“Very Trendy, Very Hollywood, Balanced With Location and Comfort”

The Redbury Hollywood
Ranked #15 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Lake Macquarie, Australia
“Very Trendy, Very Hollywood, Balanced With Location and Comfort”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

This Hotel is one of the newer in Hollywood and well located near Hollywood and Vine. In close proximity were Capitol Records and the fab Pantages Theatre. Stayed 4 nights in a Hollywood Flat at the back of the building. Very trendy and hip with furnishings and decor. We thought it did capture the Hollywood ambience well. The flat was somewhat darkish mainly due to the darker colour scheme and proximity of a large building adjacent which blocked natural light. The advantage of the room location however was that it was away from the potentially noisy nightclub next door. Subdued lighting seems to be part of the overall design of the hotel. Attractive hallways and reception area in deep burgundy colour with large illuminated portraits of classic Hollywood starlets at the ends of the corridors .
Our flat was large and well appointed with amenities and technology including mood lighting.
Went to the trendy Cleo restaurant one night for dinner which was very nice with predominantly great mezza style food and very good service.
Breakfast was basic, but the granola was very good. No real service in the breakfast area and items on some occasions were not readily replenished.
We found the staff helpful throughout our stay which is always a major advantage in any Hotel. Overall a comfortable stay and would definately return to the Redbury.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank davestan12016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We came for dinner at Cleo (great food, friendly staff). Since we had valeted at the restaurant/hotel, after a night out dancing we decided to stay at the Redbury instead of going home.
It's a shame we only stayed one night - we got a great upgrade to a drop dead gorgeous room that is bigger than most of the places I've lived in. The decor is modern yet homey with a fun twist with all the records and random stuff in the living area.
My partner didn't have a problem with the noise but I didn't get more than an hour of sleep. It was so loud, but given the neighborhood it's expected.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We drove up from Orange County to stay at the Redbury Hotel based on a recommendation from a friend. He said, "It's the coolest new place hands down!" We ended up finding a great deal on Hotels.com... $209 per night for the highland flat I believe it was called. We were happy to have found a deal, and excited to check this place out!
We left for LA earlier than we had planned so I called ahead to find out when check-in was and to then make sure our room would be ready by the 3:30 check-in time... We were assured that it would be. When we arrived at 4:00, we were told that our room was not ready and that we could wait in the library or on the couch in the "lobby" (more appropriately called a dark corner in front of the elevator), neither of which being inviting places to sit and wait. After a few long minutes I began to become aggravated, considering I did call ahead and was told our room was ready. I went back up to the front desk to ask if ANY room was available. After fumbling around on the computer and asking someone for help, the front desk guy gave us keys for a different room on the 4th floor. We were told that we were given an "upgrade" because apparently the room that we were originally getting was going to be on the 3rd floor. I don't see how this mattered because when we got to our room we discovered that our windows faced a brick wall looking down to a trash ridden alley way. Although not ideal, this was something that we could have handled as we could draw the sheer drapes and not worry about the view... We weren't planning to spend too much time in the room during daylight hours anyway. What we couldn't handle was the nauseating stench of cigarette smoke that gave me an instant headache. I specifically requested a non-smoking room when I booked our reservation, and when I called down to ask to switch rooms I was told that this was a non-smoking hotel, but that if we came back down they would get us switched to a different room. We then lugged all of our stuff back down to the front desk, never once offered a bellmen or any assistance with our baggage, and were given another key to a room on the 4th floor. "Ok, whatever... Shake it off!", we were thinking. We had dinner reservations and then tickets to a show after that. We just wanted to enjoy the rest of our one night stay in LA.
We had reservations at Katsuya, which is literally a half of a block from the hotel, and also owned/operated by the SBE group. Dinner was great, but we regretted not having dinner at the Redbury's own Cleo restaurant... We heard nothing but great things about the dining experience there.
Anyway, the rest of our night was great. We returned to the hotel around 11pm. We were happy, tipsy and ready to pass out. The beds were extremely comfortable... Beautiful pillows and linens. The rooms have a very homey feel, set-up more like an apartment than a hotel room. We fell right asleep and got approximately 2 hours of great sleep. Unfortunately, this was short lived as we were awoken around 1:30am by the loud thumping of music. We turned the TV on to try to drown out the music and eventually fell back into a restless, unfulfilling sleep.
We were up at 8am the next morning kinda groggy and ready for a good coffee and hearty breakfast, but were again disappointed to find that the hotel didn't really offer much more than a continental breakfast. We decided to just pack up and check out... We'd grab something to eat at Waffle's which is great and just a few blocks away.
So, upon check-out we were giggling because we saw one of the guys from the Travel Channel show "Ghost Adventures" which I like to watch before going to bed at night. He and his wife, with newborn baby in tow, were complaining to the front desk because he said that someone came into his room at 7:30am to take stock of the records for the record player in the room. He thought it was highly unusual and very disturbing at that hour.
The girl that was helping us check-out was listing to their conversation and inadvertently re-charged us for our room, which was already paid for in full. Whatever - She apologized, reversed the charges and we were outta there.
In short, the Redbury is in a great location, right off the 101 on Hollywood and Vine. It has a hip, funky vibe with dark crimson walls and giant illuminated pictures of starlets from the 40's and 50's... Not my style, but I'm sure it would appeal to others. The rooms are large and equipped like apartments with kitchenettes and washing machines. The restaurant, Cleo, is said to be very good. The layout of the hotel is kind of bizarre... No real lobby besides a cut-out of the wall at the top of the stairs. The staff and level of service is lacking, but I do believe that they have potential. Would I recommend the Redbury to a friend? Not MY friends. There are many kinks to be worked out.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bleach82
wisconsin
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Very spacious room with kitchenette! Great Restaurant downstairs (Cleo's). Loved the turntable and vinyl records on our very eclectic room!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank familyoftravelers6
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Let me start this review by saying I hate LA. I hate almost everything about that vapid city. Unfortunately, I work in TV so that necessitates travel to Loathe Angeles several times a year. Double unfortunately, we mostly have to stay in Hollywood. That being said, the Redbury makes all those things more than bearable. First off the rooms are huge. We stayed in the smallest room available and it was 750 sqft. Giant kitchen, living room and a super comfortable bed with awesome sheets.

