“New paint, old hotel”

Ranked #100 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“New paint, old hotel”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

When I'm in LA, I usually stay at a 4-star downtown hotel courtesy of Hotwire. This time, though, the Hotwire option was out of my budget, so I thought I'd give the Super 8 a shot. Bad idea.

The hotel isn't terrible--my room was clean, and the staff was nice--but it's a far cry from the Super 8 Culver City where I had stayed the night before. The bed was amazingly hard, and the pillows had that delightful bag-of-cottonballs feeling. My *favorite* part was the shower, which continuously alternated from hot to cold no matter how much I fiddled with the controls.

Next time, I will be going back to Hotwire, even if it means an extra $50 in hotel/parking/internet fees.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
zapatamagaly, general manager at Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 19 April 2010
First, i want to thank you for taking the time to let us know in areas where we can improve the quality of our service.Sorry to hear that our beds where not the most confortable one during your stay. Luckily we are in process of replacing all of our mattresses in the next couple of months. We will feel honor if you decide to stay in our property in the near future.Once again sorry for any inconveniences you had while staying at the Super 8 Los Angeles. Looking forward to meet you soon.
Magaly Zapata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Sacramento
Reviewed 31 January 2010

We were going to LA to see a show at Club Nokia found this hotel on tripadvisor, since it was the highest ranking motel under $100 I decided to check it out. When we got there I was impressed by how nice and clean the lobby was and how friendly the lady at the desk was, parking was easy and there was plenty when we got there. The rooms were a standard type room, but the nice thing is that there was a fridge, microwave, hair dryer, free wifi and a coffee machine. I felt safe and slept well I have stayed in much worse for far more money.

They offered a breakfast but I don't usually get up early enough to try them out.

Its about 3 miles away from downtown LA so a cab ride is cheap and easy and there are some really good hole in the wall restaurants that are in walking distance. This is where I am staying next time I am in LA

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
zapatamagaly, general manager at Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
I am very glad to hear you had a very pleasant stay at the Super 8 Los Angeles, we will definetely be looking forward to have you as one of our many loyal repeative customers in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly for future reservations 213-250-2233. Again, thanks for your time and business.
Sincerely
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I live in Orange County and frequently spend nights in LA for concerts, shows, dining or to visit friends. I chose this motel because it is close to a friend's house we visited, and don't like to make the drive home after a drink or two.
This motel provides:
- decent clean rooms
- 4 star hotel customer service
- a great continental breakfast
- affordable rates for a young traveler
- a great central location for any traveler with a rental car. Just a short drive to everything!

The surrounding neighborhood is run-down, but the over all location is a great alternative to a hostel or an overpriced 3 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
zapatamagaly, general manager at Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
Let me thank you for your time to write this review about the Super 8 in Los Angeles, I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel 8, taking in consideration that we are centrally located and only minutes away from Dowtown Los Angeles and Hollywood as well, or if you are a Dodger fan, you might of know already that we are steps away from the stadium, we hope to have you stay with us again in the near future. i will be looking forward to meet you in person and remember.................IF YOU DRINK DO NOT DRIVE!!!!!!!!!Just like you did last time, you will always find a affordable room here with a very comfortable bed here at the Super 8 in Los Angeles. See you soon
California
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Karla was the person at the front desk when I checked in and out. She was so friendly and helpful and wonderful! It is so hard to find people with GOOD customer service skills these days, let alone GREAT ones!!! I will stay at this hotel again and recommend it to my friends solely based on the awesome experience provided to us by Karla! Thank you!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
I want to thank you for taking the time to post this review about one of our most efficient desk attendant, I am reaaly glad that karla met your expectations of what a great customer service its all about. Knowing how close we are to major attractions such as Downtown Los Angeles and Downtown Hollywood, or better else, if you ever want to attend to a Dodger game or have an event at the L.A. Convention center, we are just minutes away from all these places, we hope you select the Super 8 Los Angeles as your next destination hotel in the near future. I will be looking forward to meet you soon.
Magaly Zapats
miami
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Well after reading some reviews on this website about this hotel i decided to booked a room here. I would like just to said that the reception staff was very helpful, Darlene was the one that take care of us. And she did a great job because my friend and i we did not have a car and she helped us how to used the buses and she gave us maps too. I think she does a great job.Thaks Darlene i hope we see you on my next trip to Los Angeles.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
zapatamagaly, manager at Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 24 August 2009
I want to thank you for te time to let us know how well your stay at the Super 8 in Los Angeles was, we try our best to provide all our guests with the best customer service possible . Hopefully you consider our location on your next visit to Los Angeles considering we are centrally located and only minutes away from downtown Los Angeles and also fron Hollywood and of course if you are a Dodger fan we are only walking distance from the Dodger stadium.
Please feel free to contact us directly for future reservations at 213-250-2233. Looking forward to meet you in person soon.
Dubai
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Simply read the comments I sent to this guy's boss!

Just a quick note to advise you of the excellent help and service I received from Mr. Manuel Martinez whilst I stayed at your motel, 31st July - 1st August.

I arrived really tired at 11:30 pm. I needed a phone card and directions as I had meetings at 6am the next day.

Mr. Martinez was very helpful with directions, shop opening hours and their locations and ensured my stay was problem free.

He even opened up the breakfast area early so I could have a coffee.

Again, many thanks.

Rgds,

Ian Withers.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
zapatamagaly, manager at Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 12 August 2009
I want to thank you for your time to post this comment about one of our best employees here at the Super 8 in Los Angeles,factoring that we are so close to downtown Los Angeles and from Hollywood, I hope you consider us on your next vacations to Los Angeles. Please feel free to contact us directly for future reservations at 213-250-2233. I will be looking forward to meet you in person.
Maggie Z.
Vancouver, Bc
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I always stay here when in Los Angeles. The rooms are super clean. The rooms are also very quiet which is quite amazing considering it is LA, I stayed in lots of places where I couldn't sleep a wink.
The rooms have everything you need -micro/fridge/iron/internet/dryer/tv.
Very close if you are shopping in the fashion district, less than 5 minutes away.
The only negative is that there are no amenities within walking distance. No drugstore, no coffeshops (the hotel offers continental breakfast), etc.
There is El Compadre Restaurant just a few blocks away and they do have excellent food.
So if you are looking for great value to lay your head down at night and don't care so much about what is around the hotel, then look no further, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
zapatamagaly, manager at Super 8 Los Angeles Downtown, responded to this review, 16 July 2009
We at the Super 8 Motel want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how well we are doing as a team trying to provide all of our guests with the best customer service possible, we also like to hear on areas where we can improve our service..........We are really glad to hear that you had a very pleasant stay and as a form of gratitude I, as a hotel representative, want to offer you a 15% discount on your future stay with us. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly for your future reservation. I will be looking forward on meeting you in person soon.
Maggie Zapata