“Not Worthy of Ritz Carlton”

The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
Ranked #22 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Not Worthy of Ritz Carlton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

In the last month I have stayed several times at the Ritz Carlton Los Angeles. With the exception of the club floor conciereges the hotel is not up to Ritz Carlton standards. The staff is not polished, cohesive or detail oriented and I would rate this hotel on par with a Marriott at best (probably not even a JW). Cold and uninterested in the guest is probably the best way to sum up two visits. Again, the Club Lounge was the exception.

Rooms are "ok". Beds extremely comfortable and terriric. A lot of design glitches, particularly in bathroom. For example, although the "wet room" is a great concept, the shower cannot be turned on without being covered from cold water from the rain shower head above while waiting for hot water (which is just luke warm at best). Also, the bathroom sinks will splash your clothing even when turned on low.

We had 2 rooms under 2 separate names booked. When our friends arrived at the hotel they walked into our room with the bellman and were actually assigned to our room even though we had already checked in and advised we were waiting for our friends! They were told my wife and I had not checked in when we had 1/2 hour prior with the same desk clerk and advised we were waiting for people. Not the end of the world, but just one example of lack of attention to simple details where this pseudo Ritz Carlton misses the mark.

I would stay at this hotel again due to convenience to downtown venues and it is the best hotel in the area. However, I would advise management to polish the game quite a bit to be worthy of being part of the Ritz Carlton family and meeting the expectation and mark that Ritz Carlton guests have come to expcect. The hotel is gorgeous. The staff is the failure.

Room Tip: Corner room facing North/West.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luxuryhotelcritic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
cali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We got an executive suite on the club floor and this place was perfect,huge room. right in the heart of all the action. Service outstanding, food outstanding. We will be back, the view of the city is really nice at this place

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stregis_11
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I enjoyed my 2-day "stay-cation" as I only live about 18 miles from downtown LA, but in LA, 18 miles is often an 1-1/2 hour drive so I haven't done as much downtown as one would think living this close to LA! This is a very classy hotel, nice large rooms and a fantastic spa. I had the deep tissue massage and Jeana did a very thorough job. The "sanctuary" and facilities in the spa were very appealing. The tea, ML, is extraordinary. I know that sounds silly, but it's true!

There was an Herbal Life convention, so the hotel was full and the lobbies abounded with people from around the world. The pool deck offers a gorgeous view of the city. It's on the 25th floor. The Wolfgang Puck lounge is on the 24th floor. The location is right next to the Staples Center and across the street there's a Regal movie theater. We went to a play on the other end of town, but this Ritz has a town car that will drop you off or pick you up around the city from 8-11 a.m. and 5-8 p.m. We took a taxi back after the play.

You can walk out the Ritz door and into a plaza with lots of restaurants. You can walk a few blocks to other restaurants. To get to "China Town" and "Little Tokyo" you can take a bus, taxi. Roy's Hawaian Restaurant is only aproximately 4 blocks away, maybe it's 5.

Funny, but I noticed the same thing about the bathroom sink someone else mentioned in a review. The bathroom is beautiful -- but water does fly out of the sink so watch your clothes. As for the person who reviewed and was irritated that his room wasn't ready at 10 a.m., doesn't everyone know that a normal check-in time for a hotel is 3:00 p.m. in the U.S.? So personally, I think that guy is arrogant for expecting that. We actually did get an early check in, but around 2:00 p.m.

We spend one afternoon at the pool and ordered the food on the phone. We were surprised the food was very good and they had nice healthy choices. We enjoyed our stay at the Ritz.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R0ckettWriter
Portland OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Great location for activities/events at the Staple Center.

The lobby area is a bit lacking in space however; and getting to the roof top deck is an 'elevator adventure'. The spa is lovely, and the service is at the Ritz Carlton level of exceptional.

The bathroom sink is not ideal - there is a lot of water splashing from the way it's set-up.