The hotel itself is trendy and super designy but not in an obnoxious way. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful making us feel right at home. We normally stay at the W Hollywood across the street and while the rooms are nice there, the hotel as a whole is so sceney and obnoxious that every time you walk in the door you have to show your key and the doormen look you up and down. Not so at Redbury. It's just a super cool, low key (for now) place to call home when you are in LA.

The food at Cleo's is awesome too. While the drinks are expensive, they are delicious. I highly recommend the Clemintina. I miss it.

We also managed to get a stupendous rate, which I hope will not change much for our future travels.

Are there some glitches...yes...the rooms aren't dark (as some other reviewers have mentioned) it's just that finding all the light switches is a little difficult. It took us about 5 minutes when we walked in to figure out where all the switches were and how to turn them on. And, yes, it can get a little noisy. The first night we were there the club next door was pretty loud. Luckily, the noise stopped at around midnight and our jetlag lulled us to sleep.

There's no doubt in my mind (if the rates stay the same) this will be the only place I rest my weary head when I am reluctantly dragged in to the city of devils.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank cjthekid
WA
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My Grandfather use to say, “There’s many a slip between the cup and the lip.” It means I think, just when you think you’ve sealed the deal something goes wrong to upset it. The Redbury Hotel on Hollywood and Vine at the moment falls under this truism.

My wife and I spent 10 nights at the Redbury over the Christmas/New Year holiday. We chose the hotel based solely on the reviews we read on Trip Advisor. We read with anticipation about the “exciting and eclectic décor.” The “hip and funky beat of the place” all of which to a greater or lesser extent (depending on your point of view) are true. But after your eyes adjust to the soupy cool darkness of the room you begin to notice the first of many slips “between cup and lip.”

The room we had was on the 5th floor and can best be described as New York loft meets LA bravado. On the wall is a clock last seen in one of two locations either around the neck of “Flavour Flav” or tucked uncomfortably into the breast pocket of The Mad Hatter. Right away you know that this place is trying hard to be something different. But what is it trying to be that is the question? Is it a hotel? Well no, not yet. Not a 5-star one.

Most people after they have dropped their bags in the room, had a look at the bathroom, switched on the TV and bounced up and down on the bed a few times (purely as a means of testing comfort level) then turn their attention to information. Information on the hotel, the location, hotel restaurants, hotel breakfast facilities, important telephones numbers (ie how to contact housekeeping) and the like. There is not a single scrap of information in the room that pertains to any of this. And when you ask why this is, the answer you are given is quote “We are working on an I-Pad that guests can hire in the future that will have that information on it”. Most 5-star properties have already beaten Apple founder Steve Jobs to this technical issue with old fashioned "I-Paper" in booklet form with the information written in it (Slip number 1)

Slip number 2: (and the most important as far as my wife is concerned). When you ask the question after 4 days, “How often is the bed linen changed?” You are told matter of factually “every 5 days” “Oh, but it can be changed sooner if you ask” Ask? Why should I have to ask? Again, most 5-star have this one sorted too. If you want your bed changed on a particular day, you place a little card on the bed. If you don’t, then you simply leave the card off. Every 5 days is not what I would consider the definition of a 5-star hotel! A serviced apartment yes. A 5 star no. If the Redbury wish to pitch themselves in the serviced apartment market that’s fine (but I doubt it), and if it is, let perspective guests know. Also, as stated above, hotel information guide in the room would inform you of this.

