“Nice boutique hotel with cool rooftop bar/pool”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #75 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Nice boutique hotel with cool rooftop bar/pool”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We got a room on the 6th floor facing Wilshire Boulevard and found it to be nicely decorated and very comfortable for our 3 night stay. The only thing that is a bit odd is the sliding door for the bathroom - there is a good size gap even when the bathroom door is closed so its definitely not sound insulated. As others have written, this hotel is in a convenient location - close to the Grove, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and LACMA. With that said, you pretty much have to drive everywhere - except if you want to go to LACMA or the Tar pits then its a nice 5 ~ 10 minute walk. The rooftop deck is hip and very cool with a small pool as the center piece.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again next time I'm in L.A.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator are quieter - especially if you're on the 6th floor. To get to the roof...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fullerton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Checked in very late and the front desk was very friendly. Used the parking lot down the street and got kind of freaked out bc the area is so desolate at night and no one is there to watch your car so I ended up using hotel valet and they were very nice and friendly. The room is TINY, but the bathroom is nice and spacious. I usually stay at the Hotel Palomar which has bigger rooms so I was a little disappointed, plus the beds here were a little too soft and made my back hurt in the morning. I can't really complain too much because the price was very affordable for LA and going places was always a ten minute drive away, but next time I think i prefer a hotel with bigger rooms and more to do on the same street.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. First, thank you for being a loyal Kimpton guest when visiting LA (staying with us and the Palomar!). Secondly, I assure you that this neighborhood is incredibly safe, but in the future, we do offer overnight valet parking if you prefer to park onsite. We also offer several different room types at the hotel, so you can always try a different room category for your next visit if you need a bit more space. I would be happy to assist with future reservations personally, so please don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of help.

We hope to see you back at the Hotel Wilshire soon.

ashley.gochnauer@hotelwilshire.com
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Pros: Modern, clean hotel located on Wilshire near (walking distance to) the La Brea Tar Pits and LAMCA, short drive to the Grove and Beverly Hills. Friendly / helpful staff. Free Internet.

Niggles: my standard room was smallish, looking on to a car park. Parking (valet only) is pretty expensive. There are a few fast food places and restaurants nearby, but nothing too exciting (you will probably want a car - but hey, it is LA).

All up not a bad place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Wilshire for your recent visit to LA! I'm so glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful and our location central - we are within walking distance to several of LA's must-see destinations, which is definitely a plus in LA! Regarding Valet parking, I assure you our overnight rates are incredibly competitive and lower than many other hotels in the area. We are also within walking distance of West 3rd Street, which has a wide array of great restaurants. If you come back and see us, our Guest Services team can definitely provide some great recommendations.

We hope to see you back at the Hotel Wilshire soon!

All the best,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Wonderful, extremely clean rooms. We LOVED the rooftop bar/pool with sweeping views and very cool atmosphere. Very central position - easy to get anywhere from here! Ask to be at rear of property as Wilshire Boulevarde can be a bit noisy!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Traveler,

We are so glad that you had such a great time on your recent stay! I agree, the views from our rooftop can't be beat! And our hotel is indeed in a very central location to the best of what LA has to offer. I hope that you will come back and see us again very soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

After staying at the Hotel Wilshire, I will be making a point of seeking out Kimpton properties in the future. I stayed on business for three nights and have very few complaints!

Pros:
-My room (611) was roomy with a king bed, desk area, chaise, and a decent view
-Was invited to send a photo ahead of time that they framed and had waiting on my bedside!
-The tub was AMAZING -- huge, but potentially a little difficult to get in & out for some folks
-Wine hour! From 5-6 each evening, complimentary wine in the lounge -- yes, please!
-Accommodating, nice staff -- including valet service that was always prompt
-Central location, making it easy for me to get to meetings all over the city

Cons:
-Skip the room service! The food was over-priced and terrible (like, really terrible)
-The staff, while very nice, wasn't great with the food/attractions recommendations
-The volume on the tv seemed to be controlled -- couldn't turn it up passed a certain point

Tip: I booked my room directly, over the phone. Not very high-tech of me, but their customer service was fantastic and accommodating -- got a better rate!

Room Tip: I recommend booking directly; I got a better rate. If you're on the 6th floor, ask to be placed...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Traveler,

I'm so happy to hear that we've made you a Kimpton convert! It's great to see that you enjoyed your room and got to take advantage of our fun perks, including the framed photo offer and our evening Wine Hour. And I agree completely - we do indeed have a very friendly staff! On the other hand, I'm so sorry to hear that your Room Service order left a lot to be desired. Your comments have been shared with the Roof team and we will take action to ensure there is appropriate follow up on the food quality. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Another one of the Kimpton hotels I stayed at in LA. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to the penthouse, which was beautiful. It has a private entrance near the pool, and my only comment would be that the entrance area was dark at night. Great private deck. Romantic bedroom with views into the bathroom/bathtub, which my friend and I laughed about. The shower features double heads, including a rain shower. All-in-all, nice designs and features!

The hotel is between the LACMA and Beverly Hills (very short drives) but there didn't seem to be much going on within walking distance of the hotel. The block itself did not look wonderful, but it seemed safe enough. My friend and I parked our car on the street with no problems.

Would stay again, especially if it were another upgrade to the penthouse.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Traveler,

Wow! Looks like you won the lotto with that upgrade! I'm so glad it was a fun and comfortable stay. It's great to hear that you took full advantage of your beautiful suite as well as our rooftop. We are indeed quite centrally located and within walking distance of the Farmer's Market and the Grove, 3rd Street and Museum Row. LA's other top attractions are within a short drive. We hope the Hotel Wilshire will be your destination of choice when you return to LA.

Until then,

Limassol, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We found our stay at Hotel Wilshire to be very pleasant! The hotel is centrally located and very close to nice spots in Beverly Hills area. Everything looked new, the hotel was clean and trendy.
We recommend this if you are ever in LA.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveler,

What a great review! We are so glad that you enjoyed the clean, modern design of our hotel....It really gives our guests a true "LA experience!" And yes, we are also a quick jaunt from the heart of Beverly Hills, which is a must-see for travelers coming to LA.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

All the best,