“One of the most engrossing museums ever”

Autry Museum of the American West
Ranked #25 of 590 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore art, history, and culture at the Autry Museum of the American West. Located in beautiful Griffith Park, the Autry presents a wide range of exhibitions and public programs-including lectures, film, theater, festivals, family events, and music-and performs scholarship, research, and educational outreach. The Autry's collection of more than 500,000 pieces of art and artifacts includes the Southwest Museum of the American Indian Collection, one of the largest and most significant collections of Native American materials in the United States.
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was mildly interested in seeing this, and the positive reviews on TA convinced us to go. This rates as a top 5 museum on my list, and having been all over the world, you can trust me. Plan on 2 hours minimum, but there is enough to keep you here longer, then you can visit the LA zoo, next door, or drive around to Griffith Observatory.
This museum is filled with engrossing exhibits such as western tv and movie memorabilia, pioneers, cowboys, bandits, saloons, pony express riders, and so on. They offer gold panning in the garden, and a see-yourself-in-cowboy-movie experience, and kids over the age of about 6 or so should find plenty of interesting things to look at if they know anything at all about the Wild West. There is also an interesting temporary exhibit on Jewish people in LA which we found really engaging. There is plenty of beautiful western art too. This excellent museum should appeal to almost everyone, even if you think you aren't that interested in the Wild West. I am from LA and am ashamed to say that I have never visited until now, which is my loss. Not to be missed while you are in So Cal. Note that there are several days a month with free admission, so check.

1  Thank lindagaf
Maren D, Director of Communications and Marketing at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Linda,
Thank you so much for the incredible review! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

If you tell family and friends about your visit, you can let them know that we have special exhibitions opening this year about Native North American beadwork (opening in March) and Route 66 (opening in June).

Thanks again,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I never liked those cowboys movies on Saturday afternoon, so I wasn't thrilled when a family member insisted that we should visit this museum. Boy, was I ever wrong! While it does have the obligatory room with old film star memorabilia (and current ones too) it has tremendous appeal for the historian, the art lover (a special exhibit included an Andy Warhol on loan), and the parent with little children who can appear in simulated movies, play with typical antique toys, and pan for gold. It was a morning well-spent. The food in the cafe was good too!

1  Thank flasuz

flasuz:
Thank you for the nice review! I'm glad your family enjoyed the visit to the museum and our new cafe, Crossroads West.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Each time I visit the Autry, I wonder what took me so long to return. My friends encouraged me to join them to specifically see the exhibition "Jews in the Los Angeles Mosaic" before it closes on 1/5. It was a well thought out show & I'm glad I saw it. One should keep mind of this smaller museum. They have staged some wonderful temporary exhibits over the years. They also have some great "cowboy & Indian" Western exhibits...great for kids. The museum is not too big and you can see quite a bit even if you visit for...1 or 2 hours. Adult admission is $10. They even provide AAA discounts of 10%. A few days of the year admission is free...as was the case today 1/1. Lots of free parking is next to the museum. Have more time? The zoo is across the street. Even strolling in Griffith Park which surrounds the museum is time well spent on a nice day.

1  Thank Nancy D

OBD2142:
Thanks for the great review! Hope you can visit us again later this year for our new special exhibitions about Native North American beadwork (opening in March) and Route 66 (opening in June).

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The western art collection was small but impressive. The firearm collection, especially the Colt collection was very extensive and well worth your time.

copperking:
Thanks for visiting and taking the time to review the Autry!

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The Autry National Center is one of the most wonderful museum ever. I learned a lot of about Jewish people in Los Angeles County as well as the history of Western Cowboys. There is a also a good museum store there, and they have various kinds of interesting stuff. I got a nice music CD from the store.

1  Thank 574_2013
Maren D, Director of Communications and Marketing at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thank you for your review! We're so glad you made the Autry part of your trip to Los Angeles.