“Best kept Beverly Hills Secret”

Kimpton Hotel Wilshire
Ranked #76 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambria, California
“Best kept Beverly Hills Secret”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely loved this hotel. Had an amazing nights sleep (which is saying a lot for me) bed and sheets were super comfortable. Lots of space. Large TV. Perfect fridge. Looks like it was a house or apartment complex at some point, so the rooms are perfectly sized. Very quiet. Excellent customer service. Will stay again for sure!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed some R&R during your recent stay. It's our goal to create an urban oasis for our guests, right in the middle of LA! I'm also glad to hear our staff made a positive impression. We definitely have a great team who loves taking care of our guests. We hope to see you back at the Hotel Wilshire very soon.

Ashley Gochnauer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atascadero, California
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel staff was very nice and attentive, everything was easy and relaxing. Upon check in they upgraded us to a suite which had the most amazing bathroom and everything was really clean. They even brought my husband a cupcake and bottle of champagne for his B-day! I was very impressed they did all this for us, it really made our stay special. We ordered breakfast room service and it was awesome. Had a great dinner on the hotel roof with great drinks and service. Highly recommend this hotel, stay here and you won't have anything to worry about. My only complaint if I had to think of one would be the comforter on the bed was obviously not washed before our stay but I didn't let it bother me.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Melrose suite. Amazing huge tub and shower "room" with white marble. Also...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clockhar
Dear Traveler,

Sounds like you and your husband enjoyed a great birthday getaway! We're so happy that we could play a part in that. I'm glad to hear the staff recognized the occasion by sending up some celebratory bubbly and birthday treats. It's our hope that you make a stay at the Hotel Wilshire a birthday tradition and we see you again next year....if not before! Please feel free to reach out to me directly for assistance with reservations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a hotel with the best view in Wilshire BLVD !! Roof top is facing Hollywood sign and you can relax for lunch or dinner. Staff are more than happy to help and make all your wishes come true ! Food is fantastic and YUMMY !! This hotel is great for business, pleasure, or me time. I had an amazing time at this hotel. You can walk to all CHIC area of Beverly Hills, including South Robertson Avenue famous for Antiques ! Bon voyage !

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Traveler,

I completely agree! Isn't the view from our rooftop amazing? And I love your comment about the staff making wishes come true....We certainly give it our best with every guest we interact with. It sounds like you had a great time enjoying some relaxation at the hotel and exploring the surrounding neighborhoods. I hope that you will become a frequent guest of ours and that we'll have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon.

Until then,

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here one night and found a clean and nice room that is the standard at this hotel chain.If business travel is your thing this hotel is in the Wilshire business area and very convenient.Got to give it to Kimpton for running a great hospitality chain.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a city view
Green Features: Kimpton is very into the environment in it's practices at all hotels
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Traveler,

Thank you so much for the Kimpton shout out! We always love to hear from our loyal guests. I'm so glad that your stay at the Hotel Wilshire met the standards you have come to expect from a Kimpton hotel. We hope to be your first choice when visiting LA for work....or play!

Hope to see you again soon,

Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The rooftop bar is a great place to get lunch or a drink with good views, small pool. The shower is awesome, huge rain shower head you don’t want to get out!
From the time you enter the building and continuing through check out, the staff is incredible!
As an Inner Circle member with Kimpton I always receive quality service, but as far as I can tell so does everyone else! Talking with other guests at the rooftop bar they all seem to say the same thing The Wilshire is a great hotel whish they head hear about it before. Great price, much friendlier and comfortable then your typical business hotel.
The manager and front desk staff went way above and beyond in making me feel welcome. The Bellhops, Valets, are very professional greet you kindly when you check in and make sure you know where your going when you leave. If you want to be pampered, and made to feel like you are the most important guest in the building, stay at the Kimpton Wilshire!!
Great location
Great Vibe, clean and chic
Great service
Great price
Great Rooftop bar

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter K
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Traveler,

I simply love to see comments talking about how incredible our staff is! I couldn't agree more. Additionally, it's always great to get feedback from our Inner Circle members, as you are "pro" travelers to say the least! We really strive to give our guests a warm, friendly and comfortable experience, so I'm thrilled to hear that we hit the mark during your recent stay. I hope that the Hotel Wilshire will be your home away from home when visiting LA from this point forward!

