“Excellent hotel in a great location”
Review of Elan Hotel

Elan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2010

travelled with my husband and 6 month old baby. From the minute we checked in the hotel could not have done any more for us. We arrived in a U-Haul truck which was too big to go in the parking lot so they made space at the back of the hotel. Soft music playing when we entered our room. Great breakfast and the use of the microwave to warm baby bottles. Organised a cab to the airport which worked out considerably cheaper than if we had done it ourselves. The wine and cheese evening reception was my favourite part of the stay. A very civilised start to an evening and got to meet others who were staying in the hotel. All in all ann excellent hotel. Walking distance to main beverly hills attractions, The Ivy, Beverly Centre, The Grove and Farmers Market and Melrose avenue.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank DerbyshireLottie

Reviewed 15 May 2010

It was our first time in LA and we found the city, in general, a little hard. Elan made its part in making it easier and comfortable. Staff was great, giving us directions about LA difficult to use public transportation and providing us a driver to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Our room was very comfortable, clean, large and tastefully decorated. Breakfast in the hotel cool lobby was also great, as well as the business center with free internet. Location is good for LA, close to the Beverly Centre, but since we are "public transportation when travelling" guys, I think the next time in LA I'd rather stay in Hollywood, because of the subway and the taxis always available(@ Elan a taxi would take more than 20 min to come). But I don't think that is a particular issue, rather than the city standards. In fact, not being able to hail a cab anywhere made us feel a little trapped in the city and uncomfortable, as well as LA great distances. Than again, Elan was the soft side and we loved it!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marciopsiq
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Elan for 2 nights with my boyfriend in March 2010 as part of a longer fly-drive holiday. The Hotel Elan was the first hotel of the trip, and definitely one of the best.

Location - The hotel was easy to find by car, just pull up at the front for the valet parking. Saying it's close to the Beverley Centre doesn't do it justice - it's literally a 30 second walk away! There is also a CSV pharmacy opposite, and a gas station next door. We ate at the Grand Lux Cafe at the Beverley Centre, and really enjoyed the food (massive portions!). The hotel is a 20-30 minute walk to Sunset Boulevard, and a short taxi ride to Hollywood.

Room - We stayed in a deluxe double, and the room was a very good size with a large bed and a huge balcony looking out onto Beverly Blvd. Despite this there was no road noise at night, and we slept very well. The bathroom was large and clean, and I particularly liked the smell of the toiletries! Housekeeping were great, and the turn-down service with chocolates and the weather forecast was a lovely touch. There was a really useful information booklet in the room that included reviews and location of local restaurants. There were a large number of TV channels, and also free wi-fi.

Facilities - Unfortunately we didn't attend the drinks and wine reception as we weren't back at the hotel in time on both evenings, but we did enjoy the breakfast buffet. It was well stocked with bagels, muffins, cereal, yoghurt, pastries, boiled eggs, fruit, and juices and coffee with take-away cups available.

Staff - The staff were all extremely polite, friendly and helpful. The valet guys took me downstairs to the car to collect my sunglasses when I'd left them down there without any problem, and the reception staff were happy to give directions and recommend restaurants.

As we only had one full day to see LA we decided to go on the Starline City Sightseeing hop on-hop off bus tour, which we boarded just outside the Beverley Centre (outside Macy's menswear entrance). We used two of the four available loops, and went to Hollywood, then through Beverley Hills and Rodeo Drive and on to Santa Monica, where we spent the afternoon on the pier. It was a great value tour which cost $30, you can buy tickets when you board the bus, no need to book.

We also went out with some friends on Sunset Strip in the evening, and went to the Rainbow Bar & Grill and Mel's Diner, both of which we'd recommend (particularly Rainbow Bar & Grill for the generous spirit measures!).

