“Please read. Management at this Hotel puts the customer first. Will return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Normandie

Hotel Normandie
Ranked #20 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Fresno, California
“Please read. Management at this Hotel puts the customer first. Will return.”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is just a block or so off Wilshire, and a few blocks from the Wiltern Theater, which hosts the Musician's Institute graduations and some pretty good bands (I care because my daughter graduated from MI). My family stayed here in rooms 432 and 433 January 24-26, 2014. We stayed here because we found a special on the rooms as the hotel was being remodeled. The hotel reminded me of hotels I have been in in Paris or Berlin. It was older, just as almost all downtown Eurpoean hotels are older. I really liked the interior for this reason. Except that it lacked a restaurant or bar, it reminded me of the Durant in Berkeley, which I really like. I would recommend staying as high up as you can, as the street noise may be a bit loud.

In any event while we stayed there, we had the misfortune of having a tire cut on our vehicle. A while back I wrote an unfavorable review of the management of this hotel based on that event. I have removed that review for good reason. I have been stunned by the seriousness with which the new management of this hotel took my concerns. Candidly, my concerns were addressed pretty much as soon as the new manager heard about them. Without going in to details which I do not think should concern the trip advisor readers, I will say that the new manager, Eric, addressed each of my concerns, resolved them to my wife's and my satisfaction, and even did more than that, which was completely unnecessary but greatly appreciated by us. Our daughter lives in LA, which gives us reasons to be in LA. This may not be the closest hotel to where she lives, but given the exceptional way this hotel dealt with us, it is worth our while to drive a few extra miles to the Normandie and to stay there. Do stay here. We certainly will.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mpksdad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Normandie. It is placed in KTown, close to LACC and LA Live (£5 Uber drive) and right next to mid-Wiltshire with some restaurants and bars (the POT Bar almost next door!). Not far from West Hol either so it is a good place to explore LA, the metro station is 4 mts down the road. The hotel is nice and clean, the rooms big though could do with some upgrading. No breakfast served as of yet (refurbishment) but the building itself is great so once it is all finished it will be a force to reckon with! The service.. Great door guys but mixed feelings over the reception staff.. Attitude anyone? Still, recommended

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HooyooMooyoo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here on a weekend getaway and I was quite pleased with the old school feel this place had. The place was beautiful when you walk in thru the front doors, I love the huge fireplace and also the bookshelves. Got to our room and it was very clean and beautiful decor but it was a little on the small side. The bed was very comfortable and I love the old school shower and sink in the bathroom. The only problems I had with the place were HAVING to bascially use the $29 a day valet to park your car and also we had a room that faced the Korean shopping center and that street is a very busy and loud one so you heard the traffic throughout the night. I would definetly stay here again it was central and no more then 10 miles from any place we wanted to go so it worked out perfect for getting around to all the touristy things.

Room Tip: Try getting a room that doesnt face the busy street or Korean Market
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I spent a couple of nights in this hotel due to business reasons. What I liked most was the French look the hotel has; it makes you feel like being in Paris! The room was really clean, the space is OK and the bathroom has enough facilities to spend a couple of nights. I felt really confortable here, as the hotel has a good size TV, WiFi connection, valet parking, etc... The only problem with the hotel is that there's no food at all. No breakfast, no restaurant... In any case, my stay was perfect!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Unai C
Eric N, Manager at Hotel Normandie, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
A perfect stay is JUST what we LOVE to hear from our guests. Thank you so much! Cassell's Hamburgers will be opening very very soon at the hotel for breakfast, lunch, dinner and room service. Soon after that will be another restaurant, a craft cocktail lounge and a lobby bar, so keep your eyes peeled to social media for these announcements and come back soon!

Sincerely:

Hotel Normandie Team
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Loved every bit of our stay here. Everyone was very nice and extremely helpful. Felt so welcome, like I was at my best friend's house. The rooms were wonderfully comfy and inviting. Loved the decor. Beautifully restored. Only downside was the windows are very thin that I could here all the outside noise with them closed, but still would definitely stay again regardless.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for a night over the weekend while in town to see a show at the Wiltern (location was excellent for this, we were able to walk to and from the theater with no problems). Really enjoyed the old school charm of the hotel...the old wooden doors, tile bathrooms, etc. were really cool. We had a corner room that was small, and our view was nothing to speak of, but I still really liked the room. It was tastefully appointed, clean, and the bed was large and really comfortable. The lobby was beautiful and I'm sure when the restaurant/bar renovations are finished this will be a fun place to hang out.

My only advice for the hotel is to watch their pricing...it's still a steal for pricy LA, but with mandatory valet if you have a car, if they raise their prices too much after the reno is complete this may loose its hip hidden gem aspect (remember the hotel is still old and the rooms are still on the small side...again, not a problem for someone like me who loves that kind of stuff, but if I'm paying a ton for a room I tend to want more modern luxuries). I say keep it a fun, hip, mid-range hotel and travelers like myself will keep coming back...and tell our friends...

Room Tip: FYI: no ice machines on the floors. Have to call down to the front desk and they will bring some up...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I were planning a day trip to Los Angeles. We saw an offer online for Hotel Normandie so we decided to make it a two day trip. Once we arrived at Hotel Normandie we realized we made the perfect choice. The room was small but comfy. We slept quite well in that king bed. Nicely decorated and uses space very well. TV channels were limited. Water pressure was fantastic. The staff was wonderful, fast and very considerate. The hotel provides 2 complimentary bottles of water and Starbucks coffee in your room. Very quite. Our room had a great view of a brick wall. LOL But that was OK we were there to get a good night's sleep and that mission was accomplished. They make you sign a no parties agreement and I really appreciated that. Oh yeah free Wi-Fi. We will certainly stay at Hotel Normandie again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple