“Easy access to UCLA”
Review of UCLA Guest House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
UCLA Guest House
Ranked #59 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed at the guest house twice - once when touring UCLA and once when visiting my daughter as she now attends there. It is by far the closest location to the campus (actually on campus) and a good value considering other prices in the area. Breakfast is good - not just breads. There were meat cuts and hardboiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, and granola as well as pastries. Rooms are small and there are no coffee makers in the rooms. Service was great. There were no parking spots when we arrived and the desk clerk moved her car so we could park. We requested an extra blanket and she promptly brought 2. The fan was waking me up at night so I called the desk to figure out how to turn it off, and even though it was after midnight someone answered right away and was able to assist. It was clean and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Janice S
Joseph R, General Manager at UCLA Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your comments from your recent stay with us at the Guest House. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our daily complimentary buffet breakfast as well as the great service that you received from our associates. Although the staff was able to assist you, I am sorry to learn that the fan from the air conditioning unit in your room woke you up. I rely heavily on our guest comments – positive or negative – so that we may provide the exceptional services and facilities our guests have come to expect. I can assure you, I have followed up with our maintenance department and the noisy fan issue has been addressed. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to visit your daughter here at UCLA!

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Especially in the Big City LA market this is an excellent value. We were in LA for an on-campus wedding so it was exceptionally convenient. Very friendly staff... If you're lucky and on a space available basis even parking is free. Kudos all around.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank CaPalm

We are so glad that you had the opportunity to stay with us for such an important event as a wedding! I am glad to hear that our friendly staff was able to meet your needs during your visit. We hope that you will be able to return for a future visit sometime soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This place is unique in that it's not really a hotel, but rather a guest house. However, I've stayed at 5 star hotels and was never treated as well there as I was by the staff here. From the moment we checked in (early, as our room was ready), to the moment we left, every single employee said hello, asked us how we were doing and seemed genuinely happy to work there. When we arrived, the housekeeping staff had just finished scrubbing the parking garage floor! It was clean and fresh. The rest of the hotel was equally clean and fresh. The housekeeping staff obviously takes a lot of pride in what they do. The front desk staff was busy but acknowledged us and was courteous and professional, despite having multiple phones ringing and people pulling their attention in multiple directions. The room was not large but was clean, fresh and well appointed. The beds, pillows and linens were very comfortable and the room was quiet, despite the hotel being full and the location being in a busy traffic area. The grounds are well planted and very nice. A good aesthetic to the building, main areas and grounds. All the walls are lined with historic photos of UCLA and the Westwood area.

The only small issue w had was that the trash truck came early and was loud, but we had to wake up anyway.

Breakfast was continental in nature and had a mix of things from fruit and breads to prosciutto, pickles and hard boiled eggs. Assorted juices, coffee, etc. All seemed fresh. Won't do for big eaters, but is a find way to get a nice start to the day. Breakfast area is bright and pleasant. If you want more to eat, there is a student commons just across the street with a grill, deli, barista, etc. as well as a small convenience store.

If you're visiting UCLA this is the best place to stay. It was a quiet, cool spot to return to, after walking all over a hot, busy, crowded campus. As we were leaving early the next morning, the housekeeping staff was arriving for their work day. As we pulled out of the (clean) garage, they were gathering there for stretching and light calisthenics so they could take on their tasks for the day. No wonder they do such a good job! My hat's off to this well run establishment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JLC&N
Joseph R, Manager at UCLA Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review from you recent stay with us at the Guest House. I truly appreciate you taking the time to complement our well-seasoned staff, the overall cleanliness of the property and grounds, as well as the daily complimentary continental breakfast that we offer. We are glad that you had the opportunity to be our guest, and we hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to the Los Angeles area.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is for those with business at UCLA. It is walking distance to most of campus so you can leave your car in the guesthouse parking. The breakfast was mostly breads of different kinds and some fruit, and there was not much seating so that was just ok. The rooms are small with old style bathrooms, but it was functional and clean. Basically, if you want amenities look elsewhere, but if you want to be on campus it is very convenient.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MizzouLizard

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to visit us recently and I thank you for taking the time to share your review. As you mentioned, we are conveniently located on the northeast corner of the UCLA campus, and within walking distance to most academic and business offices. I appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness and functionality of our guest rooms. In addition, thank you for your observation regarding the seating capacity for the complimentary continental breakfast; we will look into this to make it more comfortable and enjoyable for our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Guest House the next time you have business with UCLA.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have stayed at several hotels in the UCLA area over the past year and the UCLA Guest House is a great choice. The bed was very firm but very comfortable. The room small but clean and comfortable. Breakfast (included) was very good and the staff (mostly undergrads?) were fine.

The only possible issue is parking as they do not have enough on the property (which is free) for all guest rooms. If you arrive late or go out for the evening you run the risk of having to go to the front desk and purchase a parking pass then drive to one of the parking structures.

For the price this is definitely a good choice for UCLA visitors.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ggfromsf

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your past visit to the Guest House. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our clean, comfortable rooms, our complimentary continental breakfast and our seasoned staff. As you mentioned, we do offer complimentary self-parking on a first come first serve basis; however, additional parking is located close by at a nominal fee. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too distant future.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I've stayed here numerous times with a child who is a UCLA student. What a bargain. Oh OK, go to the W hotel in Westwood and pay $450 a night. Or the other Westwood dumps. THe Guesthouse is clean, comfortable, and gives a lot of food in the AM. What more do you want being so close to your UCLA student?

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sandytarbet
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is perfect for a short stay. Comfortable, clean and quiet. I liked it as a place to attend a play my daughter was in. The rate is reasonable and there is coffee and tea available all the time. Be prepared to have dinner out and scope out places to drive to. Not much in walking distance on a weekend. The bed was comfortable and it was plenty of room for me. I met up with a friend in their common area and we were very comfortable the area near the fireplace. The staff was friendly and helpful. I'd choose this place over the hotels I have stayed in near campus if there is space available.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family