Elan Hotel
Hotel Angeleno(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$216
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
US$415
US$275
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
US$651
  • Beachfront
US$317
US$222
1,462 results
All reviewsbeverly centerwine and cheese receptionvalet parkingwest hollywoodcedars sinai medical centercontinental breakfastbeverly connectionfarmers marketbagelsbeverly hillseach eveningtaco bellsmall hotelgreat boutiquewalking distancehard boiled eggsjunior suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I was really looking forward to my stay in the Elan Hotel which I booked as a treat for myself after a trip across the States. However I was slightly dissapointed with the hotel which I feel did not live up to the reviews on trip advisor. Firstly, I was kept waiting at check in for five minutes while the receptionist took a phone call. This may not seem like a big deal but I was tired and just wanted to get to my room. He did apologize for the delay but I felt he should have acknowledged my presence at least when he was on the phone. He was very friendly and told me about the breakfast and wine and cheese. I then told him that I was under 21, which he should have realized by looking at my passport a few minutes previously. I then went up to my room which was small but still felt luxurious. Ten minutes later, however, I got a phone call from reception to inform me that all alcohol would have to be removed from my room and they would send someone up. I understand they have to do this but it just felt like a massive inconvenience when all I wanted to do was fall into bed. The next day the maid attempted to put alcohol back into the room and I had to explain to her that I was told I cannot have access to alcohol according to the hotel's policy and she accepted this but I feel she should have known! To top matters off there was a small fire in the hotel one of the mornings I stayed there. I felt we got minimal explanation and the hotel smelled of smoke for most of the day which made my stay unpleasant.
The location was good, close to the shops which was what I was interested in and the free internet was great. The breakfast was basic but it was appreciated as it is such a rarity to receive a complimentary breakfast in a hotel these days.
Overall I feel I may have been unlucky with my stay. Although the room was lovely, if slightly small, I don't feel my stay was worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
ElanMGR, General Manager at Elan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Dear Guest,

We are very happy that you selected the Elan Hotel as your destination to Los Angeles and we appreciate this very much as we realize that there are other options available to you. I am sorry that you had to wait for our Guest Services Representative to finish a call before he could check you in. Most generally our check-in procedure is smooth and quick and I agree he should have acknowledged your presence. I apologize that you felt an inconvenience when our staff came to you room to remove the alcohol from your mini-bar but this is a normal procedure for the hotel when our guests are under the legal drinking age. You are right they should have known the next day as well. I am happy that you enjoyed our expanded complimentary and that you were able to take advantage of our free internet service.
On August 5th one of our dryers overheated which caused smoke to circulate in some areas of the hotel. We are very fortunate that it was handled quickly and professionally. Our guests were very patient and we appreciated this.

Finally, I would like to say that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. If I can ever do anything for you on a return visit to Los Angles please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Joel Majors

Reviewed 20 August 2010

We stayed at Elan as part of a week long trip down the California coast prior to dropping off our son for his freshman year in college. We chose Elan based on Trip Advisor recommendations and we were not disappointed.

The location of the hotel is excellent and was a quick drive to some of our sight seeing destinations such as the Santa Monica Pier and Disneyland.

The rooms were pretty spacious. The decor was a bit dated and the carpet somewhat worn, but everything was clean and well taken care of. The water pressure in the shower was fine, something I'm always particular about. The hotel offers free wi-fi and the connection seemed faster than most hotels.

Complimentary breakfast is served in the lobby and was decent, offering cereal, yogurt, pastries, coffee and juice. No hot food like eggs or pancakes.

The hotel service was outstanding. For example, I left my Blackberry charger at the prior hotel. The front desk person asked around among the other service people and found someone with a charger so that he could charge my Blackberry with enough use until I could go out and get a replacement charger. The valet was very good with advice regarding some of the places we were visiting, including unsolicited (and appreciated) advice about wearing some warm clothing in the evening near the beach.

Overall, a very sound and relatively economical choice of hotel. Would definitely come back

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I just stayed at Elan during a 3 week trip around Western USA with one friend & stayed at various nice hotels through out our trip. Elan was our favourite. The customer service/staff are excellent - very helpful. The rooms have good sized bathrooms, are clean, the flatscreen tv has non pay tv - great as some hotels we stayed in were pay per view only! Free internet is another bonus. For those not familiar with travelling in the US without a laptop believe me it gets expensive in most hotels. There is a good complimentary breakfast in the morning as well as wine & cheese from 5pm - 7pm. It is a 5 minute walk to the Beverly Center & there is a 24 hour pharmacy/CVS across the road. I would return here in a flash & in fact very much hope to do so! Thank you Elan for making my trip to LA so enjoyable

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2010

This hotel and its staff set standards; room was perfect, comfortable; I slept well and that's all I ask for. Breakfast was good - parking was arranged and I was even directed to a local dive when I asked. There is a good sushi cafe just up the road for a quick snack. A taxi was arranged in accordance which a special request I placed. As I said - everything was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My husband and I have stayed exclusively at Elan for the four years we have been coming to LA to visit family. We are always treated like family at Elan-which is why I had no qualms about staying there this month when I had to travel alone.
The staff can't do enough for you- and the room is well decorated, yet comfy. The complimentary breakfasts and wine hour are a perfect addition.
If you can get a room in the back on the second floor of this two-story hotel, you'll have a nice view of the Hollywood Hiils. That was a nice treat this visit! Can't wait to stay at Elan again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo