“Good Hotel but had big flaws”
Review of BLVD Hotel & Spa

BLVD Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Good Hotel but had big flaws”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the BLVD for one night while touring Universal Studios with my husband and son.
The Good: very helpful staff! They helped us find the very close by free shuttle to universal studios. Also the price was reasonable compared to other universal city hotels. The room was very clean, spacious, beds were fairly comfortable.
The Bad: neighbourhood was a bit sketchy. Very surprised about the hotel entrance, just a little hole-in-the-wall. It appears that the hotel was renovated on a budget. Some things were well done such as the bathrooms had nice pedestal sinks and shower rain heads, but the fitness room had only 4 pieces of cardio equipment--no room for more. Spa appeared very small-again little hole in the wall. Pool again was tiny in a a small area, parking very crowded. Had to leave our car keys with the front desk so they could shuffle cars around to let guests in and out. Very limited breakfast cart and lobby bar.
THE UGLY: paper thin walls! Our neighbours came home at 3:30am and it woke both my husband and I up. We could hear the door close, follow their entire conversation easily, etc.
For this reason we cannot recommend this hotel nor will we be returning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nunu72
blvdhotelandsuites, General Manager at BLVD Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the cleanliness of our hotel and our staff’s friendly service, but disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your visit. Please trust your noise issues are noted and reviewed with the managers involved as well as the great praise to the dedicated team. Thank you for bringing the issues to our attention as your feedback is certainly valuable to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Mercer Island, Washington
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel is appaulling. Firstly they got my check in dates incorrect even though I rang to confirm with them(as they had not contacted me) a few days prior. They also messed up a tour I had booked and confirmed with them and that too was booked for the wrong date as well!! Once they sorted this out, the welcome was rude and cold. We arrived early and asked them to hold our luggage until check in. This was done but with a grudge. The following morning the toilet flooded upon its first flush. The flush component broke and water came pouring out of the bowl and a rapid speed. It was my daughter 10 yr old who used the bathroom and flushed the toilet when it flooded. She called us immediately and was quite scarred. We couldn't stop the water gushing so we immediately called reception. They took their time to come even though we told them the room was flooding. The Receptionist came with a plunger and 4 towels. I told him that it is flooding and mains need to be turned off and the plunger and towels were useless. By this stage water was gushing into our co-joining room and onto the carpet around the beds. He then left as he had to find out where the mains were. He returned and turned off the mains. This took him about 10 minutes. By this time the bathroom and hotel room was flooded as well as our co-joining room, damaging luggage we had in there. We were shown a new room and therefore we only had one bathroom for 6 people (we had to evacuate the 2 rooms we paid for as BOTH got flooded by their defective plumbing). We went down to breakfast which was included in our rate and that was inadequate also. Only allowed one piece of toast, one drink and one piece of fruit each. It was like wartime rations. Meanwhile the receptionist sat there on her phone while the upstairs flooding was causing havoc. No-one cleaned up the flood until after midday. We checked out at midday and still no one had cleaned it up. So the water sat there from 7am to after midday!! Also we requested a late check out and they "forgot" and tried to get us to check out earlier. It wasn't as if they were busy either - most rooms were empty. I was then not discounted or given any compensation upon check out even though I had paid for 2 rooms but only got the use out of one. I was initially told I would be taken care of. I was then told to contact the manager regarding any possible retribution as some of our luggage got wet too. I did not hear from the manager the following day so I sent him a kind email advising him of the situation and received a very nasty phone call the following day from the manager telling me it was my 10 year old daughters fault the room flooded and it caused damage to the floor below ours as well. He said she should have been SUPERVISED whilst going to the toilet. I told him my 10 yr old is completely able to go to the toilet on her own and she knows how to flush a toilet correctly. I couldn't believe he was serious!! He was screaming at me and insisting it was our fault and that we should have be responsible for turning off the mains. He even likened it to a fire and said that if there was a fire in the hotel we should try to put it out (rather than running and getting to a safe place!!) I couldn't believe my ears. He was insulting, rude, arrogant and condescending. If his incompetent staff had of addressed the issue as soon as we notified them (he even accused me for not calling reception soon enough!! How much quicker than a few scones of the event did he expect at 6.55am??) and if they came equipped with knowledge of where the mains are (again he accused me of not being smart enough to know where the mains are of a room I had never been in before!! If his OWN STAFF didn't know, how was I, a paying guest supposed to know). The phone call then ended with me telling him that I didn't appreciate being spoken to like that and that his customer service was appaulling and that he would be hearing from my lawyer!! Needless to say I was not discounted for our inconvenience and damage and also for the fact I paid for two rooms, but only received one during our stay. NEVER GO TO THIS HOTEL!! It's a sham and hell hole!!

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms at this hotel. It's worth paying a little extra and going to a better ma...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Rachel T
blvdhotelandsuites, General Manager at BLVD Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 October 2014
Thank you kindly for your feedback and we certainly apologize for any inconvenience with the room issues and please trust that your concerns are indeed noted and shared with the managers involved. It is disheartening that you left with a negative impression and it is our hope that you are kind enough to give us another opportunity to regain your confidence during another visit.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

... The ones who warned not to stay here. I never met the manager because as far as I know there never was one on site. However, the practices followed by this establishment are the worst I've encountered EVER.

It's too bad because the location is very good. 8 minute walk to Ralph's, 10 minutes in the opposite direction to the bus loop and a subway terminal as well as the shuttle to go up to Universal Citiwalk and the studios. Plus the rooms are fairly comfortable looking. The design is nice though you can tell attention was not paid in ensuring rooms were finished properly. Eg doors did not usually open fully as they are not flush with the floor. The shower drain was not properly attached so when you showered you had to be careful not to step on it. Each room seems to come with a weird annoyance. Yet I could still tolerate that.

The reason I will never stay here again is because of the complete lack of professionalism by the staff when they knew they had done wrong. Upon the recommendation of a friend who lives in LA, relying on location and a look at the rooms only, I booked to stay there 7 nights. I prepaid the first five to get a bit of discount but the last two I couldn't though they were reserved in writing. On the 6th day, after an afternoon out, I was not able to get back into my room. I went to the front desk and was told they had checked me out. That's when I realized my suitcases and everything I'd had out had been stuffed into the extra bags I'd acquired through my shopping were right there in front of me - behind the front desk. The food in the fridge, the contents of the closet, everything. I had been effectively evicted. Without warning, of course. The employee at the front desk, Marisol, apologized left and right, promised to speak with the non present manager to do something for me, but in the back of my mind I recalled the bad reviews and did not place much faith in those words but wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad I did not hold my breath. Perhaps the staff knows what is right from wrong but have no power to act. I don't know and can no longer care, except to warn future visitors of what they can expect.

Marisol managed to get me another room with staff to help me move my things there. At least that was done. Unfortunately the second and final night of those two horrible days was New Year's Eve. I was on the top floor but the room was beside the elevator. Normally quiet, it was NOT as there was a party going on the first floor with a dj playing loud booming music, the booming travelling up the elevator shaft. I called the front desk and was told it would stop at midnight. Okay, I understood it was New Year's Eve, but then they did not stop beyond midnight! I called again and was told NOTHING could be done. What??? I had to be up at 5:30 to get ready to check out and leave LA and they couldn't do anything about it?

I had to threaten to not pay for that night before any action was taken by them. Making threats is NOT the way I conduct myself, ever, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The employee, Nicholas, finally figured out he could just ask the dj to turn down the bass and the booming finally stopped. Why was I told nothing could be done?

The next morning as I checked out and my bill not adjusted for the eviction, I told the staff I'd never stay there again and why, explaining the reasons in a calm but firm manner. Their response? Oh that's fine, you can write about it on the internet if you want. We understand. Happy New Year! All this was said in the friendliest but creepiest manner. Creepy because they really did NOT care and were completely unphazed by my comments about the lack of professionalism. Have they no pride???

Lesson learned for me. I hope others will take heed.

P.S. Thankfully my next stop was at the Chancellor Hotel in SF where I was welcomed and treated with the professionalism I normally expect. Hallelujah.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Behrcat
Thank you Behrcat for leaving feedback about your stay at the BLVD Hotel & Spa in Studio City. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the close proximity to Universal Studios City Walk. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience with the room issues and please trust that your concerns are indeed noted and shared with the managers involved. It is disheartening that you left with a negative impression and it is our hope that you are kind enough to give us another opportunity to regain your confidence during another visit.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at the BLVD as an over night stop before heading down to vegas. The rooms are very clean and plenty of space however if you were planning on staying longer than 1 or 2 nights and wanted more out of a hotel this isn't the place. Although there was nothing wrong with the hotel it just doesn't have anything to offer the bar is tiny and was under renovation when we were there and the swimming pool is more like a big bath tub down an alley way. Perfect for just stopping over night and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Things for foreign tourists to be aware of when you book Tax is not included or city tax and parking is also extra.

Room Tip: I went with my friend we booked a room with 2 queen doubles and it was perfect for us, I don't t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
blvdhotelandsuites, General Manager at BLVD Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the BLVD Hotel & Spa in Studio City! We thank you for your kind words and are pleased you enjoyed your layover stay. We hope next time you are in Los Angeles you will come see us!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I just want to say that we had a great experience during our stay at this hotel. The staff (Tera and Erika) were amazingly nice as well as very helpful. They answered all of our questions and met all our needs. They were accommodating with our requests and helped us find our way in the city since we were not familiar with this side of LA. The room was clean and spacious with two TV's which was perfect for us and our kids. We had Free Wifi. The Hotel is located 5 minutes walking distance from the shuttle that takes you to Universal Studios, this was awesome because we did not have to pay for parking at Universal studios. The only thing that I have to say is that I wish they would include a free continental breakfast with the price of the room($200/night). We also had to pay for one day parking at the Hotel ($15) and that was a bit weird but like I said before we did not have to pay for parking at Universal studios so this saved us $40 because we stayed 2 days and they actually allowed us to leave our car in their parking lot the second day even after we had checked out. This was nice because we did not have to worry about were to leave our car and we were able to pick up our car that evening after we came back from the park. Anyhow, if you are trying to find a good, clean, spacious hotel near Universal Studios this is your best option. We will certainly return here on our next trip to the park. Thanks, Girls at the front desk we truly appreciate being treated with respect.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Third floor and everything was good there so, that is what I can suggest
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
blvdhotels, General Manager at BLVD Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Thank you for staying at the BLVD Hotel & Spa near Universal Studios! We appreciate you taking the time to write this review and are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you back soon!
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a good no frills hotel. Parking is easy and the reception is close by. There's nothing at reception except reception. Access to the rooms is not attractive - via a door off an alleyway. The room was huge and probably should have been split into two rooms - there was way more space than anyone needed - could have had a party in there and slept through it! Perfectly comfortable - my only complaint was that there was not enough interior lighting but I find that at most hotels as my eyesight gets worse. As others have commented, the location is great and it is easy to find.

For breakfast, I recommend crossing the road and going to the little cafe opposite - try their chicken and avocado omelette - perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Ian T
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I don't even know where to begin! This hotel is probably the WORST place on earth all around. The staff members are all inexperienced and are completely controlled by their atrocious manager. I would pay people NOT to stay here.

My school decided to have our after prom at the BLVD, seeing as most high schools have their after-proms at hotels. i booked three rooms for my friends and i under my credit card, let me tell you this hotel does not come cheap.

We checked in late at night and went to our rooms, to make a very long story short, the police came about two hours later and had kicked almost 200 kids out of the hotel, whether or not they had a paid room. now i will admit that it got a little crazy in the hallways of the hotel and that people who had not booked rooms did show up. I completely understand that the management had to call the cops because this would give the hotel a bad reputation, but the hotel itself was capable of doing that themselves just as well.

Although my friends and I stayed civil and kept our rooms in good conditions, the police barged in right as we were about to go to sleep and kicked us out. we went downstairs with all our lauggage and i refused to leave! we paid almost $500 total to stay there! I was very reasonable with the staff and they were trying to help me out, but that monstoreous manager came out yelling at me and everyone else to get out! He was in such a rage that is appeared that he wasn't all there, we all thought that he may have been under the influence because we have never seen such behavior from a professional!

He agreed to let me and the other 11 people stay, and one of the staff members escorted us to our rooms to make sure that no one that wasn't supposed to be there, snuck in. we all went to our separate rooms and went to sleep. the next morning we woke up and I, being the responsible cardholder, went into every room and helped everyone to clean up to make sure the room was spotless! upon check out i recieved two/three invoices, had signed them, and left.

a couple days later I get my bank statement showing me that one room was charged $250 damage fee and another was $150 damage fee. I was outraged! when i looked at my invoice i saw that the $250 damage fee was charged the night i checked in, BEFORE CHECK-OUT BEFORE ANY HOUSEKEEPING!!! NO BODY EVEN SMOKED IN THE ROOM! i did not have the invoice for the other room that had the $150 fee. i immediatley called the hotel, and they informed me that the manager would be in the next morning and he would call me then. I called him at 10 ( which is when they said hed be in) and of course he was not there, they said he would be there at 12, i called again at 2 and they said he was not coming in at all, then they said he was working on another hotel somewhere else and there is no other number we could reach and no other person we could talk to, because convieniantly the assistant manager had thier day off that day. the staff made any excuse they could for this manager and they were so rude and not understanding! i called multiple times on different days and every time they had a new excuse as to why the manager could not speak on the phone! my bet is that he's standing right next to them telling them exactly what to say!

when my mother went down to the hotel, they could not even explain to her what the damage was and their stories changed 5 times as to what the random $150 charge was. one staff memeber said that she walked into my room the night before and saw people smoking in the bathroom, even if that was true (alhough its not) WHO LET YOU IN TO MY ROOM?!!?!

I'm disputing it with my credit card company right now, and the managers response letter was so fibbed that i had to redispute the letter with more evidence! If i dont get my money back from the credit card company, you can best believe i will be taking this to small case court! I have all the evidence in the world to prove that this guy is a complete scumbag that takes advantage of people in any way he can! they even FORGED my signature on one of the invoices!!!!!

I don't know who have this guy a license to own a hotel, but i want to make sure that he doesn't have it for much longer.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Mr. Yousef is not a manager he is just a really talented FRAUD!

I'll see you in COURT!

#119 of 350 in Los Angeles
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
The Tangerine
#2 of 20 in Burbank

Been to BLVD Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!