“Unfortunate Experience”

Ranked #115 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Melbourne, Australia
“Unfortunate Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

After spending more than 50 nights a year in hotel rooms I thought I had seen it all but this hotel set a new low.

I was booked here by the concierge at the Westin LAX because my early check-in room there was not available and, according to them, the Four Points Hotel had rooms ready “now”. “Now” turned out to mean later that day but the desk clerk found me a room in about an hour. (He also told me that they don't have any housekeeping staff working before 9:00am which would be a new first for an airport hotel!)

I climbed into bed to get some sleep after my 14 hour flight and was woken by a gurgling noise in the bathroom. I tried to ignore it but eventually got up to find the bathroom floor covered in numerous spot of water and the bath full of what looked like effluent.

The GM apologized, changed my room and offered some beer vouchers.

The new room was OK for an airport hotel and the restaurant service was quite good but it won't be my choice in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The worst experience in my life, a poor quality, bad customer service, and the parking lot is extremely small so I can't not find a place to park my truck and they told me they don't have any spot for handicap guests.

• Stayed June 2014
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Mauricio G,

Thank you for your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to improve. We strive to provide uncomplicated comfort for each guest and so we are sorry to hear that you experienced poor customer service during your recent stay. Rest assured, your comments have been addressed with our team in hopes of better improving future guest stays. We hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Prince Albert, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival to our room the hallway itself smells like pot/smoke, the room is so tiny especially the bathroom can't breath. Staff is not accomodating, there is one time that I advised them that my mom will be coming to visit me, just In case she arrives and I'm still out on tour, to let her in our room, the staff said he could definitely do that, but it didn't happen, they let my mom wAit for me at the lobby. That's unacceptable.
Then you have to pay for your parking which is quite expensive but no space to park!
I will definitely not recommend this hotel, if I were you I'll just go to nearby hotel, for additional fee you'll feel accommodated!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michica09
Dear Michica09,

We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay. We strive to create a relaxing and accommodating environment for each guest and so we are sorry to that was not your experience. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future to prove that this is not the norm.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We tried their special fly/park offer, but the experience was so negative that we'll take a taxi to the airport in the future. Every room we were shown reeked of stale cigarette smoke, as did the hallways. The staff was rude and the breakfast was expensive. It's not worth the free parking and shuttle service to begin one's trip under these paltry conditions. Definitely not recommended.

Room Tip: Every room we were shown smelled of cigarettes, and there were burn stains on the carpet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa D
PKFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Needless to say, I was very disappointed to hear that everything did not go well. It sounds like we got it wrong right out of the gate. I cannot express to you how disappointed I was to hear that our staff was anything less than friendly and cordial during your encounters. I sincerely apologize. As for the smoking, an explanation not an excuse, we are a 100% smoke free hotel and charge $200 when we have evidence that anyone did indeed smoke. Unfortunately, many people still choose to ignore the rules and CA law but we simply can't catch all of them. I hope you'll give us another chance to get it right. Let me know once you've made a reservation and I'll be sure that you're in for a great stay. Best, peter.kolla@fourpointslax.com
cleveland,ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is okay for a very very short stay. The entire hotel smells old and moldy.
The carpet in the rooms had stains on them. The bathtub is very old but clean. The mirror in the bathroom looked like a 5yr old cleaned it. It was very noisy with the planes flying over.
The beds were very comfortable and the down filled comforter were the best part.
The airport van pretty much runs when it wants to.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tayshan1
I really appreciate your feedback and apologize that your stay was not up to standards. We sometimes receive complaints about airport noise but it's usually when the airport reverses takeoff and landing patterns, which is not often. Additionally, we have three different towers, each with it's own experience. The shuttle is on a cycle, not a set schedule and runs approximately every 15 - 20 minutes. If you wouldn't mind reaching out to me personally at peter.kolla@fourpointslax.com I'd like to discuss the other items mentioned and your specific room number. Our goal is to improve with every comment. Best.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Shuttle service: It is awful. You need to wait in a general hotel shuttle area, instead of in a designated hotel space, so the back-up of shuttle vans and buses coming in is a mess. Then, when you get on the shuttle, you have to stop at several other pick up spots along the perimeter of the airport, so the shuttle becomes more cramped as you go. The more times that the shuttle needs to fight its way to and from the pick-up curbs, the more you want to punch yourself for not taking a taxi. (side one: one taxi driver we did approach refused to take us because the one mile trip wouldn't be worth it for him. So you are basically stuck with the shuttle...or a very desperate cab driver.) Once you leave the airport, you pass the hotel and go to the other hotel that uses the same shuttle first. Then you u-turn back to the Four Points.

Check-in: it was standard in timing, but not overly personal or cordial. This is definitely a one night stop atmosphere.

Hotel: This is really a refurbished motel. Each hallway only has rooms on one side. These rooms have giant windows that look out into the hall, which of course looks like a motel that the Sheraton decided to throw an exterior wall onto. The carpet in the hallways and rooms has seen better nights...or worse, depending on clientele. The rooms carried on the motel feel. The sheets were clean, but they stood out because everything else seemed so dingy and old.

In the Sheraton family, this is the loser cousin that people roll their eyes about at family picnics.

Room Tip: For a good room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AMathur12
Thank you for your post. I was sorry to hear that your interactions with our staff were just ordinary. I'll be sure to share this with the front desk, the Welcome should be engaging and inviting. We will do better. By way of an explanation, all of the hotels in the area use the same shuttle service, except two. The goal behind this service is twofold; for service to be consistent and secondly, it has significantly reduced emissions at and around the airport. Each hotel is paired with one other, therefore there is either one stop when departing or arriving; for Four Points there's one stop on the way here but it's straight to the airport upon departure. I've shared your comments with the shuttle service as we strive to improve your experience. We hope to see you again. Best.
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We generally stay at this hotel on our way to somewhere. It is great value because we get the fly/park package which includes the price of a clean, quiet room and parking in their outdoor lot. We are SPG (Starwood) members so they put us on the foor for members. The staff are kind, accommodating and professional. I have rated it a 4 because it is a layover. Always reliably clean and peaceful...and the free shuttle to and from the airport is great, too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the 4 star review, we're shooting for 5 next time. We really appreciate your loyalty, kind words and recognition of our staff. Look forward to seeing you soon. Best.