The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
US$334
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$245
US$239
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
US$398
  • Breakfast included
US$335
US$309
  • Pool
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$297
  • Beachfront
US$592
US$452
  • Pool
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$695
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$469
US$411
  • Beachfront
All reviewsthe club loungestaples centerrooftop poolla live complexbathroom mirrordowntown lawolfgang pucksmall lobbyoutstanding hotelroom servicelakers gameturn down servicefitness centerhousekeeping staffbusiness hotelvalet servicehollywood sign
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Ritz Carlton says it all right there. They are known for being the best of the best. I had never stayed at one before. It was right in the thick of things for LA Live. Which is basically why they got a 3 out of 5 for me. Had they not been, I would not have given them that good of a rating. This is the first time that I spent close to $600 a night for a room.

I was expecting more for that kind of money. It was actually $549 a night but then they nail you for parking $38 a day. Then Wifi another $12 a day. They offered some club thing that I did not partake in that was $70 a day.

We used their parking, great job. Quick with the car. We check in. Nice job. We get to the elevator and can't get to our room. She forgot to make our door cards capable of working with the elevator and doors to our room. You need a valid door card to get to your floor.

We get to our room and had to wait for our luggage. Probably about 15 minutes. We needed them to make a few changes. The lights in the room are confusing as hell. There are lights all over the place but the switches do not seem to work with the logical light. You hit one switch by a lamp and it turns on the light in other end of the room. You hit the switch on the other end and it lights the light up by the door.

The guy who brought up the luggage was awesome, very helpful. He directed us to the ESPN Zone. Helped with bags very nice.

They only have 1 restaurant in the hotel and it was closed to a party. Pool was very nice with a cool view. LA LIVE was very cool. If you are going to an event down there, this place would be a great fit.

Only reason I have a problem with the place is the price. Honestly I have stayed at just as nice and same quality of customer service for half the price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

First, there are many positives about the Ritz. It is located directly next door to LA Live, making it very convenient to the Staples Center as well as all of the other shops and amenities in the vicinity.

Check-in was very quick and I was given exactly the room I requested. The rooms themselves are modern, large, and generally well appointed. The bathroom is huge, with a unique shower/tub arrangement -- they are separate but right next to each other. The rooms overlook LA LIve and, because they are all on high floors, the views are quite good. The bed was very comfortable. Rooms have a mini-bar, although I was never able to locate a price list.

Now, for the negatives. I was traveling on business, so the first thing I wanted to do was plug in my computer at the desk. However, there was no electrical outlet to be found anywhere near the desk. The closest one was more 10' away next to the coffee maker. (There as also no desk lamp and no phone at the desk.) The only other plugs I found in the room were: one right inside the main door and four in the bathroom. When I called the front desk to ask if I simply wasn't seeing the outlet (if it was perhaps located behind a panel, etc.), I was told that no one had ever made this complaint before. I later learned that there were no other accessible outlets in the room.

I had some internet connectivity issues. They did offer to send someone to my room but it was late and, ultimately, I told them not to bother given the lateness of the hour. I did look for the ethernet cable (which the guest directory said was available) on the theory that a wired connection might be more "stable." Not only did I never find the cable but, if I had, there was no place in the room in which to plug it.

The elevator situation was also a bit annoying. Although the hotel is very tall, most of the floors are filled with condos/apartments. The hotel itself is limited to floors in the lower 20s. However, in order to access your room, you must change elevators on the 22nd (or maybe 21st) floor. I was told by the bellman that the reason for this was so that someone could rent out an entire floor. OK, but there must be a better way to accomplish this than by inconveniencing every other hotel guest -- for example, simply lock out the floor to anyone who doesn't have the proper key. Thus, unsure if the reason I was given was wrong but it was inconvenient to have to use two elevators every time I wanted to enter or exit the hotel.

As others have said, the lobby is extremely small and is not a place to congregate. The lounge/bar is on the 24th floor. The lounge (black walls, low lights) is dark with very loud music. It obviously appeals to some but I would not say it is a place to relax. The only restaurant is a Wolfgang Puck Asian-style that I didn't try. However, the hotel is steps from many great restaurants so this isn't an issue. I did ask to take a glass of wine to my room; I was told they would have to give me a plastic cup! This is the very first hotel in which this has ever happened.

I must add that I did voice my complaints to hotel management, which was very prompt and dutiful in following up with me, providing a measure of "compensation," and doing their best to address retroactively problems which really couldn't be resolved during my visit.