Slip number 3: De-cafe coffee. I know that LA see itself as the health and body beautiful capital of the world. You only have to listen to the ads for huge burgers paradoxically followed by laxative commercials on TV to know how serious they are about it. However, despite repeated requests to reception for some real coffee, every time we returned to our room there they were. Like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds”. De-cafe coffee pods multiplying at an alarming and malevolent rate. Eventually a note to housekeeping written in blood did the trick.

Slip number 4: The House Car: We were told that the house car was available to take us on short local trips to say The Farmers Market or Beverly Centre et-al. In the 10 days of our stay the house car wasn’t available once (no matter what time we asked). It was either “out”, “not sure what time it was due back” or towards the end of our stay (and my favourite) “in for service.” If you are going to offer this “service” to guests and one car isn’t sufficient to meet demand- buy a second one.

Slip number 5: A General Air of Detachment from Guests. Now this is only a personal opinion, my take on the ambience of the place. Nobody was rude. Nobody was offensive. Our questions were answered in an efficient and professional manner. But there was no warmth. The place is new, hip, funky (do people still say funky?) and “moody” in a décor sense. As are the staff. There isn’t yet the maturity of hospitality service that we found in a place like the Langham of New Zealand (where we also stayed on this trip). I’m sure however with time that will come.

Where the hotel is in a class of its own is its restaurant Cleo’s!!

My wife and I dined there twice during our stay and it was outstanding. I can think of no more daunting a task then opening a restaurant in LA. All those jaded pallets, always wanting something new. Before moving on in bovine boredom to the next “big thing.” Jenny and the rest of the staff in there do an outstanding job! If in a relationship one partner is stronger than the other, then in the marriage between The Redbury and Cleo’s, its Cleo’s that wear the pants in this union. The food is some of the best of its type we have ever tasted. The beef cheeks, the lamb shank, and the pork belly (make sure you try that) coupled with the hot breads from the wood oven all signify a team of men and women at the top of their game. It an orgy of flavours for the mouth and frankly put, the most fun someone can have with their clothes on.

So where does that leave us when summing up the Redbury? Many have reported here how dark the rooms are. So what the Redbury need do is turn on some more light not only in the rooms but in themselves and try and illuminate what they are trying to be. Are they a hotel or a serviced apartment? Perhaps they should have a few more business meetings over dinner in Cleo’s and see how it’s really done.

At the moment the Redbury is a concept in search of direction.

As you leave Cleo’s and press the lift to the 5th floor, upon alighting, on the wall is a photo of Marlene “The Blue Angel” Dietrich at her most melancholy. You turn to your room and immediately know the reason for the sad face, you open the door and there they are, more de-cafe pods.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank PerthMovers
Kara-TheRedbury, Guest Relations Manager at The Redbury Hollywood, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
Thank you for choosing The Redbury for your stay. Your feedback is valued and greatly appreciated.

While at the time of your stay, we did not have any compendiums or much in the way of collateral in the rooms, that is something we’re happy to say has changed. We now have Guest Services Guides that offer a variety of information about the hotel and its services. An electronic copy can also be found on our website.

In our efforts to be more environmentally conscious, we do change bed linens every 5 days unless otherwise necessary or requested by a guest.

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the coffee and house car. We typically place both decaf and regular coffee in the rooms, but if you had expressed your preference to be regular coffee, we should not have kept on delivering decaf. Our housekeeping staff has been made aware of your concerns and will retrain the team accordingly. As for the house car, it is always difficult when offering a service like that to ensure proper wait times and availability. We did unfortunately have a few days where the car had to be taken in for service, but your point of having a replacement is well taken.

Your praise of Cleo and its staff has been shared with the team. We’re all very proud of the tremendous response we’ve received from guests and the media. We love the food and are thrilled you feel the same way.

Once again, we’re grateful for your feedback and take it very seriously. We hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you again and provide you with improved service and a better experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly should there be anything else we may assist you with.
St Louis
Reviewed 2 December 2010

The concierge staff could not have been better. Very helpful, friendly and gave us a room upgrade. Lovely staff. The rooms were large with a kitchen and balcony which is great if you are entertaining people. The problem for me and my husband was that the room was very dark. All the lobby areas are very dark. They gave us an upgrade to a lighter room with natural light but just be aware that if you need natural light or even light to read by make sure you get the upgraded room. The walls are dark red with a lot of black. I hate to say anything negative because the staff was absolutely fabulous. Maybe in the summer when you can sit outside it would be fine.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple