“Hip w/ killer roof top pool, but strange location ”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #69 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, CO
“Hip w/ killer roof top pool, but strange location ”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Cool spot. Typical Kimpton property. Roof top pool and bar has amazing views!!! Comfortable rooms, great beds, but a bit small.

As for the location, it is odd. It's not really near anything, but a $10 cab ride or 5 min drive has you in Beverly Hills.

As for the restaurant food, we only ate breakfast and it was rather pedestrian. Good quality, but boring. Signature cocktails were excellent.

Overall, I'd stay there again even with the small inconvenience of the location.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Wilshire for your recent trip to LA. I'm so glad that you got to take in the views from The Roof - I agree, the panoramic views of LA cannot be beat! We also are in a very central location, within a short walk or cab ride of LA's top attractions. We hope that you'll be back to visit during future trips to LA!

Ashley Gochnauer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Better for couples.. came with 12 year old daughter .. pool closed at bad time for us.. bummer .. nice room though and love Kimpton overall and had a great time .. huge room and bathroom too .. walking distance to museums

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hannahbee99
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thanks so much for choosing the Hotel Wilshire for your recent stay in LA. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your room as well as the Kimpton experience. Our pool is located next to our restaurant, so in order to create the right atmosphere for dining, the pool does close for swimming in the evening. I truly apologize if this negatively affected your experience in any way! I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you (and your daughter) back sometime very soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have always been a fan of Kimpton properties. They are so consistent, always have friendly staff and I just like their overall vibe. Check in was smooth, hotel was chic, clean, trendy and fun. Great roof top pool/deck. Service was great, and the penthouse was incredible! I would highly recommend for girls/guys weekend, couples traveling and business travelers. All of the small touches make this hotel and every other Kimpton property I have been to an absolute pleasure to stay at!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Traveler,

What a great review! I'm so glad that we lived up to what you've come to expect from a Kimpton property. It sounds like we successfully hit the mark from the service you received to your wow-worthy room to those special touches that truly set Kimpton hotels apart. We hope you'll come back and visit us very soon.

Until the next time,

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I just got back from a two night stay at the Hotel Wilshire with two of my girlfriends and we LOVED it! Here are a couple of the highlights:

1. Location. Hotel Wilshire is very central for touristy activities (about 15 minutes to Beverly Hills, Universal, Hollywood, Runyon Canyon, etc.) but is not like staying smack dab in the middle of of the touristy parts.

2. Food and drink. We had the best time enjoying the complimentary happy hour on the roof every day, provided for hotel guests. The roof deck itself is stunning, with views of the Hollywood Sign and the rest of LA. There is also a great restaurant and pool deck on the roof.

3. The fun, quirky service. I cannot say enough good things about the fun service at this hotel. They emailed us a day before check in and asked if there was a picture of a loved one that we would like to have printed and framed in the room for our arrival….we chose the lead of the movie Carrie, which was probably not exactly what the hotel had envisioned for our "loved one," but alas, they accommodated. The hotel also offers the option to buy a pet goldfish for your stay to keep you company - hilarious! The concierge and valet were also exceptionally friendly and helpful.

4. The room itself! We had room 404, a gorgeous corner room with tons of space, which was perfect for the three of us. The bathroom was also huge, with a separate shower and tub. Even though the hotel is right on Wilshire, it wasn't too loud in terms of street noise. Everything about the room was PERFECT!

The only reason I am giving this four stars instead of five is we did not receive any housekeeping service during our stay. Granted, it was only a 36 hour visit, but I expected someone would come to make our beds and refresh our towels at the least. But, I am sure we were an exception, as I saw housekeeping carts around the floor many times.

I would highly encourage you to stay at this modern, yet charming and hip hotel! We will be back!

Room Tip: I would ask for a corner room, as they are likely bigger.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Traveler,

WOW! Sounds like an amazing girls' getaway! I'm so glad that the Hotel Wilshire was your destination of choice for such a special occasion. I agree, the room that you were in (the Premier room with 2 queen beds) is quite lovely and spacious. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the service you received from our staff - they definitely work hard to create memorable guest experiences. Lastly, we looked into the situation with your room not getting serviced, as we take this feedback seriously. Our records indicate that there was a Do Not Disturb sign on your door, so the Housekeeping team respected the request for privacy. I sincerely apologize if this was a mishap and for any inconvenience that was caused. We hope to welcome you back for your next girls' trip....Or for any occasion for that matter!

Warm regards,

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I chose Average but I'd like to say "Good". My husband & I stayed at the Wilshire for a Columbus Day holiday. The hotel staff kindly upgraded us to a suite and gave us a very nice fruit plate, bottle of wine and handwritten note in our room. That was very much appreciated and a nice touch.
The hotel is clean and nicely decorated (modern). The roof deck is wonderful. We didn't eat there but we did sit up there for a drink by the gas fireplace. The bathroom, bed and linens are excellent-comfy and plush. There aren't coffee makers in the room but they offered coffee starting at 7 am every morning, although 2 out of 3 days they were out of coffee and we had to chase somebody down to refill.
The location is mixed. The street itself is boring/ugly/downtown business. BUT, if you're willing to take a pleasant 10 minute stroll through an attractive residential neighborhood, you will hit 3rd Street, which is a mecca of interesting restaurants. We ate there two nights and found even more restaurants we wanted to try than we had time. All expensive, but that's part of the LA experience...
You can also park next door for $12/night which is good value.

Room Tip: I would ask to be on the back of the building where you have a view of the mountains. The front str...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennifer b
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you were welcomed with a surprise upgrade and welcome amenity. I sincerely hope that set a positive tone for the remainder of your stay! I'm glad that you also got a chance to check out our beautiful rooftop - I hope next time you will have the opportunity to dine with us! I agree with you about 3rd Street - it's one of my favorite areas in LA and just a short stroll from the hotel.

Thank you so much for choosing the Hotel Wilshire for your recent trip to LA. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Warm regards,

North Carolina
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Cool hotel with good service...rooms are fine...good shower and bathroom. Great irons...key for a business traveler. Great towels. Ideal location for my business.
Service on rooftop bar is solid...after reading previous reviews if the hotel it appears management listened and made changes. Attentive and professional manager at the rooftop restaurant...clearly knows what he's doing. Mauricio the bartender was attentive, professional abd a good conversationalist.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thanks so much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service! (And I agree with you - basic amenities like good towels and irons really do matter!) I'm so happy to hear that you had a great experience up at the Roof and that Mauricio, one of our bartenders, made a positive impression. Especially since we are conveniently located near your business, I sincerely hope that we see you again in the not too distant future.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Kimpton hotels never let me down, and this one was particularly nice - with a great, hip rooftop bar, and fantastic customer service. The beds are super comfortable, and we were upgraded to a room with jacuzzi tub. I am plotting a way to get back to LA just to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveler,

What a great review from a Kimpton loyalist! I'm so glad your experience at the Hotel Wilshire did not disappoint. I especially love the comment about fantastic customer service. We also hope that you have a reason to come back to LA very soon.

Until the next time!