I really, really liked the Elan Hotel, and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foreverliz
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed for 3 nights in the Elan Hotel in April 2010. The hotel is located in the West Hollywood area, which provides easy access to Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff each time we asked any questions. The staff really did go out of their way to assist as much as they could.
Our room included a king bed, work table, safe, mini bar etc. The size of the room was fine and we heard no noise at all as our room was located at the back of the hotel.
Breakfast is included in the price and comes with a variety of cereals, yogurts, bagels etc. There is enough on offer to fill you up for the day.
The location of the hotel is good. It is difficult to get the ideal location in a city like Los Angeles which is very spread out. As we were only in the city for a few days we did not hire a car. I would certainly recommend hiring a car if you are staying in the city for any longer than a few nights. The taxis are expensive and the distance between tourist sights is further than it looks on the map!
The big plus for the hotel though was the staff, they were certainly amongst the most friendly and helpful that we have come across on our travels

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SG1974
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Count me in as one of the many fans of The Elan. I booked 3 nights at the hotel based on the terrific reviews on Trip Advisor. The location was extremely convenient and the friendly valets made the $19/night parking fee a little more bearable. Everyone staff member I encountered at the hotel was extremely helpful. When I asked the man at the desk one night if the hotel had any vending machines because I wanted a couple of bottles of water, he had 2 bottles brought to my room for no charge.

The hotel is in the heart of Beverly Hills/West Hollywood. The Beverly Center, CVS, Marshalls, Old Navy, and a coffee shop are within walking distance which made this NYer happy. I did not partake in the free wine and cheese reception in the late afternoons, but definitely enjoyed the free breakfast every day that included yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, pastries, bagels, juices, coffee, etc. Chocolate croissants, yum!

I do have one complaint - when I checked in and was given a room on the first floor I asked if it was quiet. I was told it would be. However, I was awoken fairly early every morning due to my room's close proximity to the pantry where they keep the breakfast supplies. I could hear them pouring ice into basins and rolling carts back and forth. In addition, they were doing some painting and I was awoken by the sound of workers installing protective plastic on the floors. Other than that issue, I totally enjoyed my stay at The Elan.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Yeah its fine, but how it got number 1 in LA and number 2 in the US is beyond me, I can only imagine good marketing and lots of friends rating it.
Sure its fine, basic, definitely not worth the 167 dollar a night when you add taxes and parking that we paid and definitely not better then the 48 dollar a night 147 vegas ranked tropicana so it bemuses me as to where it can get its rating. room was just about big enough, strange shape with shared courtyard out the window, large bathroom a plus but decor a little dated and breakfast was very simple and not worth getting up for. good location and we walked back from sunset after nice meal up there but overall i thought it very overrated.. see for yourself and maybe LA has terrible hotels but I also stayed in a quality inn down in hermosa beach which i thought was just as good.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2010

This hotel was very decent, clean, comfortable, but it seemed lacking in character. For us, who enjoy hanging out in the room a lot (since one of us hates LA and one of us lives here all the time) it was a bad choice because the room was just boring and although it was spacious and comfortable, it felt like a cave. We had a room facing the inside "courtyard" which is the most depressing view of 4 pathetic potted trees sitting on a concrete square. We asked for a quiet room so this is what we got. I heard from other reviewers that the rooms facing the street are very noisy from the traffic on Beverly Blvd. I would suggest take a street facing room because the noise has got to be better than the depressing view (in my opinion).
The staff was great, the parking fee was less than lots of hotels in LA. And actually there is street parking available a couple of blocks north. Check out Oakwood St. and Rosewood St. for parking. There are some sections where it is not permit only there. It's a bit of a walk to the hotel, but worth it to me, and the neighborhood is really pretty so it's a nice walk.
The hotel is good if you're not planning to spend much time in your hotel. There's nothing to do there... no pool, no roof access, no courtyard, no room service. No pay per view movies. The lobby area is very nice and warm, however. And the free wine and cheese at 5pm is a nice touch. The breakfast is pretty lame though - hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, some stale muffins and the worst banana bread i've ever tasted.
Overall, I wouldn't stay here again as I like hotels with more character. I don't understand why this place is rated #1 in LA. Guess most people value reliability over character. In my opinion it is still a bit overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple