“Marilyn Monroe and Humphrey Bogart Yes”

Hollywood Historic Hotel
Ranked #109 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
el granada
“Marilyn Monroe and Humphrey Bogart Yes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

This hotel is one of the most fun I have stayed in and a great value in the area. Although its kind of out of the way it is really fun, and I loved all the old photos of stars on the walls the jogged my memory. The rooms are great and we had one with a kitchen for $99 it was an excellent bargin. I had no issues with any bed bugs at all and they love me, the place was clean with good security and a nice cafe is right next to it with great lattes. Don't expect a bar or even the elevator working but that is the charm of this place. The only unfortunate thing is its next to the conservative area of Larchmount where you won't even find a bar on the the main drag, its like a mini orange county in LA. Overall if you want a bargin that is clean and has a great shower this is the place but be ready to walk or drive if you want a good dinner. The building is an old LA apartment building built around 1920's or a little later and the rooms are large and quaint. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side of the building away from Melrose avenue, much quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pauditore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Turkish first
Surprise
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Do not stay in this place!!!!! It is infested with bed bugs I woke up with over 100 bites on me that some swelled to the size of a baseball all over my face swollen eye shut told and showed the front desk and they did not care had to spend $130 a night for this! Manager has been called and left 6 messages and refuses to return phone call I went to dr because the pain was so bad, they were severely infected and I had a severe allergic reaction to the bites, not only can I not go out in public because of all the bites and open sores I am off work also for god know how long because of them I have lost so much money for staying at this pathetic place they call a hotel I have contacted a lawyer since they have obviously knew about this problem and have chose to do nothing about it, It is not worth the headache that you will encounter they do not disclose when you book the place also that there is not ice machine no elevator if you need anything you need to walk down to the liquor store 3 blocks away because the hotel doesn't provide even cups for the coffee pot that doesn't work towels are GROSS! There is nothing good about this hotel and the staff is unfriendly and a joke! Nobody we encountered should be working with people because they ALL ARE RUDE AND HORRIBLE TO GUESTS LIKE WE ARE WASTING THEIR TIME AND TOO IMPORTANT TO TALK TOO they should demolish this place!

• Stayed August 2012
10 Thank JennieB6

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

What a swell place to stay. The hotel is clean, is in a great location, and has Old Hollywood charm, complete with photos of classic actors and actresses on each floor of the hotel. You cannot beat the rates for this hotel. Plus the staff are very friendly, and were very helpful to me. I give it five stars.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Joan C
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The reviews stating the hotel is infested with bedbugs are just unfounded. I took my son to LA to see Jack White at the Shrine. I figured since the cost of the flights, food, tix, and my rental car quickly added up, I just wanted a clean room to crash. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I spent $49 per night for a single queen room. In my opinion, that rate was spectacular for what you get - which was a single queen bed fairly comfortable, huge musty smelling closet(but not so bad), and a small basic bathroom with vintage fixtures. The hotel staff were nice. In particular, the dark haired gentleman who checked us in on 8/10/12 at 2pm was very accommodatiing....In fact he printed a Mapquest for me of a site where Jack White was performing a pop up show without a defined address.

If you seek budget accommodations and your expectations are not to stay at a 5 star hotel, consider this one. It is reasonably close to all attractions, parking in the rear lot was well lit, with plenty of spots available. I even noticed that it is monitored by closed circuit webcams.

Room Tip: ask the desk clerk for a room facing the Hollywood sign. From your room with your iPhone you can cap...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank destijl33
Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed at the Hollywood Historic for one week together with my boyfriend. It was ok; comfortable bed, good refridgerator, most of the staff was helpful in giving directions and so. Downside is that there was a lot of trafic outside the window, and the windows were not very sound-isolating. Some nights we woke up from sirens or people playing really loud music in their cars.

Our view was actually looking out straight towards the Hollywood sign, a pleasant surprise. Less pleasant was that the elavator was broken, causing some discomforts when having to carry heavy suitcases up to the room.

The air condition was placed right under one of the windows, which meant that the curtains hung in front of it when drawn. This made it difficult to use it during the night, which was a bit uncomfortable.

All in all it felt like a good decision of hotel, I do however not think I would stay here again if I visited again. Most likely I would spend a bit more money and go to a nicer hotel instead.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zojx
myrtle beach sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

First of all I must say this hotel is not for everyone,it has no elevator,pool,breakfast etc,but what it has is charm you cant hardly find today at any price.The building is great and the lobby is amazing,when I walked in,I felt I was back in 1927,the room was very clean and the staff was great,they went out of there way to meet all our needs and the best part, with a smile.And you could see Griffith Park and the Hollywood sign from our bedroom.The price was right and it has free parking.We will be back

Room Tip: get a room facing the street on melrose,you can see the Hollywood sign
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charles c
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

I have read many reviews in my time and decided not too listen to them and it has proven that i was right to follow my instinct...until now!

I am writing this as i am sitting in one of the hotel rooms... I arrived in los Angeles about an hour ago and checked in... Firstly the hotel does smell...the carpets are horrid and dirty and the location is terribly intimidating... The lift doesn't work...the room is noisy dirty and the bed is horrible and so are the pillows... The member of staff on is sort of helpful but this does not make up for the terrible...everything!

I am meant to stay here for 10 nights however i have just cancelled the 9 so i am only staying for 1 and haven't even got another hotel booked yet... This is how bad it is!!!!

I hope people listen to this review and not make the same mistake i did...

NEVER STAY HERE!!!