Overall, I would recommend the Ritz if you have a downtown even and want a luxurious place to stay or for a romantic getaway WE. If you need to stay at LA Live for business, don't stay here until they upgrade the rooms to be ready for business travelers. The Marriott next door is not as luxurious, is more of a "commodity," and caters to conventions, but definitely is more geared to the business traveler.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank MisstheDogs
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I really love the Ritz Carlton and was very excited about staying at the Ritz LA. It was surprisingly disappointing. The rooms were nice (but not that much nicer than your average new hotel). But, the reason that I love going to the Ritz isn't their rooms; it's the phenomenal service that you typically get. Unfortunately, we ended up getting bad service. At our favorite Ritz Carltons, the staff (particularly at the Club Level) are incredibly warm and friendly and go out of their way to make you feel special. Even at the average Ritz, the staff are always very professional and take their jobs seriously. But, here, most of the staff weren't friendly or accessible and actually made me feel unwelcome at times. It got so bad that I didn't want to go to the Club level after awhile (and I usually love the Club level). Not sure what's happening with their staffing. A bunch of times, I tried calling the main number and no one would even pick up the phone - not even a voicemail message. Again, very weird. On my last night, the Club manager stopped by the table where I was sitting and asked how things were going. I mentioned that I was disappointed compared with stays at other Ritz Carltons. She seemed really nice and took down my information, promising to email me right away (I gave her my contact information, at her request, because she seemed genuinely interested and concerned). Then, she never emailed - again, really strange. Seems like the hotel may be going through some serious growing pains. Such a shame. I really do love the Ritz . But for the first time ever, the staff at a Ritz made my stay kind of unpleasant, and it's hard justifying paying these rates at a hotel where you feel unwelcome.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SFTravellers415
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Stayed at the new Ritz Carlton LA for a weekend with my six year old son. The room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was fantastic. The rain shower and bath tub were both behind one glass door, and the bathroom TV was cleverly embedded in the vanity mirror...both features very cool. Pool was fairly warm and located on a rooftop, so the view was beautiful and nearly 360 degrees. Room service food was yummy. Service is what you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton, and everyone made my son feel welcome. I've stayed at many LA hotels, i think this one is my new favorite.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We have been very psyched about staying at the Ritz Carlton in Los Angeles at LA Live because of all the hype surrounding the area. The building is a very fascinating new addition to the Downtown LA skyline. Overall, we were not disappointed. The Ritz is chic and substantial. It made for a memorable stay and a welcome break. The views are awesome. Location is an urban oasis (albeit almost too new and sterile), very unique for Los Angeles. The pool area is delightful. Definitely a great choice to celebrate a special occasion (in our case, it's our wedding anniversary).

Now to the quirks/observations.

We realize after we checked-in that the place is still under "soft" opening. The real opening is May 17, 2010. Didn't make much difference to us, since we get all the great services & amenities with very few others around.

The valet parking fee at the Ritz with in/out privileges is $50 per day. Yikes. It is posted on a sign at the entry and I saw groups of people reading the sign and gawking. Every time we came back the valet will greet us by name as they open the car door.

We were persuaded to upgrade to "Club Lounge" privileges for $70 per day. It turned out to be the best decision of our stay as the Lounge is not crowded, and had non-stop delicious snacks (rotating daily between morning breakfast, noon light lunch, afternoon hors d'oeuvres, and evening desserts with all the drinks, cheeses, candies, etc. you can eat/drink). The ambience is very relaxed and casual. The staff are attentive and professional. They couldn't wait to customize drinks for us (I loved my decaf soy capuccino... never had it before!). The lox during breakfast is very good quality. Being locals, we were not eager to leave the hotel to see any sights, and between our room, the Lounge, and the pool/fitness center, we were well entertained and nourished. The fitness center is not extremely large, but is nicely equipped and clean.

The lobby seems about 1/100 the size of the adjacent JW Marriott lobby (I guess the PC way to call it is "intimate").

The room is tastefully chic, as urban "loft" hotels should be. Lots of carefully placed items designed to delight the senses. Colors and materials are pleasing. Our room is spaciously laid out at 450 sq ft. Since the room is thermally sealed (obviously the windows are not operable), even with the thermostat set at 70 degrees F, we ended up slow-roasting under the fancy comforter at night. During the semi-consciousness of sleep, we didn't think to look into the closet and bring out the THIN blanket until after 6 am. I think the mattress was a bit flat (not flexible), but the husband didn't seem to mind.

The Ritz Carlton hotel is on the 22nd floor to the 26th. Meaning if you look at the building from the outside, the hotel is still part of the "shorter section". The floor plan of the entire hotel is a "T", same as the JW Marriott below. The north/south tall part of the building that sticks out into the sky is NOT the Ritz hotel, it is all part of the Ritz Carlton Residences/condos.

In case you didn't know the Ritz is owned by the Marriott chain. Meaning the Book of Mormons is laying side by side with the Holy Bible in the night stand drawer, and that there is absolutely no adult programming available in the entertainment system. I find that rather quaint and charming. Gives the place some subtle character.

The shower has low water pressure, but for once it didn't matter because it is a convincing rain shower that can be diverted to a movable shower head. The only thing that I thought could be improved is that the wood sliding door to the bathroom sticks out too much when it is opened. I keep feeling like I will bump into the giant metal door handles, especially since the room is full of mirrors and glass.

All in all the Ritz at LA Live is a welcomed new addition to downtown Los Angeles. I look forward to read everyone's reviews after your stay there.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple