out of conversations when trying to place an order. We ordered breakfast at 9:10am as in-room dining. At about 9:40 our phone rang and when I picked up the phone, there was nothing but a dial-tone. They had said food would be delivered within the half-hour so I phoned them at 9:50. The gentleman told me he was going to put me on hold to check the status of our order and hung up on me and never called back. At 10 am I called again and was told that they attempted delivery but our "quiet" sign was out so they couldn't deliver, but tried to call. I told the woman, that clearly I wanted to be bothered if I ordered in-room dining and I think it should be specified upon ordering to be sure to remove your do not disturb sign if this will affect delivery. They then delivered our food around 10:15. We had ordered one pot of decaf and one pot of regular coffee. The pots were exactly alike and there was no indication of which was which. I had to call AGAIN to find out how to tell the difference.
In my mind this was way to much effort to have an enjoyable relaxing breakfast and we should have just gotten dressed and gone to the club room.

The rooms were lovely and the bathrooms were divine. I would probably not choose to stay here again, however, as service has been better at other hotels (especially for what you are paying).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank capowers81
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I read the early reviews of this hotel and hesitated some before booking a club level room at the terrific (less than JW Marriott) American Bar Association rate. Upon arrival, I found that the facilities were excellent, as advertised. The club level lounge was the most visually appealing of any RC that I have booked. My upgraded executive room was very large, and the corner location had spectacular 23rd floor views.

The surprise was that the level of attention to detail, the friendliness, and the availability of staff not only met Ritz Carlton standards, but exceeded them. In fact, I would rate the service level as similar to those of the top Hotels in Asia.

For example, when I asked how to get to LA Live, the front desk person not only walked me to it, but provided free Grammy museum tickets!

On the first night, I ordered a second top sheet, which was not only delivered instantly, but was refreshed nitely.

The lounge staff could not have been more friendly or helpful, and my request for 2pm checkout was honored.

Dinner at WP24was expensive but exceptional.

For those who found the service level initially lacking, I recommend a second chance.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank dsweet
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was a little concerned about a 300 room Ritz-Carlton adjacent to the Staples Center and the JW Marriott, a 1000 room hotel. However the room was one of the nicest Ritz rooms I have visited in my 28 years of staying off and on in Ritz Carlton hotels.

The service was excellent, private Ritz entrance nice, and being adjacent to the Staples Center, LA Live and all the restaurants great.

I definitely would stay here again...much more fun than I thought. I did not like the $40 price tag on the valet parking...I think that is way too much but knew that when I booked the room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Clinton S
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My son and I stayed here while doing college visits in June. It was very clean, we splurged for the club level and it made our life so easy. When we were ready to head out to our next adventure, we stopped by the lounge grabbed a tea,coffee or water bottle and left. When we were on our way back in, grabbed fruit or a snack. They always had nice food presentation and were always pleasant. The hotel was clean/nice/new.The only glitch was a fire alarm early one morning where we climbed down 24 flights of stairs only to find out if was a false alarm. I felt like someone should have yelled in the stairwell that it was false. It wasnt very comfortable walking in the Ritz Lobby in your pajamas. Great location if you have a car. The concierge was eager to plan and help.I think her name was Patrice. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Sheraton Grand Los Angeles
Sheraton Grand Los Angeles
#7 of 358 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Westside
Hotel Bel-Air
Hotel Bel-Air
#2 of 358 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!