Room Tip: Avoid the floor with Wolfgang Pucks restaurant, it requires an additional set of doors to get to you...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Upon entering the hotel to check-in, you will notice that the lobby is almost nonexistent. There are two chairs, a concierge desk and the two person check-in desk. There was no champagne or pampered atmosphere as stated in other reviews. I was greeted by a front desk person who explained that my room was not ready, which I understood, as I was there at 10:00 am, however he was not at all accommodating. He asked for my method of payment, even though he was not checking me in (strange), and seemed inconvenienced when I asked to have my bags checked. I asked at that time if it was possible to get a pass to the concierge lounge, he corrected me by saying "We don't have a concierge lounge at the Ritz - we do however have a Club Room which you can be upgraded to when you check in". I found this to be very condescending and arrogant. It may be that I was dressed in workout gear as I was in town for a Fitness Convention, and that may have not fit in with the "LA Ritz" requirements. I often stay at 5-star hotels, and have never been treated so poorly. At that time, I asked that they call me when a room was available and left my phone number. He stated that they would put a rush on the room for me, which made me feel a little better.

After checking my bags, I realized that I left my convention badge in my backpack, so I want back 5 minutes later and asked if they could grab my backpack so that I could get my badge out. The front desk person informed me that I would have to wait for the bellman to come up to the front to get it. When he checked my bag, the bellman did not check it, the front desk person did, and I assisted him with bringing it to the room directly behind the desk. There was no one in the lobby, so I asked if he could just grab my one small backpack, and he begrudgingly completed the task, which took less than 30-seconds. I thanked him and remedied him to let me know as soon as a room was available.

I waited for a call to confirm my room was ready for 5 hours, and never received a call. So much for rushing the room for me. Either way, when I checked in, I was greeted by a more pleasant front desk person, who apologized for not calling me when my room was ready and proceeded to check me in. Again, he asked for my method of payment, and I informed him that I had already provided it. He apologized and said that it was not put into the system and that he had to take it again, making me wonder why the first person needed it. Check in went well (still no champagne), and I went to my room.

The room was very well appointed, modern and clean. It was a fantastic room overlooking the swimming pool. This is what I was expecting from the Ritz! I have no complaints about the room at all. The walk-in shower, the amazingly comfortable bed, etc. all were up to 5-start standards!

My group of 7 had dinner that night at Wolfgang Puck's 24, in the Hotel, which was amazing. The food was delicious, the service was impeccable and the view was beautiful. We secured a very private table, and enjoyed an amazing dinning experience.

Upon getting ready to check-out, I called down to ask if transport was available to the hotel, and informed them that I needed a car for 6. They said no problem, just come down to the concierge and she will take care of it. When I came down, the concierge told me that it would be 45 minutes to get a limo. I told her that I would just call the Limo that I took in from the Airport as it was only $110 and they said they could pick me up with less than 30-minutes notice. She then told me that they had an Escalade available immediately and that it could easily take 6. I wound up waiting for 20 minutes for the Escalade, which did work fine for our group. When the driver dropped me off at the airport, I gave him my card to charge the ride on, and he stated that it was billed to my room. I asked if he knew what the rate was and he stated that he did not. To my surprise, I found that they charged my room $190 for the ride. $80 more than the limo I was going to get. I have no problem paying the expected amount for service, but I felt that this was very deceptive and the price should have been stated in advance, especially when I told her the rate we paid coming in.

I feel that this Ritz is pretentious, and the service is not up to the standards set by the Ritz or other 5-star hotels.

Room Tip: Stay at the JW Marriott which is attached to the hotel, has a much more vibrant lobby, and has a muc...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Great hotel, good location next to staples centre, Good rooms, Cant fault it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

One wonders: this hotel property is so connected with the GW Marriott, and with the GW Marriott being the Marriott name's top-of-the-line, why not just stay at the GW Marriott and pocket the difference? If you only travel with tall dogs, and it is important to you to run with the glitterati, then being at the Ritz Carlton Los Angeles will do it for you. Typically efficient, the front desk people are helpful and wonderful. The location of this property is spectacular. Very clean. The exercise room is also top-rate, and check out the pool on the roof top. Amazing. I would go back there any time.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room, as some of them can be noisy. If you order breakfast in-room, know...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family