“Wonderful”

Ranked #22 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Mexico city
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The property its plenty of luxury, and the personal it's very kindly. My room was spectacular in 22th floor whith beatiful LA views. The Restaurant from Wolgang Puck was delicious with excellent menu and views. All the staff is very attentive and take care of you in all time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
SoCal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I've stayed at numerous Ritz-Carltons in the past (NYC, SF, Marina del Rey) and always considered them just a sliver downscale from Four Seasons. Based on this hotel, however, I would have to say that Ritz-Carlton has dropped, not one but several notches down that scale.

I give it three stars because "poor" is an unfair rating. The hotel is new- just two years old, I was told - and very clean. They're marketing it as a "boutique" hotel, which to me is another way of saying they charge luxury rates for a cosmetically souped-up Hilton Garden Inn. I had reserved a Deluxe King room with my Platinum Amex, which guarantees an upgrade if available. No upgrade was offered at check-in so I asked and was immediately offered an Executive King room, but it seemed like an oversight that they didn't offer it automatically.

The room required an elevator transfer, which underscored the somewhat wonky layout of this hotel. When I walked in the door to my room, I was truly (and not happily) surprised. The first thing I saw was a hideously cheap-looking light fixture:a prison-cell bulb suspended in a metal cylinder so rickity that it rattles continuously back and forth from the draft created by room's circulating air fan. The "drapes" are cafe rod curtains so flimsy that no matter how hard you try they cannot be drawn completely closed. They've basically used a minimalist Asian-inspired design motif as an excuse to cut every imaginable corner.

I usually call Housekeeping to request turndown before I leave my hotel room for dinner, just to be sure the job gets done. There was no Housekeeping phone extension provided,so I just hoped for the best. Bad plan; no turndown service occurred. Is it possible that it's not even offered here?

Trying to be fair, so a few redeeming features: the bathroom was ample and nicely designed. Soaking tub and walk-in shower share a nicely-designed enclosed space. Very nice and well-designed make-up mirror, and yes, to some of us, that matters. Complimentary Internet, which tells me they are trying to be relevant. And each staff member I encountered was truly genial and eager to please. They try, and almost succeed, to make up in service what this facility lacks in other areas.

I was awakened at 6 am by a blaring alarm clock apparently set by some previous guest which was kind of a final straw/camel'sbackbreaker. This property shares a building with the Marriott and something tells me that I would find a better value there if I were to return. Ritz-Carlton should take this property off their list before patrons like myself take them off ours...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank goingoinggone
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The property is absolutely beautiful but what is most impressive is the service amazing ,if you need pampering and to be taken care of then this is the place.
Great food, excellent menu , lovely gift shop, I am in love
Excellent for R&R , business, couples, familly and with the advent of proximity to LAX this my friends is a diamond.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank zoe727
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

In the last month I have stayed several times at the Ritz Carlton Los Angeles. With the exception of the club floor conciereges the hotel is not up to Ritz Carlton standards. The staff is not polished, cohesive or detail oriented and I would rate this hotel on par with a Marriott at best (probably not even a JW). Cold and uninterested in the guest is probably the best way to sum up two visits. Again, the Club Lounge was the exception.

Rooms are "ok". Beds extremely comfortable and terriric. A lot of design glitches, particularly in bathroom. For example, although the "wet room" is a great concept, the shower cannot be turned on without being covered from cold water from the rain shower head above while waiting for hot water (which is just luke warm at best). Also, the bathroom sinks will splash your clothing even when turned on low.

We had 2 rooms under 2 separate names booked. When our friends arrived at the hotel they walked into our room with the bellman and were actually assigned to our room even though we had already checked in and advised we were waiting for our friends! They were told my wife and I had not checked in when we had 1/2 hour prior with the same desk clerk and advised we were waiting for people. Not the end of the world, but just one example of lack of attention to simple details where this pseudo Ritz Carlton misses the mark.

I would stay at this hotel again due to convenience to downtown venues and it is the best hotel in the area. However, I would advise management to polish the game quite a bit to be worthy of being part of the Ritz Carlton family and meeting the expectation and mark that Ritz Carlton guests have come to expcect. The hotel is gorgeous. The staff is the failure.

Room Tip: Corner room facing North/West.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luxuryhotelcritic
cali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We got an executive suite on the club floor and this place was perfect,huge room. right in the heart of all the action. Service outstanding, food outstanding. We will be back, the view of the city is really nice at this place

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stregis_11
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I enjoyed my 2-day "stay-cation" as I only live about 18 miles from downtown LA, but in LA, 18 miles is often an 1-1/2 hour drive so I haven't done as much downtown as one would think living this close to LA! This is a very classy hotel, nice large rooms and a fantastic spa. I had the deep tissue massage and Jeana did a very thorough job. The "sanctuary" and facilities in the spa were very appealing. The tea, ML, is extraordinary. I know that sounds silly, but it's true!

There was an Herbal Life convention, so the hotel was full and the lobbies abounded with people from around the world. The pool deck offers a gorgeous view of the city. It's on the 25th floor. The Wolfgang Puck lounge is on the 24th floor. The location is right next to the Staples Center and across the street there's a Regal movie theater. We went to a play on the other end of town, but this Ritz has a town car that will drop you off or pick you up around the city from 8-11 a.m. and 5-8 p.m. We took a taxi back after the play.

You can walk out the Ritz door and into a plaza with lots of restaurants. You can walk a few blocks to other restaurants. To get to "China Town" and "Little Tokyo" you can take a bus, taxi. Roy's Hawaian Restaurant is only aproximately 4 blocks away, maybe it's 5.

Funny, but I noticed the same thing about the bathroom sink someone else mentioned in a review. The bathroom is beautiful -- but water does fly out of the sink so watch your clothes. As for the person who reviewed and was irritated that his room wasn't ready at 10 a.m., doesn't everyone know that a normal check-in time for a hotel is 3:00 p.m. in the U.S.? So personally, I think that guy is arrogant for expecting that. We actually did get an early check in, but around 2:00 p.m.

We spend one afternoon at the pool and ordered the food on the phone. We were surprised the food was very good and they had nice healthy choices. We enjoyed our stay at the Ritz.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R0ckettWriter
Portland OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Great location for activities/events at the Staple Center.

The lobby area is a bit lacking in space however; and getting to the roof top deck is an 'elevator adventure'. The spa is lovely, and the service is at the Ritz Carlton level of exceptional.

The bathroom sink is not ideal - there is a lot of water splashing from the way it's set-up.

Room Tip: Avoid the floor with Wolfgang Pucks restaurant, it requires an additional set of doors to get to you...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends