“Pleasant place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
Essex Manor Hotel Apartments
“Pleasant place to stay”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I came to stay here for about 21 days, and I had a great experience. It was neat, cozy, tidy, quiet. It was great I had a kitchenette -- with dishes, pots, pans, and the whole shabang to be able to store food and put together a little something to eat whenever I wanted. There were extra blankets, sheets, pillows, lots of towels and an extra futon bed for accommodation.

It also felt very safe because the hotel was gated and self locking whenever the door opened/closed which made me feel secure being in a place I wasn't familiar with. Especially since I stayed here throughout the duration of my entire surgery, and knew I was safe while I was recovering. The hotel is also located walking distance to the metro station/bus stops and there are places to eat nearby.

Don, the manager was awesome -- more than helpful. He'd been very accommodating throughout my entire stay since the first day I came and had some issues, and was only a phone call away when I needed him for anything. When I did call him for anything, he came as soon as he could to help out, which was comforting given that I was traveling alone for the first time and knew whatever I needed at the hotel would be taken care of! So if you're reading this Don, thanks a bunch, you're the best! xo :)

If I do come back to LA, I'll be staying here again.

-- Fouzia

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LeilaG21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
Klamath Falls
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was a perfect place for us. We have family members staying here and there are not a lot of hotels in the area. It is an older hotel/apartment but the upkeep is very good. The rooms are well furnished with everything needed for short or long term stays. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and the property is very secure- in a neighborhood some may consider bordering on sketchy. The Essex offers secure off-street parking, laundry room, and a small but charming patio with a hot tub surrounded by a garden of silk tulips! This is a charming place and excellent value for Los Angeles. The area, Koreatown, offers some great eateries nearby. Really love the celebrity themes of the rooms. We stayed in the Carmen Miranda room! Even at street level, our room was pretty quiet at night. We thought the air conditioner was a little loud, but it worked well. We found out after our stay that it was dying, but we didnt know it! I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank fotini622
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Clean and and owner very helpful. The owner was A+ would go back any time, first time in USA with a teenage girl awesome work Don you did well and should feel proud of you accommodation
.....I met some lovely people while staying there

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle P
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Hotel is kept up so nicely. The rooms are supplied with everything I needed to make my stay comfortable. Very CLEAN & impeccable. Don the manager is a sweetheart too! Thank you Essex. I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank JackieLudwick
Castries, St. Lucia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We rent a vehicle when in Los Angeles, so getting around is not a problem. The hotel is located about 5 minutes from Downtown and the Fashion Center. Don the on site Hotel Manager is always available to help with any query. Our trips are usually seven to ten days, this trip was a month, and my wife enjoyed it more. She was able to cook what she wanted because of the full kitchen. Not mini anything. Oh, you have an assigned, secured parking. Great hotel

Room Tip: My wife and I have stayed at Essex Manor on numerous occasions, rooms on the Parking side of hotel a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Moses I
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay at the Essex and I was happy again. Clean, safe, with all the amenities, kitchen ware, toaster, microwave, fridge, gas. Lots of towels, convenient laundry room. I like the themes each apartment has. Stayed this time with Jimmy Stewart. I highly recommend the Essex. And Don is a friendly helpful manager. Thanks.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank K S
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I cannot say enough positive things about Essex Manor. I had the pleasure of staying in the Audrey Hepburn room for five months. I was in Los Angeles by myself for work, and didn't want to have to go through the hassle of renting out an apartment that wouldn't provide furniture or any other amenities.

Essex Manor is truly a hidden gem in Los Angeles. You're minutes away from Hollywood and Downtown LA. I was first impressed with the attentiveness of the entire staff. They were always quick to respond to my e-mails and even allowed me to come tour the apartments prior to committing to a month lease (my original intention was to stay only for a month, but I enjoyed Essex Manor so much that I extended my lease). Don, the property manager, was very pleasant and made himself readily available if any issues occurred. Luckily, I only had to talk to him once about the Wi-Fi and it was promptly fixed.

Since it was just me living in the apartment, I found the size to be extremely comfortable. The kitchen was an adequate size and all cooking utensils (pots, pans, bowls, silverware, toaster, coffee maker, full-size fridge, etc.) were provided. I had a queen-size bed that was VERY comfortable. You're provided with several extra sheets, blankets, an additional comforter, etc.

The bathroom was also a reasonable size and they provided plenty of towels. I never had to wait to do my laundry and it was $1.00 to wash clothing, and 50 cents to dry. If you're not familiar with Los Angeles, that price is VERY cheap compared to laundromats and other apartment laundry facilities.

Additional amenities included Time Warner Cable, Wi-Fi, jacuzzi, outdoor patio area, and a free gated parking spot (THIS IS A HUGE PLUS TO HAVE). I must also comment on the safety level of Essex Manor. You will be provided with a garage clicker in order to access your parking spot and a set of keys in order to enter the building. You have to go through two doors just to get inside the building, and have to enter a code in order to access your room. As a young female living by herself, safety was a very important factor for me, and I never once felt unsafe living here. I even slept with my window open the majority of the time.

In order to keep their prices reasonable, you are not provided with a cleaning service, and they were very upfront about this so it was not a surprise to me that I was in charge of the upkeep in the apartment. A broom, dustpan, and Swiffer were provided so keeping the apartment clean was very easy.

I highly recommend Essex Manor and will gladly stay here again should I need to return to Los Angeles.

Thank you to the entire Essex Manor staff for a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: They provide pictures and square footage on their website for each room. I highly recommend looking...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo