“Postwar Berlin Houswife's Ingenuity comes to Silverlake”
Review of Berlin Currywurst

Berlin Currywurst
Ranked #2,103 of 10,306 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 March 2013

To amaze us with what creativity can come up with the most mundane of ingredients. In a hellish situation in post-war Berlin with scarce availability of ingredients, using ketchup from the Americans and curry from the British she came up with this tasty, zingy, hot sauce to eat sausages with. There is a variety of sausages to choose from and the sauce's hotness can be adjusted to taste. The coarse, fresh, German rye bread is delicious and just the right consistency for dipping into all the sauce you'll have left over once the sausage is gone! Nice selection of beers and other things too. It's a tiny space with a few seats outside from which to people-watch on a nice, sunny Spring day.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Berlin Currywurst brings an authentic taste of Berlin to Hollywood. There is a wide variety of wursts and toppings with different degrees of spiciness and very good "German" rye bread goes great with the wursts. There are also tasty french fries and delicious beers. The staff is friendly and helpful if you have questions.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Best currywurst in town. If you have been to Germany, this is one of the best currywurst you can get outside of Germany. You have a choice of different sausages, the original bratwurst, bockwurst, beef or chicken sausages, and 4 levels of how spicy you want the curry. I have tried up to level 3 and it was pretty hot. Homemade fries are made from organic potatoes.

Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about this place. The food is amazing and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Their recommendation for which seasoning to use with each sausage has been spot on. I always get the #4 heat level but I love spicy food. Make sure you can handle it if you order it that way. It makes me sweat for about 10 minutes after I'm done eating and warms me for about 3 to 4 hours beyond that. I equate the feeling to that of a dulled version of taking a shot of alcohol. They have a level 5 heat that is not on the menu and maybe one of these days I will don a sweatband and give it a try.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

You would think the owners invented Currywurst themselves after meeting them, but as they explained it to me on my first visit, Currywurst was first introduced in Germany after WW2 when soldiers returned from India fusing German bratwurst with curried sauces. They just brought it to LA several years ago to this part of Sunset Blvd.
I had what was recommended after asking several questions and giving my taste preferences (Garlic- yes, Spicy- yes, Vegan or Meat- Either, Fries- Yes). I ended up with a slided Paprikawurst with a mildly spicy red curry sauce, which is served with two hearty slices of fresh homemade-tasting baked bread, and a bowl of perfectly cooked and spiced fries. The husband and wife owners are busy at work with one extra employee. They knew everyone's name that came in and were genuinely happy to see them. Its affordable, delicious, friendly, and I would've gone back for dinner if I was still in LA.
They are applying for a liquor license, but in the meantime you can enjoy an Oat or Lychee soda. The portion looks small but is filing and you will leave wishing you could eat twice as much. I'm a big fan.