Thanks again,

New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is a great little hotel with all the Kimpton amenities. The location is a good point for driving in any direction but there is not much in walking distance. LACMA & the Tar Pits tare about a 5- 10 minute walk but otherwise you need to drive. The hotel staff are very helpful and the valets are wonderful. I was in and out with my car multiple times a day and the car was always waiting for me and the valets always helpful. The rooftop bar is a great place to get lunch or a drink with a nice view and a small pool. Finally the shower is fabulous - a huge rain shower head - the best shower of any Kimpton I have stayed in yet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ashley G, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Wilshire, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Traveler,

I'm so happy to hear that you found the Hotel Wilshire to be centrally located and well suited to your needs. I couldn't agree more that our staff is top notch - they aim to exceed our guests' expectations at every turn. And who can argue the importance of a great shower? I certainly cannot! Thanks for sharing your feedback on your recent stay and for being a loyal Kimpton guest. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have just returned from a trip to West coast and stayed at The Hotel Wilshire for part of my trip. We stayed Friday evening until Monday.

The good points:
- Friendly front of house staff
- Valet staff very helpful and cheery and willing to help out with directions and picking up the bags etc
- Decently sized rooms
- Comfortable bed
- Modern bathroom with shower / bath combo
- Room service menu decently priced and good variety to choose from
- Roof deck is great for breakfast and has amazing view of the Hollywood Hills
- Good location but you will need a car but this is the norm for any stay in LA
- Daily wine hour although we did keep missing this but was told by other guests that they had enjoyed it

Downsides:

Valet parking is $34 a night then add tax on top. Expensive but then your car is safe and they allow you to have in/out privileges with it.

Room servicing was extremely poor for a hotel of this star rating. During our 3 night stay, I had noticed on check in that there was a large amount of dust in the bathroom on top of the glasses (luckily covered in plastic), dust along the mirrors edge, dust on top of most surfaces in general in the bathroom. This didn't worry me as I have seen this in the past and it normally gets cleaned in the next service, it did not and wasn't throughout our stay.
On our third day (Sunday) of staying, we had left our towels on the floor as instructed by the sign so we could have them changed and went out for the day.

On our return, I noticed that the bed had still not been changed but had just been made up which is odd for most hotels I have stayed at as most of them change the bedding by that point, the bath still had hair in it, the hairdryer was still on the floor where I had left it and then I picked up one of the hand towels and noticed that the cleaner had simply folded up the dirty towels we had left earlier on the floor and put them back on the rack and the pile still dirty. Dust was still on all of the items mentioned earlier.

We were heading out for the evening and I explained to the front desk person the issue and they apologised and said they would have the room fully serviced again.
On our return, the bed was still in the same state and had not been changed as nothing had been moved from the bed, the towels again had just been folded up and put back in a different pile but were still dirty and the bath still had hairs in it.
On checkout the next day I explained to the Front Desk person the issues we had encountered and that things like shampoo had not been replaced during our stay and explained that I had been assured the previous night the room would be cleaned properly, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he would let housekeeping know and that was all he said he would do.
I was surprised at this response as most hotels would apologise and offer a form of goodwill to apologise for the poor standard of cleaning. We just paid and left, on checking the printed bill later I then realised we had been overcharged for the valet parking by a double charge which I then had to call and have removed from the final bill.

A good stay was marred by poor room service, poor response from the front desk and I don't think I will be staying here again on my next trip to LA as I would be worried to have the same experience again.

We stayed at another Kimpton Hotel in San Diego and had a completely different experience on the cleaning where the room was clean all over, room changed daily and we were also gave a voucher for a complimentary glass of wine from the restaurant as we had missed the wine hour which was not offered at Hotel Wilshire.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends