“A Wonderful Stay in West Hollywood”
Review of Elan Hotel

Elan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at the Elan. This time it was for four nights. The previous time was in 2012. I was very pleased to see that the high level of service and amenities has not changed, if anything they have improved.

The hotel is conveniently located on Beverly Blvd in West Hollywood. It is about two blocks from the Beverly Center and with walking distance of both the Grove and the Beverly Hills shopping area as well. There is valet underground parking available which I used with no issues whatsoever.

The staff here are excellent. It is significant to note the familiar faces from our previous visit. Low staff turnover is usually a good sign. Everyone from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the very friendly lady who assists during the evening wine and cheese offerings was pleasant and knowledgable.

The rooms are well appointed with all the various amenities one would expect. Our room was on the second (top) floor facing onto Beverly. We found the noise level to be minimal with the only sounds of note were the odd emergency vehicles. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. One item of note worth mentioning is the damper on the doors to the rooms. There is nothing more annoying that the sound of room doors slamming shut at various hours. While the damper on the Elan doors requires a little more time for them to close, it goes a long way to reducing that type of noise.

The hotel offers a selection of wine and cheese inn the early evening. This is a wonderful opportunity to relax with a glass of wine, cheese and crackers before preparing for a night out.

My only pet peeve is the hard boiled eggs provided at breakfast. There are ways of hard boiling them that would allow the shell to be removed much easier that what is currently offered. Outside of that there is the usual selection of breakfast items such as baked goods, bread, cereals, fruit etc...

This is an excellent hotel. The overall experience is superb. My wife and I have stayed here before and we would stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MisterCheeky
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Our goal is for all of our guests to experience exceptional service. The staff goes through a training program to insure that a high level of service is constantly offered. They enjoy the day to day interaction with our guest from around the world. In addition, many of our staff has been here since the original opening date of the hotel.
We are happy that you like our room amenities and that you felt that our rooms are well appointed. We do upgrade them from time to time and our guests have come to expect these welcome changes! Our morning continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception are a great way to meet people. Many guests have made new friends here.
I am glad that you experienced a superb stay with us and thank you for recommending the Élan Hotel.

Joel Majors

Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had stayed at the Elan years ago and so looked for it specifically for our recent one night stay. It is still a lovely boutique hotel and in the very heartbeat of LA-Beverly Hills. Perfect location only a few blocks to great restaurants and shopping at the Beverly Center.

Everything was very clean and they have new offerings like wine in the late afternoon and a simple breakfast in the morning. I was uncomfortable in the bed as it was very firm. I was exhausted though and slept with an extra blanket beneath me. The next morning I told the staff and was immediately told they had fluffy mattress covers to use if I had called. Darn! I never would have thought to call them re: mattress style. Now I know and so do you. Frankly I think the staff is great and they worked hard with me on the best rate they could offer. In the end they gave me a deeper discount upon my arrival. I

I will stay at the Elan anytime I travel to the LA area. Great little secret!

Room Tip: Be sure if you need a less firm mattress to let the staff know. They have options for you.
2  Thank Denise T
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are happy that you selected the Élan Hotel for your recent one night stay in Los Angeles. As you mention our location is on that is central to so much of what Los Angeles has to offer. Whether it be shopping, dining, sightseeing, or nightlife there is something for everyone.
I appreciate your mention of our room amenities and we are glad that you were able to join us for our morning continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception. We do offer a pillow-top mattress for those guests who prefer a less firm mattress. Please let us know in advance next time and we will have the room ready for you upon arrival. Thanks for mentioning the staff. They enjoy meeting our guests from around the globe. Thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and me stayed here last month for two nights. Great hotel with good location and not too far from Hollywood walk of fame, Beverly hills, farmers market. Staff was very good. Clean hotel with good housekeeping. Complimentary wine and cheese from 5pm - 7pm :). Basic breakfast but decent.

1  Thank Frankie9684
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Our family has had to travel to Cedar Sinai for different reasons for the past few years. This was the best hotel - LOCATION, STAFF, ROOM, HELPFUL!!! Highly recommend. The whole staff was so helpful in every situation. The biggest help was the need for an early check-in time for a medical appointment and they were able to help us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are adjacent to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and many of our guests from around the world come to Los Angeles to be seen by the world renowned doctors there. I appreciate your mention of our great staff, guest room, and customer service as well. Thank you so much for recommending the Elan Hotel to your friends and family. We appreciate your review and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here as a result of a last-minute trip to visit UCLA. Because we were only staying in town for a few days, I wasn't overly concerned that we weren't staying at a full-service hotel.

As others have noted, the rooms are somewhat small but very clean. Every staff person we encountered were extremely friendly in a very genuine way. I appreciated the central location, the ability to print our boarding passes for free, the free wifi and continental breakfast. One special note - their coffee is amazing. I was amazed that I could get a great cup of coffee without having to make a Starbucks run. It may seem like a small detail but avoiding a 6 a.m. trip to get coffee made me very happy.

