“A Home Away From Home”

Ranked #6 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Costa Mesa, California
“A Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My 2-day weekend stay at the Ritz-Carlton LA could not have been better! The attention to detail was exactly what one expects from a 5-star hotel. From the glass of champagne at check-in, I was pampered and treated with the utmost care.

I stayed on Floor #23, which was the Club Floor. The Club Room offers up sumptuous edibles all day, from a breakfast which included eggs and bacon, fruit, and every muffin and bakery item imaginable, to a lite supper which included meats, fish and poultry, as well as sides and salads. And don't pass up the fabulous selection of cookies and meringues on your way out the main Club entrance! Whenever I entered the Club Room, I was personally greeted, sometimes by name. I enjoyed taking most of my meals there, as well as popping in to grab a diet Coke or water, or to use one of the two computers located in an alcove.

My room was not spacious, but the amenities made up for that. It included a 42" flat screen TV, ipod docking station, and other stereo components which I did not use; high-speed internet is offered for a fee. There were the obligatory self-serve mini-bar and refrigerator, as well as complimentary water, and coffee/espresso. The bathrooms were lovely, with walk-in shower, huge tub, and a TV screen built in to the mirror. The king-size bed and linens were exactly what one would expect at this hotel - luxurious, satiny and soooo comfortable. The only thing the room lacked was a larger closet; it accomodated my needs, as I was traveling solo. But it would have been cramped for two people.

I spent Saturday morning at the 2nd floor spa, where I received the same personal greeting and attention to detail. I scheduled a lovely facial from Daniella, and a manicure/pedicure from Lillybeth, who was so funny and gracious. The spa is dressed all in white, with private rooms for each service offered. I left feeling really pampered!

The lay-out of the Ritz-Carlton LA is a little different from most 5-star hotels. To start, it shares a high-rise with the Los Angeles Marriott, which takes up the first 20 or so floors. The hotel portion of the Ritz is on floors (approximately) 22-26, with the Ritz Carlton condominiums in the floors above that. Of course, you use high-speed elevators which take you directly to the Ritz-Carlton rooms from the small lobby. From the lobby you can walk through a corridor to the Marriott, which boasts a HUGE lobby area with an array of restaurants and bars. The entire Ritz/Marriott building is located directly across from Staples Stadium, the LA Convention Center, and the Nokia theatre.

One other nice amenity is that the hotel has a Club Car for use by its patrons, free of charge. It will take you anywhere within a (I think) 5-mile radius of the hotel, first-come first-served.

The resident restaurant for the hotel is WP24 (a Wolfgang Puck offering), which serves Asian-inspired cuisine. Additionally, there are restaurants of every offering and for every budget within walking distance of the hotel. There is also a 14-theater cinema complex directly across the street.

My reason for staying at the Ritz was because I was attending 3 concerts in downtown LA (I'm a musician and Gustavo Dudamel enthusiast!). The Ritz location was perfect for my needs, and the ambiance was just right for a woman traveling solo. I will definitely be going again soon!

Room Tip: Room facing North have a view of the Hollywood Sign and Griffith Observatory.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank margarethouck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Excellent hotel,can't recommend it enough.good service ,comfortable rooms,friendly staff and it's in LA.what else can I say?!?!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Tayfuns
Menomonee falls, WI
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed at the ritz in downtown LA for two nights. The rooms were modern and beautiful, with wonderfully appointed bathrooms. We were on the club lounge floor(32) and took advantage of the lounge, which was well worth the extra cost, wonderful breakfast, and deserts are offered and the staff there is super friendly and helpful. Also unlimited drinks was a nice touch! The valets were helpful with directions and getting our car quickly. The only problem was the spa, I had needed to make an appointment, I called twice never getting a actual human just a voice mail. I left a number to contact me and never heard back, I actually had to contact the front desk to have them track someone down I the spa. I feel like the ritz charges a premium for their service and I felt although the service here was good, it wasn't quite up to other ritz properties I have stayed at. That being said I still would return to this hotel as the good far out weighed any bad.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Twohappygirls
California
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Came for a girl's weekend - a nice hotel, but we didn't really use much of the amenities (of which there are few - no lobby at all, but it is attached to the Marriott and LA Live). Did walk up to the pool, which is beautiful, but it was a drizzly day so we didn't get to enjoy it. The rooms are pleasant and spacious, beds are comfy, and i love the TV in the bathroom mirror!

The best part of the ritz experience is the service. The bellman went out of his way to walk us around, and we were always greeted by name. And they did mess up with a birthday cake order but more than made up for it by sending up complimentary champagne, cookies, and cheesecake at 2 in the morning after our night out.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This place is too fabulous for words. Everything goes smoothly, unobtrusively.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Palm Desert
Reviewed 28 October 2011

From the reception staff - where they greet you with a glass of Champagne - to housekeeping all the staff are friendly & helpful without being obsequious. They must have an amazing staff training program! The rooms are new & comfortable & the beds so great that my daughter wants one for home.
We got a complimentary upgrade to club level where the views & food are great and the complimentary car service to within a 3 mile radius of the hotel is convenient - be aware however that it ends at 8pm so you have to find your own way back.
Being located at LA Live is fun too , and check out the Music Museum around the corner.
If you need to be in downtown LA this is the hotel to stay in!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our first stay at a Ritz-Carlton was impressive. Upon arriveal no less than 3 people opened our doors, took our luggage, escorted us into the lobby, etc. The receptionist knew it was my wife's birthday and inisted on walking over to her and holding a personal conversation with her. Check-in was easy and fast. The elevators are private (room key access only). The room wasn't much larger than an oversized regular Marriott room but there were impressive upgrades, from the furniture to the bed, to the TV in the bathroom mirror (yes,in the mirror), also a roomy high-end shower. Everything was a cut above. The lounge/bar on the 24th floor had excellent appetizers, mixed-drinks and a world-class view of downtown LA. No complaints whatsoever. Highly-recommended for a weekend getaway, with tons of good restaurants nearby at LA Live.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Luxe City Center Hotel
Luxe City Center Hotel
#41 of 351 in Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!