“Great place with a view”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #53 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 November 2011

The room was spacious, modern and chic. We have a view of the Hollywood hills! Close to everything. Would stay here again

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Wilshire for one night in mid-September, not long after they opened, in a junior suite. The room itself was gorgeous and aside from some issues between our iPads and the WiFi, everything was great. The bed was very comfy, the television was good, the toiletries were nice and the bath was OUTSTANDING - we had a junior suite and the bathroom was incredible. We found the room to be very clean and well appointed. The one thing that was missing was a guest book with a list of amenities and room service menus - we searched everywhere and couldn't find one, but really needed one and it was sorely missed. Hopefully by now this has been rectified.

Unfortunately we were on the 6th floor right next to elevator; this hotel used to be an office building so they've had to make some concessions to the original architecture, and one of those concessions is that guests who wish to visit the very nice and trendy rooftop bar have to get off the elevator on the 6th floor and then transfer to another elevator to up (and vice versa). Tipsy young folks who are having a great time do not keep their voices and giggles down while waiting for for elevators next to hotel rooms at 1am, even when the folks inside are trying to sleep, and the doors at the Hotel Wilshire are not well insulated. It was Friday night, and we had been to a concert and had a great time but we still wanted to sleep after a long week... we couldn't, though, and it ruined our night. This 6th-floor problem is one the hotel needs to address if they don't want to deal with angry guests every night.

The restaurant was hit-or-miss, but it was early days so I will give them some time to work out the kinks... my British husband was miffed that they didn't know how to make tea properly, but his detailed notes for the staff hopefully were taken in and they're doing it a bit better by now.

All in all a decent stay, a few hiccups but the manager O'Neill gave us his card and asked us to inform him next time we were coming to stay so he could make sure we had a better stay, ie we weren't placed on the 6th floor!! We will return.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ElNorEast
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This is a stylish hotel w reasonable intro pricing. But the first room we had was not super clean. Stuff on the floor. We changed rooms from the 6th floor elevator area b/c of noise related to the need to switch elevators on 6 to get to pool restaurant. They graciously changed rooms. Second room -maid failed to empty melted ice. This is indicative of the lack of perfection that one expects. Rooftop bar/rest is a plus. Tiny pool! All in all, I enjoyed it, but thought that cleaning could be improved. Neighbors room service dishes were in the hall for 8'hrs. I say that hw is good. If they got their cleaning down better, it would be very good. I am glad we stayed here.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on 6th floor near elevators. The bar rest. Crowd conversations come in loud &...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I loved staying at The Hotel Wilshire! I can't say enough about how chic and impressive the decor is. The rooms are spacious, extremely clean (it's brand new) and the beds are so comfortable!

The rooftop bar was amazing and had a great view of the city. The rooftop drink menu is out of this world! I would highly recommend the Bourbon Smash!!!

The service was impeccable - the staff was friendly and accommodating.

I will def plan on staying here again! I love everything about this place!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kamar m
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We checked into the Hotel Wilshire on a Satruday afternoon and were greeted by a very friendly front desk person. I think the whole process took about 2 minutes. Our room was clean and comfortable with thoughtful touches like a technology outlet in the wall that could charge my iPad and allow me to connect an HDMI cable so that I could watch a movie on the flat screen TV. We had coffee at the roof top pool and restaurant and enjoyed the spectacular view. I stay in a lot of hotels and really like the friendly people who work here. Its little things like saying "hello" when you pass a staff member in the hall, or looking you in the eyes when they speak with you. There was no pretention or arrogance - just nice people. I look forward to staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank W V
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had other reservations at the new Marriott but switched to spend 4 nights at the new Hotel Wilshire because of the enthusiastic new reviews on TripAdvisor. We are not "boutique" hotel fans and have great preference for the new updated classic hotels but we wanted to be adventurous.... My husband and I just spent 8 nights in a big 1100 square foot suite with 2 bathrooms and a den at the Trump International Waikiki so we knew this Hotel Wilshire was not going to be close in amenities - but still it was quite a let down. First, all the employees look very unhappy. One housekeeper did smile when I greeted her on two occasions but then we leave a tip (to scale as recommended by the press) every single morning including on check out morning. The front desk is not friendly even when I am. We had a junior suite. It is decorated nicely (modern) but we found the infrastructure design really flawed. The ultra sleek bathroom has a rain shower (nice) with no shower curtain so the water splashes everywhere especially on their nice new bamboo wood floor. There's a soaking tub but the shower head that is installed does not remain directed at your body so it's not an option for a shower. The beautiful Roman shade in the bathroom has to stay all the way down because the large window is in full view of the office building and garage across the street. The living room area has an interesting look but the new upscale lighting is very dark even with all the lights on everywhere. The intro rates are reasonable but I would not stay here again because we did not feel at all welcome. When we checked out of the Trump Hotel everyone including the valet thanked us for staying with them. The Wilshire is a grumpy place. One big positive was the valet parking onsite - those guys were pleasant all the time.

Room Tip: We had a Junior suite which was average but seemed small for 500 square feet. The singles are half t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank contheroad
greg_rizzi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your visit to the new Hotel Wilshire Los Angeles! We are very glad that you stayed with us, and we again thank you for your constructive feedback. We value comments like yours because they help us run our hotel better. While we are glad that you had the luxe experience of being able to stay at a 5-star condominium resort in Hawaii, we feel it important to mention that The Hotel Wilshire is marketed in the 4 Star category of hotels and apologize if in some way we have miss-represented this, hence, we do not proclaim to be in the same tier as the Trump International Waikiki. Our 74-room independent boutique property has a strict emphasis on a comfortable, stylish and environmentally-friendly Los Angeles experience; we are as you have said, a brand new property, having come up on our 2nd month of operation. We thank you for your comments about staff; and agree a smile does go a long way, and we want all of our guests to feel welcome. We also apologize also for customer service you experienced and this has been addressed with the appropriate department managers and their staff. Every guest is our best customer at The Hotel Wilshire, and we thank you for your visit and your comments.

Kind Regards,
The Hotel Wilshire
Management & Staff

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Absolutely the most enjoyable vacation I have have ever been on and I would owe a huge amount of that to the Hotel Wilshire and its team. The place was clean, super enjoyable, relaxing, and beautiful, very nice designed. The staff was very friendly and had excellent service. I only got back a week ago and I want to go back there so badly! From check in to check out service was extraordinary!

Room Tip: I would reccommend 2nd floor,the rooms have patios!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family