Others have noted the noise level. For me, I asked for a quiet room and I got it. The only issue was that you can hear people in the hallways talking or moving around. Not sure this wouldn't be a problem at most hotels.

I would not stay here if I was on a longer vacation where amenities are more important (gym, pool, beach access, etc.) but for a few days, it is an affordable and friendly option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We are happy that your chose the Elan Hotel as a result of a last minute trip to UCLA. We have a location that cannot be beat and we are a good value for the dollar when you consider our complimentary expanded breakfast, evening wine and cheese reception, complimentary Wi-Fi, and our guest room amenities all included in the cost of the room.
As you mention, our staff prides themselves on providing exceptional customer service in a friendly, sincere way. I’m glad that you liked our amenities and that you enjoyed our Wolfgang Puck Signature Blend coffee that we provide at breakfast and in the guest rooms free of charge. I appreciate your review and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Elan Hotel recently for 4 nights on trip to LA. This was a great choice and the rooms are clean, spacious, reasonable and the hotel is in a excellent location. The staff was very helpful and courteous from check in to check out, and that was the entire staff from the front desk to housekeeping.

When we arrived, we were given our room at 11:00 am even though check in was at 3:00 PM. The lobby is inviting with comfortable seating and also 3 computers and a printer for guests. Our room was a very good size with two comfortable beds. (There were 3 of us in the room) and flat screen TV, a nice size closet and also a free room safe that was big enough to store my MacBook. There was also a desk and and alarm/charger for older iPhones and iPods. The room was very quiet and we did not notice noise from adjoining rooms or the hallways. The bathroom was quite large with good counter space. My only small complaint is it had an old style tub with a shower curtain. I prefer the newer shower only bathrooms with the glass doors. The bathroom did have great towels, robes, slippers and shampoos and lotions. There was a small fridge in our room also. There is free Wi-Fi.

Breakfast is included at Elan and it is pretty decent. Bagels, Muffins, Danish, Cereals, Yogurt, Bananas, Coffee, Juice and toast. We usually took our breakfast on the small veranda outside. The inside tables can fill up fast. They also have wine and cheese from 5PM to 7PM with fruits, salami, cheese and nuts. They also have lemonade and water available.

There are a lot of places nearby to the Elan within easy walking distance. Macy's/Bloomingdales and Cedar Sinai Hospital are just 4 blocks away. A StarLine Hop on Hop Off bus stops at Macys also. There are tons of restaurants and shops on 3rd Street and also Beverly. There is a CVS and a Target that you can walk to also and the airport is only 30-45 minutes away.

The Elan has a flat $24.00 per 24 hours a day valet parking at their garage. There is plenty of on street parking that is metered for $1.00 per hour. It is however free from 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM. I used this quite a bit during our stay as.

This is a great hotel in the West Hollywood/Beverly Hills area. It lived up to the great reviews.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Joel M, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you choosing the Élan Hotel for your four night stay in Los Angeles. You are right about our location as it is one that cannot be beat! We are central to so much of what Los Angeles has to offer whether it is sightseeing, shopping, dining, or nightlife there is something for everyone with just minutes of our doors.
I’m glad that you liked our room amenities and that you were able to join us for our morning expanded continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception as well. Thank you for mentioning the customer service that you received from the staff during your visit. We all enjoy the day to day interaction while meeting new guests from around the world.
Thanks for your review! We are pleased that we lived up to your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Elan was a nice hotel for a one night stay with my fiancé. It is located in Beverly Hills right next to the Beverly Center. There are plenty of good dining options within walking distance. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was nice-no complaints with the set-up and features. My only complaint was the amount of noise early in the morning. We were on the first floor and very near the storage closet and housekeeping room? Lots of noise coming from the hallway. Doors opening and closing, maybe what sounding the dishes, etc. being set up for breakfast, housekeeping staff moving around. It is a good hotel, solid choice especially for the price in the area, but not sure we experienced the same level all the other 5 star reviewers did. As my review says we felt is was good-very good-but maybe not excellent.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room not on the first floor-might be less noise?

Dear Guest,

We are happy that you and your fiancé chose the Elan Hotel for your one night stay. As you mention there are lot of restaurants within all price ranges within minutes of our doors. I am glad that you liked our rooms and the amenities that we provide. However, I am sorry that you heard some noise coming from the hallway. Next time you stay with us you are welcome to request a specific location that may be more suitable for you.
We appreciate that you feel we are a solid choice and that we are a good value for the dollar based on our location. Thanks for mentioning our green practices. All of Greystone Hotels participate in eco friendly practices and sustainability. I appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me when you are come back to Los Angeles. Thank you.