“Beautiful/spacious/artsy”

Ranked #15 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful/spacious/artsy”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Customer service was top notch from the valet to the front desk to the wait staff in the bar. We were in the smaller room and it was still amazing. Ours was definitely a fun couples room - large comfortable bed/private balcony/slightly see through shower/huge double shower/private toilet. Don't think of a hotel room, think of a large Studio apartment with stocked kitchen, living room, bedroom, and huge bathroom with shower for at least 2. Great amenities too with soft robes and shower goodies. And the attention to detail in the decor - old time Hollywood meets modern day. Quirky/funky/artistic - the interior designers did an amazing job!! Right next door to the Avalon so if you have a concert there first, you can literally roll home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side overlook the alley for the Avalon next door (trash cans, staff hang out). C...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
NYC
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This hotel is a great place to stay in Hollywood! Rooms are mini-suites, very spacious with kitchen, living room area, washer/dryer in unit, and patio deck. The design is very eclectic, with record players in the rooms, which is a cool treat; the record selections vary by room, but I believe you can request additional ones if you prefer.
My only disappointment with the hotel is the food options. Their menu is very limited and can really only get good options while their main restaurant is open (approx. 7-11a, and from 6p, skipping lunchtime). This isn't a deal-breaker as I'll definitely stay here again (and just bring my food in).
All in all, a fantastic find in LA and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Southern US
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Cool hotel in Hollywood. Walking distance to Chinese Theater. We stayed in a suite and it had a working record player and actual records (if you are under 25 you might not know what this is, he he). Full kitchen, etc. Again, a cool hotel, but it is a little worn--nothing that would make me change my mind about staying here, but I see them needing to make some renovation in the next year or so. Nice experience, nice location.

Room Tip: YOu can walk to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Petaluma
Reviewed 13 October 2011

If you are staying in Hollywood look no further, this is truly a great palce, home away from home. Record player in room with great tunes was nice bonus.

Room Tip: Quieter on the higher floors, ask for room with view of capital records.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The location of this hotel is excellent. Within walking distance from Chinese Theater, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, Metro Red Line, great trendy restaurants and many more. My husband and I really didn't need a car during our stay here.

We stayed in the Vine Flat with a view of the Capitol Records Building. The room was very comfortable and a nice amenities. I liked that there was a kitchen so we had a place to stash our leftovers from any restaurant we ate from. I also liked that there is a washer and dryer. I didn't get to use it but is very convenient. The bed was ridiculously comfortable. I felt like we were sleeping on a giant fluffy cloud.. AHHH! The TV had DVR and some premium channels... awesome!

The only awkward thing about the layout of the flat was the shower. I think its kinda odd that from the bed you can see a blurry outline of the person taking a shower on the other side of the wall. It's okay if you are with your significant other, but what if your staying with some friends? If you want to take a shower, you would have to turn on the light in the shower. The problem with this is that if there's someone sleeping in the bed (on the other side of the shower wall) the light shines brightly on them.

All in all, I totally recommend staying here. The staff is very friendly and the housekeeping rocks. I do recommend staying on the higher floors for those who are light sleepers. It did get a little loud at night with the late night crowd roaming the streets. You can hear all the conversations on the street even when all the windows are closed. Luckily I sleep with ear plugs so this wasn't a big issue with me, but it was with my husband.

There was so many pluses than minuses during our stay here. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We really loved that we had space to spread out with a combination kitchen/dining/living room area in addition to bedroom, bath and balcony. The kitchen was equipped with the basics to make a simple meal (though we only made coffee). We were disappointed that we couldn't get into the restaurant (Cleo) despite the front desk recommendation that we try it for dinner. A suggestion to make a reservation a day ahead would have been helpful. Otherwise the service was good and the location worked out great for us. The decor is quite retro/bohemian and the record player with classic vinyl in the room was a really neat touch. One caution.. As with many hotels, wash the glasses before you use them. I'm pretty sure these were not going downstairs to the dishwasher because ours were consistently iffy - fingerprints, towel lint, etc.. I'm not really cool with the maid washing them in the sink and then wiping them with any old towel.

Room Tip: Rooms with street view are great for people watching. Rooms with courtyard view might actually be no...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Kara-TheRedbury, Manager at The Redbury Hollywood, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear Kays55,

I’m delighted that you loved the hotel and appreciate your feedback.

I’m sorry you weren’t able to experience Cleo during your stay. We always make every effort to squeeze hotel guests in, even on busy nights, and are typically successful. Please let me know if you plan on returning, and I will ensure we secure you a table.

I have passed on your concerns regarding fingerprints and towel lint on the glassware, and the necessary steps to avoid these moving forward are already underway.

Cheers,
Kara Flew
Las Vegas
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Great Place & Location if you want to be in the heart of all the action. Rooms are phenominal and very large. Decor is unique,modern,retro & simply put;SPECIAL!! Did not feel like a hotel at all. More like a great flat in the villiage of NYC! Restaurant Cleo's def one of the Best places I've ever eatin. Service was great.

• Stayed September 2011